AJ is the #2 starter?

Blackout

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AJ Burnett career: 3.99 ERA/3.93 FIP/3.80 xFIP

AJ Burnett 2010: 5.26 ERA/4.83 FIP/4.66 xFIP

Why couldn't last year just be a bad year? Hell, between '05-'09 he was basically a 3-4 WAR pitcher...which is damn good...basically a good #2 pitcher and a really strong #3 pitcher...hell he even threw in a couple 5 WAR seasons which is basically a non-elite #1...Why in the hell is his 2010 now treated as his norm?

Personally, I'm gonna put my money on Burnett being a much better pitcher this year compared to last.

Got roughed up in a minor league outing today. I don't put much stock in Spring Training stats for proven major leaguers.

Dice-K is said to be on the trading block

Lackey isn't showing anything this spring

Who knows what Becks has left

All that and THE WORST catching tandem in baseball

It's wide open this year

in the grand scheme of things, why does ANYTHING matter?

we all die....so therefore nothing should matter right?

back to my topic...AJ sucks. he should be pitching 5th.

Where someone pitches in a rotation means virtually nothing until the post season. Phil Hughes will pitch the next day, CC will pitch the day before. I don't see why it matters. During the coarse of a season, they will get the same numbers of starts.. give or take

AJ Burnett career: 3.99 ERA/3.93 FIP/3.80 xFIP

AJ Burnett 2010: 5.26 ERA/4.83 FIP/4.66 xFIP

Why couldn't last year just be a bad year? Hell, between '05-'09 he was basically a 3-4 WAR pitcher...which is damn good...basically a good #2 pitcher and a really strong #3 pitcher...hell he even threw in a couple 5 WAR seasons which is basically a non-elite #1...Why in the hell is his 2010 now treated as his norm?

Personally, I'm gonna put my money on Burnett being a much better pitcher this year compared to last.

It is likely because he has underachieved his entire career. AJ is recognized as one of the most talented pitchers, but he has never lived up to his potential. I would not be surprised if he was in CY contention this year.

It's wide open this year

Dice-K is the #5 starter. A lot of teams would like to have that problem.

Before his last start, Lackey had only allowed 3 runs in 15 plus innings. Nope. He's shown nothing.

Beckett is the wild card, yes, but having Lester and Buchholz at the top makes it a little easier not known what to expect from Beckett.

The catching situation is fine. They aren't going to set the world on fire hitting, but in the Red Sox line-up they won't have to.

It is wide open this season. Just like every season. I'm just confused as to how my comment about AJ Burnett has anything to do with your diatribe against the Red Sox. Are you that worried?

Dice-K is the #5 starter. A lot of teams would like to have that problem.

Before his last start, Lackey had only allowed 3 runs in 15 plus innings. Nope. He's shown nothing.

Beckett is the wild card, yes, but having Lester and Buchholz at the top makes it a little easier not known what to expect from Beckett.

The catching situation is fine. They aren't going to set the world on fire hitting, but in the Red Sox line-up they won't have to.

It is wide open this season. Just like every season. I'm just confused as to how my comment about AJ Burnett has anything to do with your diatribe against the Red Sox. Are you that worried?

It's so funny that while everyone here knows that Boston has a great team this season and that the AL east is going to be a dogfight, Carl is such a blind homer that he can't even take a realsitic look at his team. Any team would love to have Dice-BB? Really? Lacky is a given after being awful last year? Your catching situation would be an major weakness of the team if you were in the friggin international league. BTW any time any team says about any player "our lineup is good so he doesn't have to to hit" that not good.

Edit: Good ole Laptops Mcgee gave up 11 runs today haha

It's wide open this year

Lackey has been fine. Gave up 5 runs in one start but just 3 in his other 15 plus innings.

Yanks will likely grab the first available Ace when that team falls out of their WC race but with the way Nova has been pitching and if A.J. and Colon/Garcia can give them 20-22 wins between them they may not need to.

P.S- The Yanks catchers have been nothing to write home about this spring. I'll take Salty and Varitek right now.

As a Met fan I look forward to the AL East race this year.

It's so funny that while everyone here knows that Boston has a great team this season and that the AL east is going to be a dogfight, Carl is such a blind homer that he can't even take a realsitic look at his team. Any team would love to have Dice-BB? Really? Lacky is a given after being awful last year? Your catching situation would be an major weakness of the team if you were in the friggin international league. BTW any time any team says about any player "our lineup is good so he doesn't have to to hit" that not good.

Edit: Good ole Laptops Mcgee gave up 11 runs today haha

Can't argue the catching situation.

Outside of the Phillies and Rays, what team would not want Dice-K? And by Dice-K, I mean the peaks and valleys pitcher that nibbles too much, but is solid more often then not. No one wants him as their #1, but he is not the worst choice for a 3 through 5 starter on most teams.

Lackey is what he is. He is decent. Like Dice-K, last year, he was up and down. He did win 14 games and has been solid his entire career. A +.500 pitcher in all seasons, but one. I think last year was more the big contract and going to Boston. He showed up at camp in a lot better shape.

The Sox do not need Tek or Salty to have huge years. The last few years, that was not a luxury. As long as they are not hitting .198, the Sox can afford to have them hit .248 at 8th or 9th.

Lackey has been fine. Gave up 5 runs in one start but just 3 in his other 15 plus innings.

Yanks will likely grab the first available Ace when that team falls out of their WC race but with the way Nova has been pitching and if A.J. and Colon/Garcia can give them 20-22 wins between them they may not need to.

P.S- The Yanks catchers have been nothing to write home about this spring. I'll take Salty and Varitek right now.

As a Met fan I look forward to the AL East race this year.

Martin is mediocre but he's light years better than either Boston catcher and he'll probably be on the bench by the all star break anyway once Montero gets promoted.

Martin is mediocre but he's light years better than either Boston catcher and he'll probably be on the bench by the all star break anyway once Montero gets promoted.

Homer thy name is mademike.

Martinis light year's better? :rl:

He is marginally better and seeing he has not hit for $hit the last two years, it is even debatable he is marginally better.

I like Martin but the truth is he has not done anything in a coupe of seasons. Salty was just as hyped a prospect as Montero so there is always the chance he finally puts it all together.

Montero, like Salty in his career, has looked nothing like a guy ready for the Majors this spring. While there were expected defensive growing pains we at least thought he would be able to hit big league pitching. He has not shown that ability in a small sample size so predicting he will be the starting catcher at any point this season is just talking from hype and not actual production.

I like Martin but the truth is he has not done anything in a coupe of seasons. Salty was just as hyped a prospect as Montero so there is always the chance he finally puts it all together.

Montero, like Salty in his career, has looked nothing like a guy ready for the Majors this spring. While there were expected defensive growing pains we at least thought he would be able to hit big league pitching. He has not shown that ability in a small sample size so predicting he will be the starting catcher at any point this season is just talking from hype and not actual production.

Supposedly, the Mariners did not want him because they did not think he could be a MLB catcher. Talk is that he regressed during camp defensively. I thought that he was supposed to hit regardless.

Still just a kid, but the hype sometimes is astounding.

Supposedly, the Mariners did not want him because they did not think he could be a MLB catcher. Talk is that he regressed during camp defensively. I thought that he was supposed to hit regardless.

Still just a kid, but the hype sometimes is astounding.

You're acting like Jesus Montero is the first player to be hyped.

Every team has "hyped" prospects.

Wrong. Salty was never a top 3 prospect in all of baseball in every list and MORE IMPORTANTLY Montero has actually produced in the minors much better than Salty ever did and at a younger age. I'm gonna ignore your moronic use of his 37 spring AB's as proof of anything.

Hughes is a legit no 2 starter and he's still very young. He's been exactly what I said he was going to be. He was an awesome RP and he's coming off a very good season at a young age. Whats your point?

His numbers are very "mediocre" and his stuff is not "HOF type".

What about him is "awesome"?

It is likely because he has underachieved his entire career. AJ is recognized as one of the most talented pitchers, but he has never lived up to his potential. I would not be surprised if he was in CY contention this year.

He's a guy with a sub-4 career ERA who's put up almot 40 WAR over the years...Most guys would love to underachieve like that...I mean he turned himself into a legit #2 starter in the AL East behind THE Doc Halladay...

He's a guy with a sub-4 career ERA who's put up almot 40 WAR over the years...Most guys would love to underachieve like that...I mean he turned himself into a legit #2 starter in the AL East behind THE Doc Halladay...

BARELY sub 4 ERA. He's never had a season with an ERA below 3.30. Ten games above .500. Dude might have great stuff and had flashes of brilliance but he's never been anymore than mediocre. He's also been crap in the postseason.

Yeah because I'm the only Person who says Montero is going to be a great player haha. You're clueless.

:rolleyes:

So he "is going to be great"...no doubt about it?

It is funny. Any Sox fan, or other team fan not named the Yankees, tries to project a players contribution based off of scouting reports is a fool.

You are saying "he is going to be great" when he has yet to face a major league pitch outside of spring training.

They guy could end up being the G.O.A.T. but it is a long way between a really good prospect and the Hall of Fame. He could go on a weekend bender and kill 12 people this weekend and never sniff the majors.

Where someone pitches in a rotation means virtually nothing until the post season. Phil Hughes will pitch the next day, CC will pitch the day before. I don't see why it matters. During the coarse of a season, they will get the same numbers of starts.. give or take

Yes. If all goes according to plan, the Yankees have 162 games to evaluate who should be the #2 come the postseason.

They guy could end up being the G.O.A.T. but it is a long way between a really good prospect and the Hall of Fame. He could go on a weekend bender and kill 12 people this weekend and never sniff the majors.

Yes that is relevant.

Archived