AJ is the #2 starter?

Blackout

His numbers are very "mediocre" and his stuff is not "HOF type".

What about him is "awesome"?

Let it go Scott.

Hughes was excellent last year. Yeah I know you are going to say that he had 2 good months. He had a really good season. He is young and time will tell if he is good, great or a flash in the pan.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rolleyes:

So he "is going to be great"...no doubt about it?

It is funny. Any Sox fan, or other team fan not named the Yankees, tries to project a players contribution based off of scouting reports is a fool.

You are saying "he is going to be great" when he has yet to face a major league pitch outside of spring training.

They guy could end up being the G.O.A.T. but it is a long way between a really good prospect and the Hall of Fame. He could go on a weekend bender and kill 12 people this weekend and never sniff the majors.

So could any major league player. Thats a complete non-point. There is nothing to go on but his ACTUAL PERFORMANCES IN HIS CAREER which have all been stellar even though he's been the youngest player in pretty much every LEAGUE he's been in. There is a reason every person who knows anything about the minors loves him. The fact that you're a boston homer and hope he's a bust is really meaningless when you take the facts into account.

BARELY sub 4 ERA. He's never had a season with an ERA below 3.30. Ten games above .500. Dude might have great stuff and had flashes of brilliance but he's never been anymore than mediocre. He's also been crap in the postseason.

Tell that to the Phillies. He pitched one of the best games on that series. Remember?

He only had 2 good months. Excellent pitchers do it for a year.

My point was we have been through this before.

He had an excellent year all things considered. Was he one of the best pitchers in baseball overall? No. But in his first year back to the rotation, with the innings limit (all things considered) he did excellent. This year when he can settle in and doesn't have to worry about.

There are articles about Hughes velocity being down. Mets fans go out of their way to make sure Yankee fans don't overstate his worth.

I am not sure why he gets all the attention in a negative way. Here is what is known:

• Phil Hughes is 24 years old
  • He is 31 - 18 in his major league career
  • He was a big part of a World Championship team
  • He had an excellent season as a setup guy

Like I said earlier, how good will he be? Time will tell. I, as have a lot of Yankee fans, have always liked the kid. And think he has what it takes to be a front of the line starter. If he were on the Mets...ah, nevermind.

He had an excellent year all things considered. Was he one of the best pitchers in baseball overall? No. But in his first year back to the rotation, with the innings limit (all things considered) he did excellent. This year when he can settle in and doesn't have to worry about.

There are articles about Hughes velocity being down. Mets fans go out of their way to make sure Yankee fans don't overstate his worth.

I am not sure why he gets all the attention in a negative way. Here is what is known:

Like I said earlier, how good will he be? Time will tell. I, as have a lot of Yankee fans, have always liked the kid. And think he has what it takes to be a front of the line starter. If he were on the Mets...ah, nevermind.

I was only disputing that he has not been an "excellent" pitcher as a YANKEE fan claimed. If you want to paint some picture about the future, go ahead. All I can state is what he has been. Which is mediocre as a starter, which he is today.

I consider my comment particularly pertinent, because said poster said that he had "HOF kind of stuff" in the Minors. That is where my comment was directed.

So could any major league player. Thats a complete non-point. There is nothing to go on but his ACTUAL PERFORMANCES IN HIS CAREER which have all been stellar even though he's been the youngest player in pretty much every LEAGUE he's been in. There is a reason every person who knows anything about the minors loves him. The fact that you're a boston homer and hope he's a bust is really meaningless when you take the facts into account.

You cannot see the forest for the trees. :rolleyes:

What has he done in the majors? Nothing. That is all I am saying. Like with Hughes before, you are annointing greatness upon them before they have done anything.

And when you do not wish failure upon Boston prospects then you can call me out.

And Yankee Nation never overstates his value right? :rolleyes:

You cannot see the forest for the trees. :rolleyes:

What has he done in the majors? Nothing. That is all I am saying. Like with Hughes before, you are annointing greatness upon them before they have done anything.

And when you do not wish failure upon Boston prospects then you can call me out.

Oh I get it. PLayers just appear in the majors by magic with no track record. God you're dumb. By this moronic logic every minor league player is the same. I wonder how they get promoted from one level to another if their performances are meaningless... Maybe cashman just picks names out of a hat.

I was only disputing that he has not been an "excellent" pitcher as a YANKEE fan claimed. If you want to paint some picture about the future, go ahead. All I can state is what he has been. Which is mediocre as a starter, which he is today.

I consider my comment particularly pertinent, because said poster said that he had "HOF kind of stuff" in the Minors. That is where my comment was directed.

Well since you brought it up, that is why I led with let it go. I am all for ball busting but to focus on what someone said years ago...just let it go. Doesn't make for a fun board.

Hughes wasn't mediocre last season btw.

I blame Dave Eiland. Clearly, it was all Dave Eiland's fault.

It will be interesting.... Eiland was fired so you would think they are putting a lot of this on him. I do think they upgraded in the pitching coach dept. But AJ and Hughes need to have good seasons for the Yankees get it done. Nova would be a nice wild card as well...

Well since you brought it up, that is why I led with let it go. I am all for ball busting but to focus on what someone said years ago...just let it go. Doesn't make for a fun board.

Woah. The worst poster on this site bringing up something up from 4 years ago out of context to try to troll for a reaction from me? COMPLETELY unexpected.

Your board, your rules of debate, I guess.

What about his overall performance was "excellent" last year?

Oh I get it. PLayers just appear in the majors by magic with no track record. God you're dumb. By this moronic logic every minor league player is the same. I wonder how they get promoted from one level to another if their performances are meaningless... Maybe cashman just picks names out of a hat.

You are clueless.

What has he done in the majors? Nothing.

Jose Iglesias is going to be the Sox gold glove SS for the next 15 years. Do you want to know how I know? All his scouting reports say he is awesome. He has performed exceptionally well in the minors.

How moronic does that sound? Very.

Listen, I am not saying Jesus is going to suck. I wish the Sox had a prospect like that at catcher, obviously, but like Jose and any other hot prospect. They need to proove themselves at the majors before I pencil them as a contributor at that level.

For every Clay Bucholz and Phil Hughes that fulfill their potential there are 10 Dewon Brazelton's that do not.

You are clueless.

What has he done in the majors? Nothing.

Jose Iglesias is going to be the Sox gold glove SS for the next 15 years. Do you want to know how I know? All his scouting reports say he is awesome. He has performed exceptionally well in the minors.

How moronic does that sound? Very.

Listen, I am not saying Jesus is going to suck. I wish the Sox had a prospect like that at catcher, obviously, but like Jose and any other hot prospect. They need to proove themselves at the majors before I pencil them as a contributor at that level.

For every Clay Bucholz and Phil Hughes that fulfill their potential there are 10 Dewon Brazelton's that do not.

By your retarded logic it's clear that Iglesias won't be a good player in the majors because after all, his minor league stats mean nothing and don't say anything about the type of player he's going to be when he magically appears in the majors. Go ask the bostons front office if they would trade him for Ramiro Pena at least he has a major league track record so he must be better right?. Maybe they are as clueless as you are and they would...

Iglesias could probably win a gold glove today. That doesn't mean he'll hit though. You know how I know that? I'm taking advantage of the data thats available about the player. I know thats a novel concept. I use that to see that Iglesias has not hit yet. The difference with Montero is that he HAS hit at every level.

Your board, your rules of debate, I guess.

What about his overall performance was "excellent" last year?

HAHA look at this whining baby. I love how you're crying about rules of "debate" when your brand of trolling for reaction and moronic nonsense points has NOTHING to do with actually having a debate.

By your retarded logic it's clear that Iglesias won't be a good player in the majors because after all, his minor league stats mean nothing and don't say anything about the type of player he's going to be when he magically appears in the majors. Go ask the bostons front office if they would trade him for Ramiro Pena at least he has a major league track record so he must be better right?. Maybe they are as clueless as you are and they would...

Iglesias could probably win a gold glove today. That doesn't mean he'll hit though. You know how I know that? I'm taking advantage of the data thats available about the player. I know thats a novel concept. I use that to see that Iglesias has not hit yet. The difference with Montero is that he HAS hit at every level.

Montero hasn't hit at the MAJOR LEAGUE level ;)

HAHA look at this whining baby. I love how you're crying about rules of "debate" when your brand of trolling for reaction and moronic nonsense points has NOTHING to do with actually having a debate.

I am asking "what about his overall performance was excellent" last year?

That is a repeat.

Try to answer back without calling someone else's ideas "retarded" or "moronic", just because they are not yours. or, buy some new adjectives, thoie are worn out.

I am asking "what about his overall performance was excellent" last year?

That is a repeat.

Try to answer back without calling someone else's ideas "retarded" or "moronic", just because they are not yours. or, buy some new adjectives, thoie are worn out.

I'm not going to have an actual discussion with a troll like you. Carry on your trolling though.

Yankee fans, baby. Even their Triple-A team should get Hall of Fame consideration. Get Hensley Meulens on that ballot. Sam Militello FTW.

It's my understanding the Mess needed a backup IF, and the Yanks cut Rafael Belliard. Unfortunately the Mess couldn't afford him

So using your logic, everyone that hits well in the minors automatically will produce in the majors because they hit in the minors. :rolleyes:

Please tell me you are not this stupid?

Never mind.

See: Buccholz, Clay

Since when have the RSN punched Clay's ticket for the Hall of Fame? Never.

Clay has been a solid starter for a season and a half. Can Phil say the same? No.

So using your logic, everyone that hits well in the minors automatically will produce in the majors because they hit in the minors. :rolleyes:

Please tell me you are not this stupid?

Never mind.

Rather than talking out of my a$$ which is pretty much all you do, I've actually taken the time to look at the track records of players who succeed and minor league stats are a great predictor of future major league stats. Is it a stone cold predictor of future performance? No. But guess what? neither are previous MAJOR league stats.

Archived