The Cubs Thread

vanDoug

And why not?

103 years since they last won the WS.

Go to any Cubs game outside of Chicago.

Cubs fans everywhere.

Pretty loyal bunch considering.

Hey, they visit Fenway this year. I hear about lots of Cubs fans traveling for that series.

Post your Cubs love/sarcasm here.

And why not?

103 years since they last won the WS.

Go to any Cubs game outside of Chicago.

Cubs fans everywhere.

Pretty loyal bunch considering.

Hey, they visit Fenway this year. I hear about lots of Cubs fans traveling for that series.

Post your Cubs love/sarcasm here.

Thanks for starting the thread Doug. I'll chime in a bit when we get going ... just coming out of my "can't watch any more of this till we get rid of Lou" mode which was prevailing the last couple of seasons. I'm as big a fan as any, I guess, but since 03 I've kind of developed a built in pain transducer that only allows a small level of enthusiasm to build before it drops out that circuit and makes me re-evaluate from scratch. With the "only here for the beer" version of Lou, There was no reason to get excited about anything and I think I've earned my right to turn them off when it's a high % shot they're just going to bungle again. I was at Wrigley for >25 games in 69 and many in the August meltdown - was just an early teen but could afford the train/El tickets and the $2.00 bleacher seat. Was there in 70 for Ernie's 500th against Atlanta. Was at all 3 home games in the 84 desecration, first night game ... and on and on and on. Was at 6 games including 2 in Atlanta in 03 ... watched the Bartman game at the ginmill by God's grace, but was there to watch Dusty leave a rested Clement and Z on the bench to bring in the master - the good Dr. Dave Veres to throw his last pitches in baseball and eliminate the Cubs in game 7. <burp>

I like Quade ... have no reason not to. Seems to do things right. We have no right side of the infield... a severe LD, hopping ninny in left ... and a well intentioned, but tank near empty Japanese fellow in right. The Mound could actually look good in all phases and there's a couple of promising kids. Hey ... who knows? I'm just looking forward to seeing how Quade and the new ownership can do with building a team. I'm back to basics as a Cub fan .... I think thats a good thing and I'm looking forward to the season.

Andrew Cashner is the 5th starter according to Muskrat...sweet...here's hoping he goes Latos/Verlander/badass all over their asses.

DJ LeMahieu will end the season as a top 2B prospect in all of baseball...this guy is my breakout STAH within the system.

Matt Garza will eventually have us saying "Chris Archer, who?" Which really...

Tyler Colvin will continue trying to become the next Shawn Green.

Yeah, just saw that Cashner was given the 5 job.

Not a bad rotation, though I don't think it's scaring anybody.

We'll see if big Z has grown up a bit.

That puts Silva in the pen, I'm thinking long relief.

Decent setup and closer if Marmol behaves.

DeWitt/Baker/Barney at 2nd?

Lots of questions.

Here's hoping we get the right kind of answers.

I'm good with Mike Quade managing as long as Hendry sticks to his job as GM.

Stay the ^%$# out and let the guy manage.

Thank you.

Well ... Doug, Troll, Gato, 712 .... you ready? This is as meager a dugout as we've had in the last few decades.

On the other hand, we've had a ton of all-star laden clubs that only knew how to crap the bed.

We've got pretty solid pitching from all angles and I really like the guy managing the team - who knows - we might be able to throw enough hits together and keep the miss cues low enough to do some damage. Here we go again ..... as you would say Doug .... Cheers!

I hate to break it to you, but the Cubs will play second fiddle to the Reds again this year.

cincinnatiredsmediumredbf1.gif

When I think of the Reds, I think of Dusty Baker with a Depends on under his uni as his feeble mind has dropped additional notches - not hoisting a pennant flag.

When I think of the Reds, I think of Dusty Baker with a Depends on under his uni as his feeble mind has dropped additional notches - not hoisting a pennant flag.

Last season he proudly hoisted the pennant in Cincinnati.

Likely to do it again this year too!

Garza with the strange 12 single, 12 K, no walk line...either way I'm excited to see this guy moving forward. He's been underrated since the trade since everyone wants to d-ride the absolute crap out of the Rays, but his stuff was nasty in his first start. The guy is a keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

8-8 - not horribly disappointing thus far considering Garza and Dempster have been rubbish and the rest of the starters are on the DL except for Z who has been great. Pena's even more terrible than I feared, but Castro is unconscious and Barney's playing well. Only a game behind Billy's Reds.

Archived