Dominican Republic Resorts - ever done one?

JerryK

Going next month...wondering if any of you have been there.

One of the consultants I work with grew up there and has a home there and in the States. I wouldn't have known about these places without him telling me.

I guess the trip between airport and hotel is kinda 'crappy' but we're going to give it a go anyhow. If I stop posting in May, you'll know where the FBI can look for my body.

Going next month...wondering if any of you have been there.

One of the consultants I work with grew up there and has a home there and in the States. I wouldn't have known about these places without him telling me.

I guess the trip between airport and hotel is kinda 'crappy' but we're going to give it a go anyhow. If I stop posting in May, you'll know where the FBI can look for my body.

I've been...but it was on a surf trip and it was far from the resorts. The haul from the Airport was a bitch, but we had a guide so there wasnt really any hassle. We were out on a secluded beach, just outside of San Pedro...we went on a couple of day trips to the other side of the island, near Haiti, but El Mando was the break...cant remember the beach.

Its very rural. The beaches are very secluded...lots of fallen trees. You can tell they just get destroyed by Hurricanes every year. Its gorgeous though. Lots of highland mountains, mixed with tropical vegetation and really cool black/white sand beaches w/ awesome blue water. Lots of reefs. We didnt have a ton of interaction with locals, but they were all very friendly when we did.

Fun place for sure, very hit or miss for surf, so I'll probably never go back...if I'm doing Island surfing down there, Puerto Rico is the way to go.

I was in the the Dominican Republic last month. I stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana and it was a beautiful setting and overall a really nice place. The beaches are beautiful and there are lost of topless chicks running around since there are a lot of tourists from Europe and South America. I assume you are staying at an all inclusive which is the norm down there and that is great since you can pound the drinks and eat until you explode if that is what you like with no sticker shock at the end such as on a cruise. You will get sick of the buffet pretty quickly but most of these places have a number of specialty restaurants that you need to reserve (still included). Just bring a pair of Dockers and some golf shirts for these places. One more thing, bring some immodium AD. I have been there twice and both times I had a day where I had a major case of the Hershey Squirts. If you plan on spending a lot of time on the beach, call a couple of days before you go and ask for a room close to the beach since these resorts are huge and you don't want to schlep back and forth to your room that is miles away.

On the taxi thing, be prepared to be swarmed when you leave customs. There will be taxi drivers, baggage handlers etc. I ordered a driver in advance from Dominican Airport Transfers (DAT) and I had a guy waiting with a card with my name on it, no fuss no muss. Same thing on the way back, they came to the hotel, we jumped in, no problem. Check out their website, you can price out the cost of the trip to see if it is worth it.My link There were six of us, so we needed a van, not a taxi and it worked well

I was on one to Porta Plata or whatever sounds like that...haha. It was a few years ago. Everything was all-inclusive, a nice beach area, and all that. Just don't venture too far from the resort; the local village was horrible. Drink as many El Presidente's as you like!

This is true, there is no sightseeing in the DR. It is all beach, drinking, eating and with a little luck, banging.

That country is infested with whores, it's absurd. It's pretty much impossible to talk to a local chick who doesn't turn out to be a prostie. I am in no way exaggerating here.

This is also true. Being with the wife, there was not much socializing with the local chicks going on.

That country is infested with whores, it's absurd. It's pretty much impossible to talk to a local chick who doesn't turn out to be a prostie. I am in no way exaggerating here.

It's not even that Joe.....I would say 99.9% of the women there that are not prosties per say, will prostie on a whim. Anything for a buck down there

And you have a negative tone about this why exactly? ;)

It's not even that Joe.....I would say 99.9% of the women there that are not prosties per say, will prostie on a whim. Anything for a buck down there

Exactly. There are a ton of out-and-out whores, but even the ones who aren't will flip the switch for a buck. The craziest thing was when I heard most of the guys ferrying these girls around on the back of their mopeds were either boyfriends or brothers. Imagine driving your whore sister around from trick to trick about 12 times a day. Ugh.

Archived