Sheppard retiring as Giants' announcer after 50 years

TaborJet

Sheppard retiring as Giants' announcer after 50 years

BLOOMBERG NEWS

Bob Sheppard will retire as public-address announcer at New York Giants football games after 50 years, staying on the same job he's done for five years longer with baseball's New York Yankees.

Sheppard said he decided to stop doing Giants games after this season partly because of the commute from his home in Baldwin, New York, to the National Football League team's stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The trip is 38 miles long and requires crossing two New York City bridges.

"This decision did not come suddenly," Sheppard said in a telephone interview. "Part of it is the long trip from Long Island to the heart of New Jersey."

Sheppard's retirement from the Giants was first reported in today's New York Times.

Sheppard declined to give his age, and Giants and Yankees officials said they don't know his birthdate. Some biographies list him at 95 years old.

A former high school speech teacher, Sheppard began announcing Giants games in 1956, when they moved from the Polo Grounds in Manhattan to Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

He remained with the team when it moved to temporary homes at the Yale Bowl and Shea Stadium, and then to Giants Stadium in 1976. "Fifty years in one job is a nice landmark for thinking about closing out your career there," Sheppard said. "It isn't 36 or 42 or something like that. When you reach a landmark like 50, something beckons and says,

I couldn't disagree more. There is something to be said for tradition. He will be missed.

c'mon ggg don't sell yourself short, i've seen you disagree a lot more than that before :lol:

If you reread my post , I said he will be missed for tradition's sake, & as an old school guy I agree a lot should be said for tradition. I'm sure if I attended the games as a season ticket holder year in & year out, he would grow on me & I would miss him a lot when he retires.

I also mean no disrespect to the man, just an observation that I was surprised he was so monotone & mundane imo

Michael Kay told a story yesterday and Bob Shepard doing the St John's games during the Walter Berry days.

He said the team was running and scoring all over the place. And Bob had a real hard time keeping up. By the time he announced who scored, someone else had scored.

Bob is awesome at what he does. But no way is his style suited for basketball. Baeball is the perfect sport for him!

Archived