The Kinks

bitonti

Kinks or Beatles  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better is a very strong word. I prefer the Kinks. Low Budget is one of my favorite albums ever. Well Respected Man, Dedicated Follower of Fashion, Ape Man, Lola, You Really Got Me, Sunny Afternoon, Where Have All The Good Times Gone, Super Man, Captain America...

I'm kind of like this as well. If I'm going to pick a band to listen to, I'm choosing the Kinks 9 out of 10 times. But its not because I think they are better, I just dont really dig the Beatles all that much.

If your talking popularity the Beatles were in a league of their own. The term "household names" come to mind. By comparison there's probably not a lot of people that could tell you who the drummer of the Kinks was. But your question of who is better? How do you answer that?

I like The Kinks, but they're just not in the same stratosphere as The Beatles.

They were around for longer, they had more phases... they led into Metal better... it's at least a conversation.

John Lennon reportedly loved the Kinks and demanded a DJ play Wonderboy all night long

I think to answer this question one would really have had to been around at the time of the British Invasion. What history seems to have forgotten is that there were actually 3 bands vying for the top slot; The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Dave Clark Five. The Kinks were down a notch below along with Gerry and The Pacemakers, The Hermans Hermits, The Hollies, and The Animals

I think to answer this question one would really have had to been around at the time of the British Invasion. What history seems to have forgotten is that there were actually 3 bands vying for the top slot; The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Dave Clark Five. The Kinks were down a notch below along with Gerry and The Pacemakers, The Hermans Hermits, The Hollies, and The Animals

agree with that... if we are talking only about "You've really got me" but the Kinks stuff from 1978/79 was maybe their best stuff, when almost all of these other bands were memories. only the Stones hung tough for that long.

agree with that... if we are talking only about "You've really got me" but the Kinks stuff from 1978/79 was maybe their best stuff, when almost all of these other bands were memories. only the Stones hung tough for that long.

yup...Celluloid Heroes is one of the greatest rock songs ever written IMO

That sums it up pretty well.

On another note.

Recall hearing Kinks guitarist Dave Davies was unhappy with the Doors "Hello I Love You" similarity to "All Day and All of the Night"

On another note.

Recall hearing Kinks guitarist Dave Davies was unhappy with the Doors "Hello I Love You" similarity to "All Day and All of the Night"

do you remember how big the DC5 was back then Doug? They had a ton of hits-even more than The Stones at that time of around '64, '65.

Meh. I really don't give points for longevity. Pearl Jam's been around for 20 years, and I'm still waiting for them to do something interesting. And the Stones kinda suck, even Mick Jagger knows it. He's just stuck with them because no one would take his shots at a solo career seriously.

Jimi Hendrix gave us more creativity in three studio albums than the Kinks have in three decades.

I like the Kinks, but I stand by my earlier comment. There are college music classes breaking down the Beatles' songs. They packed more brilliance into six years of recording than any other group did over a lifetime. You Really Got Me made a nice hit for Van Halen, but do you really think the Kinks did anything more metal-like than Helter Skelter? Black Sabbath had to be like WTF back in the day at that tune.

On another note.

Then Dave completely spun his own head around with Destroyer.

The Doors actually did a decent job of cloaking that riff with their style of play. I remember the first time I played it on guitar, I was like oh, yeah!

do you remember how big the DC5 was back then Doug? They had a ton of hits-even more than The Stones at that time of around '64, '65.

You know, I've certainly heard of the DC5, I know they were big at the time, but I couldn't tell you one of their songs off the top of my head...

So I went and looked, and Glad All Over was certainly a big hit, and probably a worthy successor to I Wanna Hold Your Hand, but by the end of 1965, the DC5's big hit was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qNGlkZ4fgc

Undoubtedly a big favorite with Brownsville Station, but the Beatles had already released Rubber Soul by then. Any competition was clearly long dead at that point.

I sure do. Dave Clark was a real stickler for band image. They were cranking out the hits. A different line-up than the Beatles. A full time keyboard player. And a sax player which you didn't see in a lot of bands. They shone brightly for a while then disappeared.

Jimi Hendrix gave us more creativity in three studio albums than the Kinks have in three decades.

no one talks bad about Hendrix cause he's dead and all but his studio albums are often self-indulgent, psychedelic bores. He doesn't have classic B sides or hidden gems that are just waiting to be discovered. Dont get me wrong, his hits are awesome, but the other songs are meh. His live performances were the real deal and what his legacy is about...

do you really think the Kinks did anything more metal-like than Helter Skelter? Black Sabbath had to be like WTF back in the day at that tune.

Helter Skelter was metal... I Want You/She's so Heavy on Abbey Road was also pre-metal. I don't want to take anything away from the Beatles. They were amazing, George Harrison's guitar work was genius.

My point... long since defeated... is that the Kinks are in that conversation. I don't accept that the Beatles are tier 1 rock band and the Kinks are tier 10 rock band. they are a-lot closer than people realize. and the more we listen to the Kinks the better they seem to get.

check out this great song from this British Invasion One Hit Wonder band The Honeycombs. Tell me it doesn't look like Austin Powers playing bass here

Funny vid. God what were they thinking? I can imagine them rehearsing the choreography......"no, no, no........let's do THIS".....

I think Austin's playing rhythym, not bass.

:lol:

I have a Kinks "Greatest Hits" CD with at least 24 songs all from Lola and before. I would say at least 16 of the songs are great.

no one talks bad about Hendrix cause he's dead and all but his studio albums are often self-indulgent, psychedelic bores. He doesn't have classic B sides or hidden gems that are just waiting to be discovered. Dont get me wrong, his hits are awesome, but the other songs are meh. His live performances were the real deal and what his legacy is about...

I've been a diehard Jimi fan my entire life, and this is not really correct. Valleys of Neptune was released just last year and contained some of his most sought after gems ever, especially the title track. Ditto for the BBC sessions that came out a while back. Axis, Are You, and Electric Ladyland are all considered modern classics. His guitar work on Axis might be the single best piece of rock work ever to be produced.

Archived