jets short list

bitonti

go OLB: watch Ryan Kerrigan, Justin Houston, Robert Quinn, Aldon Smith go early

hope that Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers or Jabaal Sheard fall

take best available play making OLB who can play early

that allows Tanny to possibly cut Bryan Thomas, maybe bring back an Ellis/Jenks

__ or ___

go DE:

Da'Quan Bowers, JJ Watt and Cam Jordan go early.

hope that Cameron Heyward, Muhammad Wilkerson, Allen Bailey is the pick, that replaces Ellis keep Bryan Thomas (maybe) and find OLB later

We nitpick at each other and all have favorites but would ultimately be happy with best avail DE or OLB, whoever the Jets scouts determine that to be.

at various stages we've seen mocks with all of these six names in top thirty.

I had to add Kerrigan Watt Jordan etc because of Kyle Wilson falling last year. These guys shouldn't be there but who knows what happens. If marcel dareus or Nick fairley falls that would great as well. but they aren't realistic options for the short list.

Is Clayborn in the mix if he falls?

yes i think he is... but remember he's more of a 4-3 RDE and doesn't fit any other roles well. But he's certainly a name they have to consider... i think a team like TB, NO or ATL snaps him up... he fits those teams defense really well. Not so much Rex's 3-4 hybrid.

just to summarize here is my take on the Jets short list:

DE

Cameron Heyward, Ohio St

Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple

Allen Bailey, Miami

LB

Brooks Reed, Arizona

Jabaal Sheard, Pittsburgh

Akeem Ayers, UCLA

How do you like Sheard, bit? Personally I'm a fan if he pushes his value up that high. What about guys like Jon Baldwin or Aaron Williams (to convert to FS) as sleeper picks (Williams much moreso than Baldwin)?

How do you like Sheard, bit? Personally I'm a fan if he pushes his value up that high. What about guys like Jon Baldwin or Aaron Williams (to convert to FS) as sleeper picks (Williams much moreso than Baldwin)?

Sheard has great value as a pass rusher... he's not an ideal athelete but that's kinda the problem with picking at 30. He's a very good athlete. I don't think they will go FS even tho it is a huge need. they say Curtis Brown is the best Texas DB and probably the first one taken, in the mid 2nd.

Sheard has great value as a pass rusher... he's not an ideal athelete but that's kinda the problem with picking at 30. He's a very good athlete. I don't think they will go FS even tho it is a huge need. they say Curtis Brown is the best Texas DB and probably the first one taken, in the mid 2nd.

I personally like Sheard in the late first but that's not necessarily consensus. He strikes me as a better fit schematically and style-wise than guys like Houston, Kerrigan, Smith, and Reed. Seems like the best combination of style/athleticism/size/motor for the position, but maybe that's just me.

Since I can ask you questions I figure I'll go with a bunch more I've been kicking around, and if you can get around to answering any that would be great. What about positions you think will be targeted later? I'm wondering if a mid-late round small school athlete at corner gets added. Rex loves em and with Coleman and Cro free agents depth there could be a concern. Know WR is a possibility, maybe a guy like Greg Little in the third if he's there? Don't think they'll mind his brash personality. If they don't go OLB in the first who do you think might be options there, think either of the WAC guys (Carter and Moch) are fits as developmental guys? Both have interesting tools but are obviously smallish. I wonder if they even address it if they don't do that in the first round. What about potential NT's besides Taylor and Ellis? Mid-round safety fits? Deunta Williams and Jarrett from Temple are interesting, wonder if they could take Dowling if he slips due to injury concerns and move him to safety. Think it'll have to be somebody who can tackle. Wonder if Ryan's intrigued by a guy like Sands from WVU, would certainly make up for some of Leonhard's height weaknesses and be an interesting guy to put on tight ends. Think they'll go with a developmental OL or just stick with what they've got there? Same question goes from blocking TE.

Who are you hoping for, A?

I really only followed the draft as a substitute for basketball, so now that the lights are back on at the Garden I don't know enough to have any kind of intelligent opinion. Christian Ballard?

I really only followed the draft as a substitute for basketball, so now that the lights are back on at the Garden I don't know enough to have any kind of intelligent opinion. Christian Ballard?

Ballard is another possibility, he should also be on the list... which at 7 names isn't really that short.

Derp i saw your post and am forming a response. alot of good questions my man

Certainly trending that way. Buckeye like Mangold, pedigree like Revis, fruit like Sanchez, sucks like Wilson.

I feel like Heyward's a classic overdraft candidate though. Can't see him getting past New England, San Diego, Baltimore, and New England again.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I can get it down to two plus a dark horse.

I think Kerrigan, Liuget, and Wilkerson all go in a run on defensive lineman in the middle third of the round. Carimi, Smith, and Wilson don't make sense from a roster standpoint with the CBA holding everything up. Taylor is a fat turd. I think the Jets will choose between Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston with an outside chance of trading down (or, if they've totally flipped for the kid, staying put) and drafting Randall Cobb. Given what I expect the board to look like at that point my pick would be Baldwin.

I think the Jets will choose between Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston with an outside chance of trading down (or, if they've totally flipped for the kid, staying put) and drafting Randall Cobb. Given what I expect the board to look like at that point my pick would be Baldwin.

that's not a bad take on it... do you think they will let Holmes or Edwards go? i can't see any scenario where the passing offense gets better without those players.

i also fully expect the Jets to draft Cam Heyward if he makes it to 30.

Someone in the 23 slot and down is going to trade back so that one of the QB needy (probably west coast offense) teams to trade up for Dalton, Ponder, Kapaernick etc. I have a feeling that's going to shake up the bottom of the draft and who's available for us. Should be interesting. I've been a big Brooks Reed fan for a few months now, but I see he's become the Jordy Nelson of this draft, so I guess I'll leave that one be.

that's not a bad take on it... do you think they will let Holmes or Edwards go? i can't see any scenario where the passing offense gets better without those players.

i also fully expect the Jets to draft Cam Heyward if he makes it to 30.

I never actually believed we were ever going to keep both of them anyway. Replacing one of them with Baldwin doesn't make the passing offense better right away, but Baldwin is still pretty good. I have no idea what we'd even do with Cobb. It certainly doesn't make sense to use a first round pick to replace Brad Smith. Heyward makes sense but almost certainly isn't the pick. The Jets are pretty transparent with their predraft process under Tannenbaum. Our first rounder is always somebody we brought in for a visit, from a position at which we've worked out multiple first rounders. See: Wilson (Jackson, McCourty, Robinson), Sanchez (Freeman), Gholston (Long, Groves), Revis (Hall, Ross). You can look this stuff up. Anyway, the guys you keep bringing up like Reed, Bailey, and Heyward make enough sense -- you've got the positions right, anyway -- but I haven't seen any documented contact with any of them. Only 25 or so of the 30 official visits have happened/been confirmed, but as of right now I would say our pick is about 2:1 to be one of Liuget/Wilkerson/Kerrigan/Ayers/Houston vs. the field.

I never actually believed we were ever going to keep both of them anyway. Replacing one of them with Baldwin doesn't make the passing offense better right away, but Baldwin is still pretty good. I have no idea what we'd even do with Cobb. It certainly doesn't make sense to use a first round pick to replace Brad Smith. Heyward makes sense but almost certainly isn't the pick. The Jets are pretty transparent with their predraft process under Tannenbaum. Our first rounder is always somebody we brought in for a visit, from a position at which we've worked out multiple first rounders. See: Wilson (Jackson, McCourty, Robinson), Sanchez (Freeman), Gholston (Long, Groves), Revis (Hall, Ross). You can look this stuff up. Anyway, the guys you keep bringing up like Reed, Bailey, and Heyward make enough sense -- you've got the positions right, anyway -- but I haven't seen any documented contact with any of them. Only 25 or so of the 30 official visits have happened/been confirmed, but as of right now I would say our pick is about 2:1 to be one of Liuget/Wilkerson/Kerrigan/Ayers/Houston vs. the field.

I've seen Cimini report that the Jets "love" Reed, but I haven't seen anywhere that they're bringing him in for a workout. I think Baldwin is really interesting. You have to worry about the "uncoachable diva" tag he's been slapped with, but I really can't remember a good WR ever come out without the "diva" label. I'm all for over-sized wideouts.

Liuget/Wilkerson/Kerrigan/Ayers/Houston

i'd have no problem with any of these names.

Jimmy Smith, Gabe Carimi, Cam Jordan, Martez wilson are also on the workout list.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/15/2011-draft-visits-and-workouts-tracker/

I hadn't seen Jordan, though I guess '4/?' means it's pending. He's certainly on the short list too. I know about Smith and Carimi and Wilson, but we haven't brought in any other first-round corners or tackles or linebackers, so they -- and Cobb -- seem like fallbacks in case we get shut out on ends and pass rushers (the latter seems more likely now, again most likely Ayers or Houston, since the five-technique guys we're looking at all project to be off the board at 30).

I've seen Cimini report that the Jets "love" Reed, but I haven't seen anywhere that they're bringing him in for a workout. I think Baldwin is really interesting. You have to worry about the "uncoachable diva" tag he's been slapped with, but I really can't remember a good WR ever come out without the "diva" label. I'm all for over-sized wideouts.

I bet Baldwin catches at least half of the passes Sanchez threw in the first half against the Colts. He's a monster. I like Baldwin a lot better as a fringe first-rounder than I like Green or Jones as top ten locks.

I bet Baldwin catches at least half of the passes Sanchez threw in the first half against the Colts. He's a monster. I like Baldwin a lot better as a fringe first-rounder than I like Green or Jones as top ten locks.

That's really interesting. It seems like Green and Jones are the safest (if there is such a thing) WR's we've seen come out in a long time. They have the size, the speed, the production, etc. What's not to like?

That's really interesting. It seems like Green and Jones are the safest (if there is such a thing) WR's we've seen come out in a long time. They have the size, the speed, the production, etc. What's not to like?

Not to speak for Aten...not at all actually but the knocks I have on these guys...

Green - Thin, especially for his height...speed isn't elite...those two combined have me a little weary of him...

Jones - Hands and polish. I like him better than Green personally, but I'm not sure he's the Andre Johnson clone I hope for.

go OLB: watch Ryan Kerrigan, Justin Houston, Robert Quinn, Aldon Smith go early

hope that Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers or Jabaal Sheard fall

take best available play making OLB who can play early

that allows Tanny to possibly cut Bryan Thomas, maybe bring back an Ellis/Jenks

__ or ___

go DE:

Da'Quan Bowers, JJ Watt and Cam Jordan go early.

hope that Cameron Heyward, Muhammad Wilkerson, Allen Bailey is the pick, that replaces Ellis keep Bryan Thomas (maybe) and find OLB later

We nitpick at each other and all have favorites but would ultimately be happy with best avail DE or OLB, whoever the Jets scouts determine that to be.

at various stages we've seen mocks with all of these six names in top thirty.

I had to add Kerrigan Watt Jordan etc because of Kyle Wilson falling last year. These guys shouldn't be there but who knows what happens. If marcel dareus or Nick fairley falls that would great as well. but they aren't realistic options for the short list.

I have heard from several good sources, that the Jets are looking at some of my Tar Heels,,aka, Little WR, Austin DT and Carter LB/ST stud..what u hear Draft Mephisto?

I also heard they see TE Zach Pinalto as a sleeper they can steal late.

I have heard from several good sources, that the Jets are looking at some of my Tar Heels,,aka, Little WR, Austin DT and Carter LB/ST stud..what u hear Draft Mephisto?

I also heard they see TE Zach Pinalto as a sleeper they can steal late.

of that group i think Little is the most likely... Williams or Searcy as well -they need safeties. Carter/Austin not really 3-4 fits, altho good players.

Pianalto interesting name yes I think he's in the mix for late round TE (hartsock replacement) along with Lee Smith Marshall, Martell Webb Michigan, Andre Smith Virginia Tech and Charlie Gantt Michigan State.

Archived