I'm in the market for a new laptop - Need advice?

Gainzo

Just wanted some input from laptop users. I'm getting sick and tired of my desktop and I don't use it much at home.

I'm looking in the $500-$700 range and have pretty simple requirements. I don't need great graphics, or insane memory or processor speed.

I just need a reliable machine that will be used for web-surfing, email and day-to-day stuff. My only requirement is Windows 2000. I can't stand Windows XP.

I took a look at the ThinkPad T21 and that seems to meet my requirements. I had a top of the line ThinkPad for a job a few years ago and I really liked it. I would prefer to stay with a name-brand.

Any input would be great.

I work for a very large company and we've gone to Dell laptops(from Toshiba) as our standard and are quite happy. The quality and pricing are agreeable. The only drawback is Dell's delivery. 5 days from order in U.S. 10 days to Canada. You can go to their web site and basically build your own box. They'll even do on line financing. Worth a look.

I work for a very large company and we've gone to Dell laptops(from Toshiba) as our standard and are quite happy. The quality and pricing are agreeable. The only drawback is Dell's delivery. 5 days from order in U.S. 10 days to Canada. You can go to their web site and basically build your own box. They'll even do on line financing. Worth a look.

The last Company I worked at developed pc card drivers (plug & play) for laptops running NT so I'm very familiar with Toshiba's especailly the Tecra's. I'm not that big of a dell fan.

I may go down to Best Buy / Circuit City this weekend and look around to get a feel for how comfortable the laptops are to use.

Anyone have any feedback on Sony Vaio's?

My only requirement is Windows 2000. I can't stand Windows XP.

Try overstocked.com - they have a lot of brand name products at significant discounts.

I'm curious, what dont you like about XP? I'm sitting here ready to write Gates a thank you letter for the product. I'm about 18 mos into it after upgrading from 98 and run some pretty heavy algorithm's with CAE softwares. For me it just runs and runs and runs.

Try overstocked.com - they have a lot of brand name products at significant discounts.

I'm curious, what dont you like about XP? I'm sitting here ready to write Gates a thank you letter for the product. I'm about 18 mos into it after upgrading from 98 and run some pretty heavy algorithm's with CAE softwares. For me it just runs and runs and runs.

I have an old Athlon 900MHZ and I recently upgraded to Win XP- Professional and let me tell you, XP speeds up the programs and it has not crashed. My old comp is from Compaq and the website said "Upgrade to XP at your own discretion" Well, i did it and do not regret it.

I would suggest that you look into Dell laptops. I have a Dell at home and it runs great. Also, here at my new job i was handed a Toshiba laptop, it runs well. No problems, thus far.

LL

If you are looking in the $500 - $700 range go to dell.com. Check their Small Business section, it may have better pricing then the Home section.

Look for OUTRAGEOUS DEALS. You should find something in there.

3-4 years ago, Dell laptops had tons of problems. The past 2 years I have bought a ton for work and haven't had any problems.

Good luck.

I came from Windows NT and I loved how easy it was to use. No gimmicks, no mickey mouse stuff just a good OS. XP to me is built for the novice user. I don't like the interface and I can't find anything quickly. I guess I'm just to stubborn to change. I'm used to Win2000 now.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll head over to dell.com and see what I can find.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are looking in the $500 - $700 range go to dell.com. Check their Small Business section, it may have better pricing then the Home section.

Look for OUTRAGEOUS DEALS. You should find something in there.

3-4 years ago, Dell laptops had tons of problems. The past 2 years I have bought a ton for work and haven't had any problems.

Good luck.

I have 50 or so Dell laptops in the field. I have had next to no problems with them. They have come a long way over the last couple of years.

The IBM T series laptops are nice... but stay away from the R series at all costs. I would say that over 60% (we have over 100 of them) have been shopped over the last 2 years. Each one for MAJOR issues (display, hard drive crashes, and mother boards).

I have 50 or so Dell laptops in the field. I have had next to no problems with them. They have come a long way over the last couple of years.

The IBM T series laptops are nice... but stay away from the R series at all costs. I would say that over 60% (we have over 100 of them) have been shopped over the last 2 years. Each one for MAJOR issues (display, hard drive crashes, and mother boards).

Bergen I agree with you. The Dell's from 5 years ago I had a lot of problems with. The last 3 years I have had ZERO problems.

A sales person came in with a new IBM they bought. I didn't get the model # but this thing was HEAVY.

Holy Boat Anchor Batman.

Archived