Swisher Breaks Nishioka's Leg

CrazyCarl40

What do you think Carl?

"It was a good play, breaking up the double play," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "Not even an issue."

Swisher sought Nishioka out in the X-ray room after the game to apologize.

"He definitely eased my mind," Swisher said. "He told me, 'Hey, it's not your fault. Don't feel bad.' I know I play hard, but you never want to go in there trying to hurt anybody."

Seems to be a consensus.

What do you think Carl?

I think the play was legal. I think Swisher extending his legs like that is very, very dangerous and borderline unnecessary. It was an unfortunate result, obviously, and could have been avoided. If the fielder is standing on the bag, sure take him out, but to go out of your way to try and take him out, no matter how legal, is only going to get guys hurt. I have to wonder if Swisher won't get one in the back the next time they play.

I think the play was legal. I think Swisher extending his legs like that is very, very dangerous and borderline unnecessary. It was an unfortunate result, obviously, and could have been avoided. If the fielder is standing on the bag, sure take him out, but to go out of your way to try and take him out, no matter how legal, is only going to get guys hurt. I have to wonder if Swisher won't get one in the back the next time they play.

Will you make up your mind. You're talking out both sides of your mouth in the same post. Swisher's job there is to try and take out the 2nd basemen, disrupt the play, so he can't get a good throw to first. That's his job. And it's etirely leagal if he's close enough to the bag where he can touch it. I feeel bad for him, but Nishioka didn't do a good enough job to get out of the way, that's why he actually got off a decent throw to 1st, and that's why he's got a broken leg.

So you start a thread implying that Swisher (one of the best guys in the sport) is a dirty player then when the quotes from Nishioka and Gardenhire make you look like a fool you back off. Great posting by you.

Will you make up your mind. You're talking out both sides of your mouth in the same post. Swisher's job there is to try and take out the 2nd basemen, disrupt the play, so he can't get a good throw to first. That's his job. And it's etirely leagal if he's close enough to the bag where he can touch it. I feeel bad for him, but Nishioka didn't do a good enough job to get out of the way, that's why he actually got off a decent throw to 1st, and that's why he's got a broken leg.

SO Nishioka who is very far away from second base has to get even further away? I agree it's a legal play. Swisher was doing his job, but I think he did it recklessly.

So you start a thread implying that Swisher (one of the best guys in the sport) is a dirty player then when the quotes from Nishioka and Gardenhire make you look like a fool you back off. Great posting by you.

I didn't imply Swisher was a dirty player at all. I have no idea where you're getting that from. I didn't back off of anything. I am sticking with my statement and haven't wavered at all. They said it was a legal play, I said it was a legal play. If anyone looks stupid here, it's you. Like always.

SO Nishioka who is very far away from second base has to get even further away?

I dunno, how about jump over the sliding player to avoid the contact, like every other second basemen does. Do you even watch baseball?

I agree it's a legal play. Swisher was doing his job, but I think he did it recklessly.

Here you go again, talking out both sides of your mouth.It's a legal play, but reckless.

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?

I dunno, how about jump over the sliding player to avoid the contact, like every other second basemen does. Do you even watch baseball?

Here you go again, talking out both sides of your mouth.It's a legal play, but reckless.

Being that far away from second, he shouldn't have to jump to avoid Swisher. That is what players are taught from the beginning of time when turning a double play. Catch the ball while coming across the bag to avoid the sliding runner. You don't expect the runner to stick their leg out to try to break it up when you're that far away from the bag. Haven't you ever played baseball to know that?

Swisher stuck his leg way out, recklessly, and it hit the second baseman, however "legal" it was. Something can be legal and reckless at the same time. I'm not sure why you don't comprehend that.

Being that far away from second, he shouldn't have to jump to avoid Swisher. That is what players are taught from the beginning of time when turning a double play. Catch the ball while coming across the bag to avoid the sliding runner. You don't expect the runner to stick their leg out to try to break it up when you're that far away from the bag. Haven't you ever played baseball to know that?

Swisher stuck his leg way out, recklessly, and it hit the second baseman, however "legal" it was. Something can be legal and reckless at the same time. I'm not sure why you don't comprehend that.

I like how CrazyCarl is the self appointed arbiter of whats "reckless" or not when the guy who was involved in the play and his manager had no problems. I wonder what this thread would look like if this was a Boston player instead of Swisher an evil Yankee.

That far away from second? He's standing next to the damn thing! Get your eyes checked. Everything about the slide is clean and legal, including stick his legs out, that perfectly legal and part of the game, as long as you can reach the bag, which Swisher did. IT'S CALLED A TAKEOUT SLIDE. A dirty take out would be cleating the guy. Swisher obviously didnt do that.

Reckless? Give me a break. It isn't spring training. The guy was close to the bag and didn't move much. He didn't throw and avoid the runner, he set up and threw like nobody was bearing down on him. The announcers were even mentioning how he was used to Japan and playing short. Swisher plays hard. Gardenhire said he didn't have a problem with it and neither did the player. I'm surprised he got hurt so badly. I thought at first that his cleats were caught, but it didn't seem that way on the replay. I'm so glad Carl is here to make an issue out of something that isn't an issue.

It sure does look like it, doesn't it?

Definitely. He cocked his leg and aimed right for his shins. It was totally uncalled for. He would have had the same effect without going high and directly for his leg.

Swisher is a good dude. I dont think he meant harm. I'm sure it was a spur of the moment thing, but it was totally unnecessary. Legal, just excessive IMO.

Definitely. He cocked his leg and aimed right for his shins. It was totally uncalled for. He would have had the same effect without going high and directly for his leg.

Swisher is a good dude. I dont think he meant harm. I'm sure it was a spur of the moment thing, but it was totally unnecessary. Legal, just excessive IMO.

OF COURSE HE AIMED FOR HIS LEGS! IT'S CALLED A TAKEOUT SLIDE.

It's perfectly legal and clean to take the legs out under a player to disrupt a double play. That's what he's paid to do in that situation. I feel bad for the guy, but he should of jumped to avoid the slide. He didn't, now he has a broken leg.

OF COURSE HE AIMED FOR HIS LEGS! IT'S CALLED A TAKEOUT SLIDE.

It's perfectly legal and clean to take the legs out under a player to disrupt a double play. That's what he's paid to do in that situation. I feel bad for the guy, but he should of jumped to avoid the slide. He didn't, now he has a broken leg.

Its clean because its legal. But he did like a jump slide, cocked his leg, with all his momentum and kicked his shin...almost scissored him. He gave him no chance to jump. It wasnt like he slide and stuck his legs up to take him out...he went in with intent to kick him. Thats excessive IMO. The same effect could have happened by sliding and just raising his legs.

Totally agree. I want to see baseball played the way that Swisher just played it. Regardless of the team it is happening for. Go into the bag hard...shocked at how he tried throwing the ball...really was just a lame duck sitting there.

I hope he is okay but it is definitely a clean play.

So when a runner is trying to score and a catcher is blocking the plate he shouldn't hit him with every bit of strength he has to avoid potentially hurting him? The runner and defender both have jobs to do. Swisher did his, the defender didn't. End of story. If Swish hit him like that and was unable to reach the bag I'd say suspend him for as long as the 2B is out. That didn't happen.

is this the 3rd or 4th time you have changed your mind on this...

Please show me where I changed my mind. It's a legal play but a reckless one. There was no need for Siwisher to jackknife is leg out leg that. I'm sure it always looks worse is slow motion. I wonder what the sentiment around here would be if it happened to Cano and he as going to be out a significant amount of time.

Totally agree. I want to see baseball played the way that Swisher just played it. Regardless of the team it is happening for. Go into the bag hard...shocked at how he tried throwing the ball...really was just a lame duck sitting there.

I hope he is okay but it is definitely a clean play.

Going into the bag hard is one thing. Going out of your way and sticking your leg out to break up a double play is reckless. If the fielder is 3 feet from the bag there is no need to stick your lesg out the try and break up the play. It's only going to get someone hurt. Swisher could have broken his own leg there too.

Archived