Sign in to follow this  
Scott Dierking

Turns out Phil Hughes is just bad, not hurt

He has been terrible this year, I am very surprised by this....

Sent down to Scranton.

Speaking on Scranton you going to that thing on the 24th?

Hughes right now has mediocre fastball syndrome. Eiland suffered from that which is why he was the best AAA pitcher but sucked in the bigs. Hopefully in time, Hughes can overcome it.

backpedal, backpedal until the original premise that you were trying to debate fades. Nice try.

Hey this is a bit off topic but you didn't answer my PM. You guys going to Richie's next weekend?

See the PM I just sent you about the problem with Abbie.

Num Num will have to wait.

Got it. That's crazy, hope it all works out.

Can you guys please take this exchange to PMs?

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean exactly. Please PM me to clarify.

So here is the deal...Hughes had a good year last year. Many Yankees fans feel like the kid can be great (myself included). He has a nice resume for a kid his age. Time will tell, the injury issue this year is a concern, no doubt.

But he has been part of one World Championship team already. And if he can come back this year and help out in the rotation, he has a chance at another one.

• Upvote 1

It just might be that he is made for middle relief, and that is it.

He had a 3 month run as a good starting pitcher, and other than that, has shown to be mediocre to bad.

Beside the point that he is as fragile as a fabrege egg.

I don't think his lowside at this point would even be considered middle relief. Since he was so good in the 8th inning, if it turns out that he can't handle being a starter he could close for someone.

But I am not giving up on this kid. He is 25 years old, his velocity is back up from the spring and I think he will help the Yankees out in the 2nd half. He has a shot to get his 2nd ring at 25 years of age. Not too shabby.

I am not sure what Ike Davis has to do with this but since his name was brought up I will say that Phil Hughes will have a much better career as a major league pitcher than Ike Davis will.

Never said "give up" on him.

Relief seems to be better suited to him. His numbers are far better in that role. Don't know if he has the temperament to be a closer.

BTW-we missed you this weekend.

Sorry for the short notice. We couldn't go, wish we could have given everyone more of a heads up. Little Larry had shin splints.

The 2nd half of this season will go a long way towards saying what the Yankees will do with Hughes down the road. I think it will be starter, I really love his upside.

• Upvote 1

Last year Hughes was very good at sitting patiently while the Yankees score a lot of runs. So there...

Nova down, Hughes up....

He'll be back. Nova got the short end of the stick mostly because he still has the options and they don't want to go with a 6-man rotation. Pitching surplus is rarely if ever a bad thing, especially when we have to two guys in their mid-30s with durability issues.

Definitely. Nova showed some promise and won a bunch of games.

When the current version of Phil Hughes represents the "surplus," you don't really have a surplus.

The Yankees just sent down a kid that would lead the Mets in wins.

That's a surplus.

And yet they sent him down to make room for a guy who has been garbage for about a year. Go figure.

Hughes had a terrible start to this season but he was hurt. He was good last year. Try to make your points based loosely in reality please.

He was good for two months last year and then was terrible From June on.

Dude I am not debating this again. I have been very realistic when describing Hughes. Tom says he has been garbage for a year. That is not true. Garbage gets you out of the league....

My apologies. Since the All Star break of last year, he's 9-8 with an ERA approaching 8.00, along with a mystery ailment that no one in the medical profession seems to be able to pinpoint. Maybe "garbage" is a bit much. How about "refuse"?

Adding this year into last year to slant the stats makes no sense. If he throws 84mph his career will be over. Last year he was a 24 year old that threw in the 90's. Now that he is a 25 year old that throws in the 90's I like his chances.

The yankees won by 10 runs. And mets fans bump this thread. Too funny.

The Yankees haven't had one of those since Whitey Ford.

Ron Guidry.

How do you halt an opponents 17 game losing streak? Pitch Phil Hughes :)

Troll.

Back on topic, is Hughes getting demoted to the pen?

Interesting.

Well, Nolan Ryan had to toil in the pen with HOF kind of stuff, so Phil is just going to have to take the same route.

My cable went out, can anyone tell me how Hughes did tonight? Thanks.

• Upvote 1

BS. Micro League Baseball is one of the greatest sports sims of all-time.

Dude.

Did you know that if you bunted a player that was a 4 or 5 in speed every time up they would hit around .500 in that game? It was a great loophole. Ah to be a kid again in the days before the internet!

GFY, Shortboy.

Why would a mod personally attack a poster? Cmon man you are better than that. If you aren't you need to be.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Thor and WWW...

If Hughes was rolling then sure. But you would think keeping him steady and building confidence would be the biggest tasks at hand. What happened when he pitched in relief, you have to think is going to impact him his next start...

He is not a rookie. Keeping him "steady and building confidence" serves what purpose to the team? They were trying to win a game, and Hughes had previously shown aptitude in relief roles.

If you want to build his confidence, let him pitch to AAA hitters. There is not that luxury for a big league team trying to win a Division, rather than a wildcard.

There, I said it.

Building his confidence would have given the Yankees the best chance to win multiple games. He just wasn't in the position to succeed. Therefore the Yankees weren't in the position to succeed.

Was at Jets camp today and then had some family over. Any update on this thread? I think Hughes started today and I know the Yankees won. Any update on how Hughes looked? Thanks.

The earthquake has knocked all communication out here. I did know that Hughes had a start today-How did that go?

It went ok.

• Upvote 1

scott dickhead at it again

When you are banned, instead of asking why, just think about this post. We said no fighting. No personal attacks. You chose not to listen.

Back on topic...

Did Hughes lose today? The earthquake interrupted my YES Network feed.

Actually, the topic is Phil Hughes, not the Yankees. Me, I like to make it about the players, the teams are inconsequential.

Teams are inconsequential unless the goal is a championship. If the goal is a championship then the team hits 3 grand slams when the starter gets hurt. See what I did there, didn't say he pitched bad, he was just temporarily hurt, lol.

This guy only has 2 pitches, and one of them is a 91 mph fastball.

Needs a 3rd pitch. If we cant let him develop that in the majors because of a win now mode, then send him to the minors next year. Enough already.

Plus Mel S messed up his arm angle.

bump

(you know one of you was going to do it)

Hughes is still bad

Yeah I am going to change my rating on him. I was always holding out hope because he was young and had been switched from the rotation to reliever. Thought he needed time to settle in. Now he just looks clearly like he isn't a starting pitcher.

The problem is the Yankees are stacked with set up guys so not sure what his other options could be.

Well this thread is vrey amusing to look back on Phil Hughes is turning to be a hyped up player not as good as advertised when he first came up.

He still has a World Series ring.

Staff writer at JetNation.com?

We could expand our coverage, good call.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company