Sign in to follow this  
Scott Dierking

Turns out Phil Hughes is just bad, not hurt

Gotta give credit where credit is due. You did say they'd dump Hughes on the DL eventually.

He also had in the Hall of Fame so it kind of balances itself out.

He was bad for a large portion of last season as well. A "dead arm" is a interesting thing to be dl'd for.

Usually pitchers can work right through that in a week or so. Hopefully he is fine shortly as with Nova being a 4 inning pitcher the Yankees really need Hughes. Burnett while not great has been a blessing. The Red Sox staff is in tatters right now so the Yanks can afford a little time to work these Nova and Hughes issues out.

Well, the good news is the Sox staff could not get any worse. :confused:

I would like to not believe it, but there seems to be some veracity by the sheer number of guys that just seem to be falling into a mediocre pit.

It really makes what a Seaver, Gibson, Guidry, et al did the more amazing.

Amphetamines.

It is odd that so many other pitchers are having similar decreasing velocity issues.

Or, maybe the proliferation of registering radar readings and documenting them is too much of a rage.

Maybe this has always gone on, and pitchers need to work themselves out of "mediocre fastball syndrome".

Hard to know.

And power numbers have steadily been going done. What could be the cause? :huh:

It was 5 days ago genius.

Good to see he followed it up with another strong performance.

It is strange as he looks good at times. I was watching Kershaw the other night and remembered the days when MadMike would tell us how Hughes was better.

That goes down in JN Hall of Infamy as one of the worst calls ever. Next to JonE's statement a few years back tha the Jets would have a better offense than Peyton and the Colts.

5 and 2 in his last 7 games. Only gave up more than 3 earned runs in one of those starts and he lost that game.

And he has been pitching against average at best offenses.

4.94 ERA, 1.34 WHIP

Hall of Fame numbers.

Haven't heard from you his past starts when he went 6-1

Shocked about that too :russian:

all i have to say now is this:

"do you prefer public or private punishment?"-- Canibus

Well back to reality 4 innings 6 runs 4 home runs

This JonE &BO.

Everyone isn't laughing. The Yankees are a model of excellence.

Phil Hughes is still 25 I believe. Will he ever be the # 1 guy on the Yankees staff? Probably not. But I don't see a problem in the Yankees developing home grown talent that helps them win.

Really?

Like all big money clubs, the Yankees are a model of throwing money at problems. Their excellence is being able to throw more money than anyone else. I am curious, if true, how Yankee Nation handles their new hard cap.

Who is this homegrown talent on the Mets?

Why do Yankee Nation gets wrapped around this?

No big market team can solely survive on home grown talent. It is nice when it happens, but not something you can expect to contend year in and year out.

Having pride in homegrown talent in baseball is one of the more ridiculous things fans beat their chests about. And if we're going to argue about it, the Yankees best player, and a top 10 player in baseball, is home grown.

I could not agree more.

I do not think A-Rod is homegrown. ;)

Hughes looks decent tonight. The long ball is still his nemesis but all in all through 7 not a bad outing. Yes it is against a last place team but you can only pitch against who they put in front of you.

Again, Phil padding his numbers against a last place team. ;)

• Upvote 1

his ERA+ is higher than any Red Sox starter

try to explain your way out of that unless you are willing to admit Boston's staff sucks ass :)

Maybe in between all your thought provoking posts, you have missed the RSN on this board admitting this team sucks.

it's possible

I know right...SHOCKING!!!!

Good for him. He's been not good for a year or two now. Not sure how this is relevant.

If you are going to use my words use all of them.

I said I would like to see his talent on the Sox, but not the potential for him being a locker room problem.

A large part of RSN is calling for Bobby V's head when the fact is they should be calling for two heads. Lester and Beckett.

The team is 14-24 when they start and 36-25 with everyone else. If they played to their career average W/L, the Sox would be in contention with the Yankees.

Whether they are struggling or as an act of defiance, they are the two biggest culprits to being in last place.

Bobby V did not need the potential for this going even more sideways. He is cleaning Terry and Theo's mess while RSN thinks it is all his fault.

This is Larry Lucchino's mess. He pushed for Lackey and Crawford. And now he is hamstringing Ben. Tito and Theo got out when the getting was good.

That said, Bobby V is a bad manager of players and in game situations. He's not the man for the job. He wasn't Ben's choice either.

What manager wants this job?

This team is a mess. No, up and coming manager will want to manage this team.

why are you two so negative?

the Sox are making their playoff push

bill-parcells-nonsense.jpg

I was actually surprised I could Google Image this Parcells quote.

Anywho.....the Sox record says they are average.

Could they? Yes. Will they? Doubtful.

great start for Hughes today (6 innings 1 run earned)

11 wins so far this year...not too shabby for a bad pitcher

It is not that he is bad, but being anointed a sure fire HofFer before a pitch is ridiculous.

And 11 wins is a meaningless stat. He would have about 5 if he pitched in KC.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company