Sign in to follow this  
Scott Dierking

Turns out Phil Hughes is just bad, not hurt

Dude has been losing velocity for awhile. 3 years ago when he was a big deal he was sitting at 94/95 with a nasty curve.

Gets injured in Texas during the perfect game, comes back, hasnt been the same guy. 91, 92, and a slower curve.

He's not this bad, but I do remember them "tweaking his mechanics" 2 years ago to "prevent future injury".

Joba lost some velocity when he was being bounced between starter and reliever too, so maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe the bullpen would be the better location for him.

What has been proven that he is injured? Where is the definitive statement on that?

"We are not saying that he has it," Girardi said. "We are not saying that he doesn't. A real low-level risk of thoracic outlet syndrome, which is basically a circulatory problem."

Sounds definitive to me... ;)

From what I've read this disease is the same thing that put Jeremy Bonderman out of baseball. I certainly don't wish that on Hughes.

His WHIP, K/9, H/9 and BB/K were all very good go look them up. Not that facts would dent your hateraide. Your yankee posts must outnumber your mets posts 80-90 to 1.

Unreal. You're one to talk on the number of posts about a team that you don't follow. Hughes was terrible last season after May and he was terrible this season.

Find me his last Mets post. I post about the Yankees more than boston anyway. You don't have to jump into every argument spin cycle.

You're probably 50/50. And I can post where I please sunshine.

What does wins have to do with stolen bases? you're making no sense. Hughes threw 176 innings of very good baseball no matter how many games he won. And Ellsbury still sucks.

Wins and SBs have nothnig to do with one another. Wins are a team statistic and SBs are an individual statistic. You are just a stat cherry picker. Hughes was good for two months and then was terrible. Just admit it.

1) The entire boston PR dept has on this site.

2) Forget wins completely. Hughes threw 176 innings of very good baseball in his first year as a starter. All his peripherals bear that out.

3) An utterly moronic statement. I bash Yankee players in here all the time, something most of your Boston PR pals would never do to Boston players.

When have you ever bashed a Yankee? And I would love to give a dissertation on how much I loathe John Lackey. Dude sucks and is a horrible teammate.

Wow, that's really going out there on a limb....How about a player like JD Drew that the team can't wait to get off the books. How about "Lil Dusty and his .237 suckass average. How about Youk and that beaver on his face. How about Lowrie for f-ing with you, thinking he actually was good. How about Paps and that retarded mug. How about Becks and his pompous douchiness. How about Dice-K for taking 2 days to pitch 6 innings. How about

Jenks for stealing John Henry's $$$$$.. How about Lying Larry Lucchino. How about that douchebag windbag Jerry Remy and his smokers rasp everyday? THere is so many to choose from.

Lackey is an easy choice

Wow. You need help. I could address all of those one by one, but that would give this post more than it deserves.

I'm too lazy to check, but I wonder what the consensus was around here regarding Matsuzaka's 2008 performance...

Dice-K had probably a very lucky year in 2008. He walked a TON of hitters but didn't give up very many hits and that kept his ERA low. Dice-K has no marbles. He has the stuff, but not the guts to execute it. He pitches like a sally.

Maybe Hughes should go back to the BP. He was effective there. Worked for Joba before the injury.

Hughes had a terrible start to this season but he was hurt. He was good last year. Try to make your points based loosely in reality please.

He was good for two months last year and then was terrible From June on.

Sorry to hear abut Lester

Looks like Lackey will have to step things up

Lester will be find in a week or two. So will Buchholz. Teams have injuries. The Sox have enough arms to patch them through.

Lol...sure they do....It's Beckett and pray for rain at this point

Wakefield and Miller have been more than serviceable. Aceves in a spot start will be fine. Hopefuy the young aces won't be out long.

Young aces? Another spin, huh Spin Cycle?

How would you describe mid twenties guys who are top of the rotation guys?

I would describe one of them out for the year....possibly for a career

His career is not in jeopardy, JonE. They are even saying he could be back this season. David Wright had the same injury and was out for a couple of months. Don't be so dramatic.

More importantly lets talk about how much better Dave Robertson is than Bard.

If you're basing it on tonight, sure. If you're basing it on career body of work, Bard has been. They've both pitched well this season and before tonight were very close to one another. Bard hadn't given up a run since May, I'm willing to give him a pass tonight.

Lackey had been better of late, but he sucked again tonight. I trust him about 0%. And he's a d-bag to his teammates. That contract can't be over soon enough.

Robertson has been better and he's been better this year even before tonight. Shocking that you wouldn't agree though haha.

Robertson was barely better before tonight. Both have pitched well this season, as I said before. Tonight was an aberration. Shocking you didn't say anything about Bard's scoreless streak though. ha ha ha!

I can at least give credit where it is due.

Before tonight Robertson's WAR was 1.8 and Bard's was 1.3. Thats substantial.

Not everyone puts as much stock as you do into those stats. Based on stats that have been around a long, long time, they were pretty much pitching neck and neck with Robertson being a little better. Your original post said let's talk about how much better Robertson is than Bard. This season? Marginally. Career? It's Bard and it's not close.

Robertson--1 Ring

Bard--0 Ring

Robbie, and it's not even close

Youkilis 2

A-Rod 1

Therefore Youkilis>A-Rod and it's not even close. Right JonE?

Wakefield 2

CC 1

Therefore Wakefield>CC and it's not even close. Right JonE?

Just using your moronic logic against you.

By the way, Bard's ERA in his career is a full run less and his WHIP is also significantly lower.

Both are 26 and both could be closers in the waiting soon and both are having great seasons. That's all that needs to be said.

The point is that Bard is all hyped up and Robertson had matched him up to this season and he's be been better this season. "Horrible" control is pushing it too.

Robertson has not matched up to him until this year. And for career it's still not even close. Robertson is having a good year. So is Bard. The numbers don't lie.

Robertson's career FIP is a quarter of a run better because of his 12.1 k9.

FIP? More made up stats? Is FIP on the back of baseball cards now? Just check the WHIP and ERA. You know the stats that have been around since forever.

WHIP was invented in 1979. And FIP is a lot better at predicting future ERA than ERA itself is.

Not everyone believes in Sabremetrics or any stats like that. Lots of stats can help you predict lots of things, but I'd be willing to bet the majority of the time they aren't correct. Just look at meteorologists.

The only offense that is halfway decent that he beat was Detroit and they are a a huge disappointment this season thus far. Beating teams like KC, Sea, and Washington is not impressive.

Shorted him

8 innings, 0 runs

Philthy

He pitches well against below average offenses. He gets hammered by good offenses. Guess which he'll face come playoff time?

Is there statistical proof to back that up? Serious question.

His wins have come against the Indians, Nationals, Mets, Detroit, KC twice, Seattle and Minnesota.

He's been pounded by the Angels (twice), Rangers, Baltimore and Atlanta.

Which list consists of top half offenses and playoff contenders?

Wait! he pitches better against bad offenses? How unusual.

If he was a good pitcher, he'd pitch well against everyone, home or away. Fact is he is mediocre at best.

his ERA+ is higher than any Red Sox starter

try to explain your way out of that unless you are willing to admit Boston's staff sucks ass :)

The Red Sox staff this year has been bad. No denying that. That said, Phil Hughes is a 4th or 5th starter for his career and if pitched for a bad offensive team he'd look even worse.

Hanley looks good on the Dodgers

Good for him. He's been not good for a year or two now. Not sure how this is relevant.

Bobby V did not need the potential for this going even more sideways. He is cleaning Terry and Theo's mess while RSN thinks it is all his fault.

This is Larry Lucchino's mess. He pushed for Lackey and Crawford. And now he is hamstringing Ben. Tito and Theo got out when the getting was good.

That said, Bobby V is a bad manager of players and in game situations. He's not the man for the job. He wasn't Ben's choice either.

Let me know when he starts taking himself out of games in the 3rd inning.

You mean when he's having back spasms in the rain? Never let facts get in the way of your good time.

I was not booing him.

Neither was I. I'm not sure what your point is here, if you have one at all.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company