Turns out Phil Hughes is just bad, not hurt

Scott Dierking

Niese? **** yeah. Gee? Meh.

Just send Hughes to the Cubs, Yankees. We'll Matt Garza him...well Matt Garza was pretty good in the AL East, but you might know what I mean. Get him to stop mixing his pitches like an 8 year old with one and a half pitches.

Yeah, just what Hughes needs-another band box. he already leads mlb in home runs allowed.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 25+ other starting pitchers in the AL east who are NOT leading mlb in giving up home runs.

Yes, because that could only happen to one pitcher unless there's a tie. The guy is giving up 1 more HR per 9 than his career average, and has a ridiculous HR/FB%.

OTOH, he's picked up his K's and dropped the walks. Sounds like a nice buy low candidate for a team outside of that division.

Yes, because that could only happen to one pitcher unless there's a tie. The guy is giving up 1 more HR per 9 than his career average, and has a ridiculous HR/FB%.

OTOH, he's picked up his K's and dropped the walks. Sounds like a nice buy low candidate for a team outside of that division.

Have at it.

Yeah that's what I've been saying. Someone should "have at it." I bet he'd be better than Dillon Gee. Gee plays in a giant pitchers park and still somehow is HR prone.

Opinions are like elbows, everyone has one. Doesn't make them right though.

All I can say is what Dillon Gee does at Citi Field, and that is most important to me as a Met fan. I personally do not care how he would perform someplace else.

Opinions are like elbows, everyone has one. Doesn't make them right though.

All I can say is what Dillon Gee does at Citi Field, and that is most important to me as a Met fan. I personally do not care how he would perform someplace else.

Of course you don't because then you'd be forced to realize he's really not that good.

Having pride in homegrown talent in baseball is one of the more ridiculous things fans beat their chests about. And if we're going to argue about it, the Yankees best player, and a top 10 player in baseball, is home grown.

I could not agree more.

I do not think A-Rod is homegrown. ;)

He pitches well against below average offenses. He gets hammered by good offenses. Guess which he'll face come playoff time?

Is there statistical proof to back that up? Serious question.

Is there statistical proof to back that up? Serious question.

His wins have come against the Indians, Nationals, Mets, Detroit, KC twice, Seattle and Minnesota.

He's been pounded by the Angels (twice), Rangers, Baltimore and Atlanta.

Which list consists of top half offenses and playoff contenders?

If he was a good pitcher, he'd pitch well against everyone, home or away. Fact is he is mediocre at best.

Maybe he pitches the same and better offensive teams just hit better? Seems to be the norm. He gives up too many homers. Otherwise he seems to be doing pretty well. Not MadMike well, but no complaints.

His wins have come against the Indians, Nationals, Mets, Detroit, KC twice, Seattle and Minnesota.

He's been pounded by the Angels (twice), Rangers, Baltimore and Atlanta.

Which list consists of top half offenses and playoff contenders?

How does his ERA break down against those two groups. I was told that wins are meaningless, especially when Hughes puts 18 or so of them up in a season.

If he was a good pitcher, he'd pitch well against everyone, home or away. Fact is he is mediocre at best.

The fascination that the Yankee haters have with him is funny. I banned MadMike guys, he can't hurt you anymore.

The fascination that the Yankee haters have with him is funny. I banned MadMike guys, he can't hurt you anymore.

The reason opposing fans stick to Hughes is obvious. Hughes represented for the Yankee fan base that opportunity to groom one of their own hand-picked pitchers into a star-Something the Yankees have not done for some time (developed a big time starter). The Yankees sold their fan base that this kid was going to be it and people and the media jumped on that (see the fervor with Banuelos and Betances last year-now, not so much).

Fans want to see home grown talent succeed. It is a natural fan selection. The excuses that some allow with Hughes is slightly amusing to watch-If he was Joe Blow acquired in a trade, the passion would be gone and the clamor would be to "get this bum off the team".

The reason opposing fans stick to Hughes is obvious. Hughes represented for the Yankee fan base that opportunity to groom one of their own hand-picked pitchers into a star-Something the Yankees have not done for some time (developed a big time starter). The Yankees sold their fan base that this kid was going to be it and people and the media jumped on that (see the fervor with Banuelos and Betances last year-now, not so much).

Fans want to see home grown talent succeed. It is a natural fan selection. The excuses that some allow with Hughes is slightly amusing to watch-If he was Joe Blow acquired in a trade, the passion would be gone and the clamor would be to "get this bum off the team".

Like Nova?

I'd rather keep them and live with the ups and downs than trade them for Ken Phelps. I'd rather have held guys like Lilly, Kennedy and I was pissed going back to Tewksbury, Rijos and the first Doug Drabek. I'm glad they held on to Chamberlain and Hughes no matter how mad it makes you and Carl and irrational it made guys like Mad Mike.

Like Nova?

I'd rather keep them and live with the ups and downs than trade them for Ken Phelps. I'd rather have held guys like Lilly, Kennedy and I was pissed going back to Tewksbury, Rijos and the first Doug Drabek. I'm glad they held on to Chamberlain and Hughes no matter how mad it makes you and Carl and irrational it made guys like Mad Mike.

I totally understand that.

It does not make me mad, more amused. Let's just call Hughes what he is-a mediocre talent. And there is nothing wrong with that-pitchers like that can thrive for 12-15 years in this league.

But realize, that any 2 week sustained glimpse of very good pitching, may not necessarily make him the next incarnation of Bob Gibson.

I totally understand that.

It does not make me mad, more amused. Let's just call Hughes what he is-a mediocre talent. And there is nothing wrong with that-pitchers like that can thrive for 12-15 years in this league.

But realize, that any 2 week sustained glimpse of very good pitching, may not necessarily make him the next incarnation of Bob Gibson.

He's not a mediocre talent. He's a pretty high up the talent scale - see MadMike. He's a mediocre pitcher.

Part of the problem is the constant berating Yankee fans get for "not having any homegrown talent". That's why we cling to these guys so tightly.

He's not a mediocre talent. He's a pretty high up the talent scale - see MadMike. He's a mediocre pitcher.

Part of the problem is the constant berating Yankee fans get for "not having any homegrown talent". That's why we cling to these guys so tightly.

At some point (and I would say that close to 150 appearances on the mlb level qualify), your talent becomes par with your performance. Hughes' has been no more than mediocre. One would surmise that his talent is similar.

At some point (and I would say that close to 150 appearances on the mlb level qualify), your talent becomes par with your performance. Hughes' has been no more than mediocre. One would surmise that his talent is similar.

Not worth arguing about. Just talking about ceiling vs. production. Baseball, in particular pitching, involves a hell of lot more than what I term as "talent". I'm happy enough with the guy.

WHere is John Maine these days?

Archived