Turns out Phil Hughes is just bad, not hurt

Scott Dierking

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason opposing fans stick to Hughes is obvious. Hughes represented for the Yankee fan base that opportunity to groom one of their own hand-picked pitchers into a star-Something the Yankees have not done for some time (developed a big time starter). The Yankees sold their fan base that this kid was going to be it and people and the media jumped on that (see the fervor with Banuelos and Betances last year-now, not so much).

Fans want to see home grown talent succeed. It is a natural fan selection. The excuses that some allow with Hughes is slightly amusing to watch-If he was Joe Blow acquired in a trade, the passion would be gone and the clamor would be to "get this bum off the team".

So Yankee fans are rooting for a Yankee. And Mets fans are rooting against Yankees. That is normal. My point is Mets fans are investing a lot in having this guy fail.

He is now 26 years old, and is a big kid that is pitching well. If he finishes this game strong he will have won his 9th game before the All Star break. Not too bad.

The Yankees have the best record in baseball so I guess picking on their 4th starter is all people have lol.

I totally understand that.

It does not make me mad, more amused. Let's just call Hughes what he is-a mediocre talent. And there is nothing wrong with that-pitchers like that can thrive for 12-15 years in this league.

But realize, that any 2 week sustained glimpse of very good pitching, may not necessarily make him the next incarnation of Bob Gibson.

Mad Mike can't hurt you anymore. I banned him because he was being a meanie to you, haha.

Oh wait...Texas has the best record in baseball. My bad.

But Hughes is doing well against a first place team. 6 innings 2 runs so far. I thought he only pitched well against bad teams?

Did the Philthy Man have another outstanding outing?

He looked good today. If he can stay away from giving up the long ball, he is going to continue to get better.

Mets fans would have you think that at 26, he can't improve. 9 wins before the all star break, not too bad though.

9 wins before the all star break, not too bad though.

Again, wins are a meaningless indicator of performance.

His peripherals are improved from last year... K/9 is up while BB/9 is down, which is always positive. His HR/FB ratio is almost 50% above his career average, so it's likely that it'll normalize somewhat, but in the end, he's looking more like an average pitcher instead of the abomination he was last year. As for his wins, swap his run support with Kuroda's and he's a sub-.500 pitcher this year.

Again, wins are a meaningless indicator of performance.

His peripherals are improved from last year... K/9 is up while BB/9 is down, which is always positive. His HR/FB ratio is almost 50% above his career average, so it's likely that it'll normalize somewhat, but in the end, he's looking more like an average pitcher instead of the abomination he was last year. As for his wins, swap his run support with Kuroda's and he's a sub-.500 pitcher this year.

I didn't mention his performance when I said he had 9 wins. Just stating that it wasn't too bad of a win total. :)

Thor please don't post in a locked thread. That is an abuse of mod powers. We frown upon such actions here.

Now excuse me while I go look at the array issue in our database. Seems to be some corruption around a post in this thread. We should have this worked out after Hughes starts a game or two in the 2nd half.

• 3 weeks later...

Hughes looks decent tonight. The long ball is still his nemesis but all in all through 7 not a bad outing. Yes it is against a last place team but you can only pitch against who they put in front of you.

Hughes looks decent tonight. The long ball is still his nemesis but all in all through 7 not a bad outing. Yes it is against a last place team but you can only pitch against who they put in front of you.

Again, Phil padding his numbers against a last place team. ;)

his ERA+ is higher than any Red Sox starter

try to explain your way out of that unless you are willing to admit Boston's staff sucks ass :)

The Red Sox staff this year has been bad. No denying that. That said, Phil Hughes is a 4th or 5th starter for his career and if pitched for a bad offensive team he'd look even worse.

his ERA+ is higher than any Red Sox starter

try to explain your way out of that unless you are willing to admit Boston's staff sucks ass :)

Maybe in between all your thought provoking posts, you have missed the RSN on this board admitting this team sucks.

Good for him. He's been not good for a year or two now. Not sure how this is relevant.

i recall him saying he was glad the Sox didn't do something stupid like trade for Hanley.

that was an A-B conversation so please C your way out :)

Good for him. He's been not good for a year or two now. Not sure how this is relevant.

If you are going to use my words use all of them.

I said I would like to see his talent on the Sox, but not the potential for him being a locker room problem.

A large part of RSN is calling for Bobby V's head when the fact is they should be calling for two heads. Lester and Beckett.

The team is 14-24 when they start and 36-25 with everyone else. If they played to their career average W/L, the Sox would be in contention with the Yankees.

Whether they are struggling or as an act of defiance, they are the two biggest culprits to being in last place.

Bobby V did not need the potential for this going even more sideways. He is cleaning Terry and Theo's mess while RSN thinks it is all his fault.

Bobby V did not need the potential for this going even more sideways. He is cleaning Terry and Theo's mess while RSN thinks it is all his fault.

This is Larry Lucchino's mess. He pushed for Lackey and Crawford. And now he is hamstringing Ben. Tito and Theo got out when the getting was good.

That said, Bobby V is a bad manager of players and in game situations. He's not the man for the job. He wasn't Ben's choice either.

This is Larry Lucchino's mess. He pushed for Lackey and Crawford. And now he is hamstringing Ben. Tito and Theo got out when the getting was good.

That said, Bobby V is a bad manager of players and in game situations. He's not the man for the job. He wasn't Ben's choice either.

What manager wants this job?

This team is a mess. No, up and coming manager will want to manage this team.

Archived