Turns out Phil Hughes is just bad, not hurt

Scott Dierking

I am not sure what Ike Davis has to do with this but since his name was brought up I will say that Phil Hughes will have a much better career as a major league pitcher than Ike Davis will.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.97 ERA lifetime as a starter and 1.368 WHIP hardly qualify as good. They don't even qualify as average.

Keep throwing the word "peripheral" around without substance and you look foolish. Hector and I already posted Hughes' numbers to League average last year in this thread.

Turn him back to a reliever where he actually performed, and lessened his chance of injury.

Nothing but wishing by you in this thread.

The only "substance" you're posting is his ERA over and over again which is a flawed stat. By every other measure he's been a good starter. I know that won't change your spewing of stupidity but it's the reality of what the kid as been in his career.

Never said "give up" on him.

Relief seems to be better suited to him. His numbers are far better in that role. Don't know if he has the temperament to be a closer.

BTW-we missed you this weekend.

Sorry for the short notice. We couldn't go, wish we could have given everyone more of a heads up. Little Larry had shin splints.

The 2nd half of this season will go a long way towards saying what the Yankees will do with Hughes down the road. I think it will be starter, I really love his upside.

The only "substance" you're posting is his ERA over and over again which is a flawed stat. By every other measure he's been a good starter. I know that won't change your spewing of stupidity but it's the reality of what the kid as been in his career.

Yeah, sure, ERA and WHIP are so flawed. Who wants to know how many runs and baserunners a pitcher gives up per nine innings.

Totally useless.

Yeah, sure, ERA and WHIP are so flawed. Who wants to know how many runs and baserunners a pitcher gives up per nine innings.

Totally useless.

You really would be better served to go back to yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn and leave the saber metric "analysis" to people who have the slightest idea what they are talking about...

You really would be better served to go back to yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn and leave the saber metric "analysis" to people who have the slightest idea what they are talking about...

Please Mike-Enlighten the masses. What pitcher stats are the most important in the sabermetric world? Geekdom everywhere awaits.

Please Mike-Enlighten the masses. What pitcher stats are the most important in the sabermetric world? Geekdom everywhere awaits.

Taking you seriously and having a real conversation with you is like definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. You're not hear for anything other than trolling.

OK, I'll take on the task (once again).

For AL pitchers with 150+ IP last year, here are the league averages:

K/9 - 6.71

BB/9 - 2.87

HR/9 - 0.950

FIP - 4.02

xFIP - 4.07

WAR - 2.99

Here are Hughes' numbers:

K/9 - 7.45

BB/9 - 2.96

HR/9 - 1.28

FIP - 4.25

xFIP - 4.13

WAR - 2.4

As I already stated, only his K/9 was better than the league average. His BABIP and strand rates were also favorable compared to the league and his career averages.

Unless you're counting run support (a whopping 9.6 per game, by far most in the AL), what "peripherals" suggest Hughes was anything more than an average pitcher over the entire 2010 season?

OK, I'll take on the task (once again).

For AL pitchers with 150+ IP last year, here are the league averages:

K/9 - 6.71

BB/9 - 2.87

HR/9 - 0.950

FIP - 4.02

xFIP - 4.07

WAR - 2.99

Here are Hughes' numbers:

K/9 - 7.45

BB/9 - 2.96

HR/9 - 1.28

FIP - 4.25

xFIP - 4.13

WAR - 2.4

As I already stated, only his K/9 was better than the league average. His BABIP and strand rates were also favorable compared to the league and his career averages.

Unless you're counting run support (a whopping 9.6 per game, by far most in the AL), what "peripherals" suggest Hughes was anything more than an average pitcher over the entire 2010 season?

madmike laughs at those "stats." Hughes is a sure fire Hall of Famer you ignoramus!

He'll be back. Nova got the short end of the stick mostly because he still has the options and they don't want to go with a 6-man rotation. Pitching surplus is rarely if ever a bad thing, especially when we have to two guys in their mid-30s with durability issues.

He'll probably be back in the majors as the member of another team.

He'll be back. Nova got the short end of the stick mostly because he still has the options and they don't want to go with a 6-man rotation. Pitching surplus is rarely if ever a bad thing, especially when we have to two guys in their mid-30s with durability issues.

Definitely. Nova showed some promise and won a bunch of games.

When the current version of Phil Hughes represents the "surplus," you don't really have a surplus.

The Yankees just sent down a kid that would lead the Mets in wins.

That's a surplus.

And yet they sent him down to make room for a guy who has been garbage for about a year. Go figure.

Hughes had a terrible start to this season but he was hurt. He was good last year. Try to make your points based loosely in reality please.

Hughes had a terrible start to this season but he was hurt. He was good last year. Try to make your points based loosely in reality please.

I'm not sure we want to read about T0m's reality either.

He was good for two months last year and then was terrible From June on.

Dude I am not debating this again. I have been very realistic when describing Hughes. Tom says he has been garbage for a year. That is not true. Garbage gets you out of the league....

My apologies. Since the All Star break of last year, he's 9-8 with an ERA approaching 8.00, along with a mystery ailment that no one in the medical profession seems to be able to pinpoint. Maybe "garbage" is a bit much. How about "refuse"?

My apologies. Since the All Star break of last year, he's 9-8 with an ERA approaching 8.00, along with a mystery ailment that no one in the medical profession seems to be able to pinpoint. Maybe "garbage" is a bit much. How about "refuse"?

Adding this year into last year to slant the stats makes no sense. If he throws 84mph his career will be over. Last year he was a 24 year old that threw in the 90's. Now that he is a 25 year old that throws in the 90's I like his chances.

Archived