Turns out Phil Hughes is just bad, not hurt

Scott Dierking

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't you fags be fighting over whether 2 runs in 5 innings (none over the last 4) is good or bad with his terrible "peripherals" tonight?

I watched and I thought he looked terrible, slightly better than the atrocious outings in the beginning of the season.

2 swings and misses all night- non of which on his fastball. Indians hit the ball hard....very lucky it was only 2 runs.

The Yankees just sent down a kid that would lead the Mets in wins.

Phil Hughes' 2010 campaign is all the proof you should need to convince the saber-naysayers that wins are the least meaningful pitching statistic when trying to gauge relative performance.

At 9.03 runs/game, Ivan Nova ranks 2nd in the AL this season, just behind Jake Arrietta.

I watched and I thought he looked terrible, slightly better than the atrocious outings in the beginning of the season.

2 swings and misses all night- non of which on his fastball. Indians hit the ball hard....very lucky it was only 2 runs.

I'm not sure how I feel. I really liked the way Nova had been pitching, so I'm not real happy with this move. OTOH, I think I pretty much saw what I expected from Hughes. It would be nice if he had been stronger, but I don't expect to see enough until he's had at least 3 starts. I think terrible is a little harsh, but he certainly didn't look particularly good.

Phil Hughes' 2010 campaign is all the proof you should need to convince the saber-naysayers that wins are the least meaningful pitching statistic when trying to gauge relative performance.

At 9.03 runs/game, Ivan Nova ranks 2nd in the AL this season, just behind Jake Arrietta.

Statistically you might be right, but Nova has been pitching very well.

My post wasn't a knock on Nova, but simply a retort to Max's Tx-esque troll job.

Just win baby.

I know, but I had already quoted you and responded. It was just easier to edit than erase the post. I like Nova. Shame he had the options so he had to be the odd man out. I'd plenty comfortable with him.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is Nova back in the minors? I thought pitching well for three months as a Yankee made you a sure-fire Hall of Famer?

No. Pitching well for three months as a Yankee makes you better than anybody the Mets have had since Gooden.

Hughes seems destined for a #4 type starter. Still young enough to change that but a lot of the top of the rotation hype on him has gone away IMO. Ian Kennedy, although pitching in the NL West looks like the best pitcher out of the class of Joba, Hughes and Kennedy. Jeff Karstens is off the hook this year as well at age 28.

I think Nova gets called up for Thursday's DH and could make things interesting rotation wise for the Yanks brass. His WHIP needs to improve as eventually it will get him in a lot more troube than it did earlier this season.

Not sure Yanks would be in on Mike Adams unless they could get him on the cheap. Soriano coming back and Robertson pitching well (although looking like KROD at times pitching in and out of trouble) should be enough to get to Mo.

Archived