Turns out Phil Hughes is just bad, not hurt

Scott Dierking

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think bringing in Hughes would have been a good idea if he were pitching well. I don't think he was ready for Red Sox/Yankees high pressure stuff. That being said, hindsight is 20/20 and I was intrigued by the move when I saw the guy come in the game.

I think bringing in Hughes would have been a good idea if he were pitching well. I don't think he was ready for Red Sox/Yankees high pressure stuff. That being said, hindsight is 20/20 and I was intrigued by the move when I saw the guy come in the game.

Especially since Rivera only threw something like 9 pitches.

I agree with Thor and WWW...

If Hughes was rolling then sure. But you would think keeping him steady and building confidence would be the biggest tasks at hand. What happened when he pitched in relief, you have to think is going to impact him his next start...

I agree with Thor and WWW...

If Hughes was rolling then sure. But you would think keeping him steady and building confidence would be the biggest tasks at hand. What happened when he pitched in relief, you have to think is going to impact him his next start...

He is not a rookie. Keeping him "steady and building confidence" serves what purpose to the team? They were trying to win a game, and Hughes had previously shown aptitude in relief roles.

If you want to build his confidence, let him pitch to AAA hitters. There is not that luxury for a big league team trying to win a Division, rather than a wildcard.

There, I said it.

He is not a rookie. Keeping him "steady and building confidence" serves what purpose to the team? They were trying to win a game, and Hughes had previously shown aptitude in relief roles.

If you want to build his confidence, let him pitch to AAA hitters. There is not that luxury for a big league team trying to win a Division, rather than a wildcard.

There, I said it.

Building his confidence would have given the Yankees the best chance to win multiple games. He just wasn't in the position to succeed. Therefore the Yankees weren't in the position to succeed.

Actually, the topic is Phil Hughes, not the Yankees. Me, I like to make it about the players, the teams are inconsequential.

Teams are inconsequential unless the goal is a championship. If the goal is a championship then the team hits 3 grand slams when the starter gets hurt. See what I did there, didn't say he pitched bad, he was just temporarily hurt, lol.

This guy only has 2 pitches, and one of them is a 91 mph fastball.

Needs a 3rd pitch. If we cant let him develop that in the majors because of a win now mode, then send him to the minors next year. Enough already.

Plus Mel S messed up his arm angle.

Plus Mel S messed up his arm angle.

Hah

But the Yankees actually did change his mechanics from when he was the top pitching prospect in the game...."less over the top" is what I remember...

He used to sit at 93-94 with a sharp 12-6 curve. Watch any of his minor league starts in 2006/07, and when he got called up as well. Different pitcher.

This is not the same guy.

Archived