*Record stops*, Ryan Clark RIPS Goodell

Matt39

Goodell, Ryan Clark have different views about schedule release

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2011, 9:21 AM EDT

Reuters

Though we didn’t anticipate it like we usually do, the release of the 2011 regular-season schedule brought a much-needed escape from a locked-out NFL. Like going to a good movie at the end of a crappy day, studying the slate of games gave us a two-hour respite from reality.

But reality is back, and Commissioner Roger Goodell has tried to reconcile the decision to pull the sheet off of the configuration of 256 games with the fact that, if the season were to start today, 16 of the game, at a minimum, wouldn’t be played.

“Clearly, we have some uncertainty with respect to the labor situation, but this is a great day for the fans,” Goodell told Albert Breer of NFL Network. “We’re doing all we can to prepare for the 2011 season. We’re announcing the schedule as usual, around this time of year, because we know that is an important point where fans start looking forward to the season, and I think there’s every reason for them to do that. We have every intention of playing a full schedule, and that’s why we’re releasing it as we normally do.”

So will the games be played?

“We’ve set the schedule up to play the full 16-game schedule, and that’s certainly our intention, that’s how we put the schedule together, and we certainly are working towards that,” Goodell told Breer.

Really, what else can Goodell say at this point? The fact remains that, until there’s a deal (or an order lifting the lockout), there’s no guarantee that any of the games will be played.

Still, some think the NFL shouldn’t have released the schedule. Count Steelers safety Ryan Clark among the some.

“Instead of saying, ‘You know what, guys, we’re gonna hold the schedule off until we can figure out this situation,” Clark said Tuesday on ESPN2′s First Take (via SportsGrid.com), “until we can make sure that the fans have football this year,’ no, ‘We’re gonna put the schedule out and find another way to put my face on TV.’”

We think that’s a little much. But that didn’t stop Clark from taking it even farther.

“[Former Commissioner] Paul Tagliabue was a guy [who's] gonna get people in the room [who] can make decisions, whereas throughout these negotiations . . . [Goodell] has to leave for hours to make conference calls and call people who can make decisions,” Clark said.

All due respect, Clark is wrong about that comparison. For deals of this magnitude, 24 of the 32 owners must approve of anything that is done. Goodell doesn’t have the ability to overcome that, and neither did Paul Tagliabue.

But we can see why the players would prefer Tagliabue, given that Tagliabue pushed for the bad deal that the owners are now desperately trying to overturn. The players love the 2006 CBA, and thus they should want the guy who’s doing the current deal to be acting more like the guy who did the last deal.

Either way, there was no reason to hold the schedule until some later date. Folks need to make plans for the months in which football may happen, whether it’s booking hotel rooms or scheduling weddings (or vasectomies) or planning for a golf weekend when the home team is on its bye. It makes no sense to determine the schedule and then not publicly share it with the media and the fans.

Though we realize Clark and the other players are getting increasingly frustrated about the lockout, it doesn’t help their cause to make accusations that simply miss the mark.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Clark is a moron.

Goodell did the right thing in putting out the schedule and I am 99% sure Tags would have done the same.

Yeah, he put it out in a 2 hour "release special." Who the **** cares? Just hand me the schedule.

The NFL has gone so far away from want the fans want...its no wonder its about to blow up in their faces.

I'm pretty sure Goodell isn't actively involved in programming NFL Network.

NFL Net is part of the marketing arm of the NFL. I get a kick out of it every time Goodell tells us what the "fans" want. So far, every decision he has ever made has cost fans money and/or the ability to actually watch an NFL game. He's exactly like a senator standing at a podium screaming about what "the people" want, then doing the exact opposite and lining his (and his cronies') pockets in the process.

NFL Net is part of the marketing arm of the NFL. I get a kick out of it every time Goodell tells us what the "fans" want. So far, every decision he has ever made has cost fans money and/or the ability to actually watch an NFL game. He's exactly like a senator standing at a podium screaming about what "the people" want, then doing the exact opposite and lining his (and his cronies') pockets in the process.

That's my whole kick....he says he's speaking for the "fans" What the hell fans is he speaking for?

It's nice to see vets like Mason and Clark calling this doof out.

"Fans", I guess,a re people who like paying PSLs to get treated like cattle, enjoy way too many alte night games, and want their family's holiday celebrations encumbered by NFL football again, like Halloween and Thanksgiving, and now Christmas eve.

Exactly what are those players doing to settle this thing?

They shouldnt be doing anything. They have zero to do with this lockout.

Its not their fault Jerry Richardson's more worried about having money in his grandkids, grandkids, grandkids college fund than an actual NFL season.

They shouldnt be doing anything. They have zero to do with this lockout.

Its not their fault Jerry Richardson's more worried about having money in his grandkids, grandkids, grandkids college fund than an actual NFL season.

And Goodell is nothing more than a handmaiden for the owners.

It is the owners you should be angry at, not Goodell. he is merely there to do their bidding.

Yeah, he put it out in a 2 hour "release special." Who the **** cares? Just hand me the schedule.

The NFL has gone so far away from want the fans want...its no wonder its about to blow up in their faces.

Some "fans" will tell you "why does the draft need to be televised"?. 20 hours of programming (whatever it is) on players that I don't know, don't care about or will never hear from again. Really, analyze every pick like it is a peace treaty? Just publish a list of why they drafted in the paper.

Watch what you want, don't watch what you don't. They have programming to fill, hosts to pay.

And Goodell is nothing more than a handmaiden for the owners.

It is the owners you should be angry at, not Goodell. he is merely there to do their bidding.

Obviously. But the comical lies that come out of his mouth that he's "doing this for the fans" is an absolute joke.

Some "fans" will tell you "why does the draft need to be televised"?. 20 hours of programming (whatever it is) on players that I don't know, don't care about or will never hear from again. Really, analyze every pick like it is a peace treaty? Just publish a list of why they drafted in the paper.

Watch what you want, don't watch what you don't. They have programming to fill, hosts to pay.

Most fans that watched the draft enjoyed the Saturday get together's with other NFL fans. Now, its been pushed to prime time on a Thursday so it can become a TV show. Really for the fans.

Goodell is a disaster looking for someplace to happen from the get-go. The only saving grace in all of this is that Upshaw's stupid a$ is dead, because he'd already have bent over and made a deal that would have killed football altogether inside of five years.

Most fans that watched the draft enjoyed the Saturday get together's with other NFL fans. Now, its been pushed to prime time on a Thursday so it can become a TV show. Really for the fans.

Of COURSE it is for $$$$$$$$, just like every other aspect of business in this world.

Look, Tide is now in a smaller size at the same price-They did it because the consumer wanted that.

Lucky us.

Of COURSE it is for $$$$$$$$, just like every other aspect of business in this world.

Look, Tide is now in a smaller size at the same price-They did it because the consumer wanted that.

Lucky us.

lol, then just say **** the fans...were trying to squeeze as much money out of you as possible, so we can pocket it ourselves so our 17th cousins can go to Princeton.

Not this whole "we listen to our fans and this is what they want" bullsh*t.

This is an excellent example.

Die-hard fans loved that Saturday. Either having friends over at home, or going to a big draft party in the city. A chance to watch the first three rounds, and really get into the meat of the thing over drinks. A helluva lot of fun! The league catches onto the fact that fans enjoy that sorta thing, and completely ruin it with this Thursday/three-day nonsense.

Die-hard fans loved that Saturday. Either having friends over at home, or going to a big draft party in the city. A chance to watch the first three rounds, and really get into the meat of the thing over drinks. A helluva lot of fun! The league catches onto the fact that fans enjoy that sorta thing, and completely ruin it with this Thursday/three-day nonsense.

That Saturday was the NFL at its purest moment. No bullsh*t, purely geared toward the NFL junkies.

+1

It was an absolute miscarriage of a concept to break up the draft and move the first round to a f*cking Thursday. God forbid your team has a pick higher than #20, you'll have to stay up until midnight to find out who your team picked. Not only does it screw up the timing of the actual pick, it ruins your chances of talking about the pick with your fellow fans, who are most likely asleep--only the di-hards stay up for the first round on a weekday. Thus, instead of baiting the casual fan into watching an off-season NFL event (as clearly intended), Goodell has isolated them further yet again. I'm sure some dickhole programming executive thinks that the casual fan would be all tuned up to see who the first, second, third pick is, but they're dead f*cking wrong--the teams that have those picks sucked the year before so the casual fan could give a sh*t who those teams end up with. It's just another way the league lets itself get directly dictated by ticket sales. A losing team can't sell tickets based on its on-field performance, so why not turn the first half of the first round into a huge commercial to show off their fancy new, marketable star player? Meanwhile, f*ck the rest of you people. You're already bought and paid for because your team had a modicum of success.

Even Big Oil was smart enough to stop justifying why they were gouging you at the pump. Goodell should take a lesson. The word "fans" should never come out of his mouth unless the words "Like I give a sh*t about the..." precedes it. His new phrasing should be, "We're doing X because that's what we've determined to be in the best interest of the league as we move forward." To drag "the fans" into it when justifying the 18 game schedule or PSL's fools absolutely no one and insults your target audience.

Huh?

Have you guys lost your minds?

The NFL is growing at record pace and you are seriously going to argue it is because they are doing what the fans DONT want?

lol

talk about tunnel vision... wow

Huh?

The NFL is growing at record pace and you are seriously going to argue it is because they are doing what the fans DONT want?

lol

The fans that actually care about the on the field product are dissatisfied to say the least. Not to mention, the current lockout.

Im sure the fans in Spain are thrilled however though. Look how many Rodgers jerseys they've sold in China for god sakes!

Huh?

lol

15 years ago, MLB was having this same conversation.

Huh?

lol

Goodell has little to do with why the NFL is growing at a record pace. The biggest reasons are that MLB and the NBA both suck, and TV technology has gotten awesome - allowing viewers at home the opportunity to really see all the nuances of the game.

Goodell has little to do with why the NFL is growing at a record pace. The biggest reasons are that MLB and the NBA both suck, and TV technology has gotten awesome - allowing viewers at home the opportunity to really see all the nuances of the game.

What annoys me is that the secret to the greatness of the NFL is the parity, which owners like Jerry Jones are going to end up stripping away. Remove parity, and you'll be left with a 32 team league with only 5 relevant franchises, much like baseball and basketball. Goodell is going to usher that in as fast as he can. F*cking capitalist.

Huh?

lol

The fans love the product, but the "owners" of that product are pushing the fans to the limit by trying to squeeze every last nickel out of the very lifeblood that has made them what they are today. Goodell is the puppet trying to shake the fans upside down and see what change falls out of their pockets. This is a classic example of killing the golden goose, eventually all of this will backfire.

sounds like a certain community organizer turned president.

This is ALL about MONEY! Sure, Sargent Goodell is a lacky for the owners.....but that is one egotsitical, greedy lacky. 18 games bacause the "fans" want it. Bullpoop. It's about revenue. Thursday night first round of the draft so it can be more "fan" friendly. Bullpoop. It's about prime time commercial money. When it's not about the money, Sargent Goodell is about as consistent as a pre-teen 12 year old. Player x caught drunk driving, fine and suspension. Player y caught drunk driving. No punishment. Player z spears player - fine and suspension. Player a spears, no fine or suspension. Player d has td celebration. Hefty fine. Player s has td clebration. No fine.

I can't stand this guy. Goodell must go.

Ryan Clark is a moron.

Goodell did the right thing in putting out the schedule and I am 99% sure Tags would have done the same.

Couldn't agree more. I guess Clark didn't know that every NFL fan knew who their team was playing the minute the regular season ended. What is the big deal in letting the fans know when the games will be played?

Ryan Clark should stop leading with his helmet as it's obviously caused him brain damage.

What annoys me is that the secret to the greatness of the NFL is the parity, which owners like Jerry Jones are going to end up stripping away. Remove parity, and you'll be left with a 32 team league with only 5 relevant franchises, much like baseball and basketball. Goodell is going to usher that in as fast as he can. F*cking capitalist.

Goodell reminds me of one of the Yankees exec's. We're doing it all for the fans.

Right. No wonder the Stadium is empty.

I think people are confusing the on the field product with everything else.

Goodell reminds me of one of the Yankees exec's. We're doing it all for the fans.

Right. No wonder the Stadium is empty.

I think people are confusing the on the field product with everything else.

A great cheeseburger sold at $5 quickly becomes and awful cheeseburger when it's sold at $10. That's what baseball is finding out, and what the NFL will inevitably find out.

A great cheeseburger sold at $5 quickly becomes and awful cheeseburger when it's sold at $10. That's what baseball is finding out, and what the NFL will inevitably find out.

Keep telling yourself that.

Cannot compare the two... I only need to get excited about spending my money on football 8 times a year...

Football is already a $3 burger sold at $500 and people are chowing down.

Archived