If this is true, we're DOOMED!

Bugg

Don't know who, but may be a coach who knows how the clock works? I've seen Pop Warner and highs school games where coaches have a better grasp of that simple thing in their first game than Edwards does after 5 years.

May be a coach who has his team ready to play in the 1st quarter, rather than get outscored 61-7.

May be a coach who has a hurry up offense and calls 2 plays on clock stoppages.

Very simply, notwithstanding this idiocy from Mark Canizzaro, if the Jets do not clean house, we all have to reconsider what this team is doing long-term and if Woody Johnson has a freaking clue.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/31334.htm

JETS' DIVE NOT HERM'S FAULT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWN TIMES: With rumors that Herman Edwards may leave for the Chiefs, Jets fans are quick to blame the head coach for this 2-7 season.

November 16, 2005 -- WITH this Jets season careening toward the worst records since the Rich Kotite Era of 3-13 and 1-15 in 1995 and '96, respectively, rumor mills are spinning and angry fans are lining up with demands for a scalp, a scapegoat to blame for this mess.

As head coach, Herman Edwards is the lightning rod in the storm.

With Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil under a one-year contract and expected to retire after this season, and because Edwards has such strong ties to the Kansas City organization (he began his post-playing career there as a scout then became an assistant coach), rumors of Edwards going to the Chiefs have surfaced in recent weeks.

So, too, have calls from frustrated Jets fans for Edwards' job.

The first fact is this: Edwards has two years remaining on his contract after this season, so even if he wanted to leave for, say, Kansas City, he couldn't walk away on his own unless the Jets didn't want him anymore.

The second fact is this: Jets owner Woody Johnson doesn't want to see Edwards go anywhere. (THEN HE NEEDS TO HEAR FROM THE FANS OR SELL THE TEAM)

The third fact is this: Edwards wants to remain with the Jets and finish the job he started. In several conversations with The Post in recent weeks, Edwards stated his desire to remain in New York as long as Johnson wants him here.

A highly placed source familiar with Johnson's thinking told The Post yesterday that Johnson "wants" Edwards to be here.

"[Johnson] likes [Edwards] as the face of the franchise," the source told The Post. (THIS HAS TO BE A JOKE!)

Despite the trying times ahead (figuring out what to do with the complicated quarterback situation; rebooting an aging offense; and dealing with a less-than-ideal salary-cap situation), Edwards wants to build the Jets back into a playoff team.

In fact, if Johnson does, indeed, like Edwards as the "face" of his franchise, the owner would be smart to extend Edwards' contract after this season, a show of faith to allow Edwards to rebuild the offense the way he and his staff rebuilt the defense. Lame-duck coaches never work out.

For those disgruntled Jets fans who believe if their team isn't going to the Super Bowl the season is a bust, they must understand this: Edwards is the glue that holds this organization together. (BREAK OUT THE BUBBLEGUM AND DUCT TAPE IF THAT'S THE CASE)

Take away Edwards and consider what you have: (OR AS MARK DOES, LET'S BLAME EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE FOLLWOING PARAGRAPH)

* Johnson is a neophyte owner still learning the NFL.

* His president, Jay Cross, was brought here to bring the team to a New York stadium and is not a football man.

* Terry Bradway, the GM, has had mixed results. He hasn't drafted a Pro Bowl player in five years.

This is not to say another good coach couldn't come to New York, coach the Jets and have success. Bill Parcells did it, though even he brought the team to the playoffs only once in three seasons.

But believe it when we tell you this: Edwards and his staff, none of whom is without faults, are what is keeping this franchise from being the laughingstock it was before Parcells took over. (NESFLASH-IT'S A LAUGHINGSTOCK RIGHT NOW!)

Angered Jets fans should take the time-management and play-calling issues they have with Edwards, table them, and ask themselves this question: Whom do you want to bring in here? (ANYBODY WHO'S COMPETENT!)

AND NOW -THE FALSE CHOICE!

You think Pete Carroll would come back? Think again.

Charlie Weis? Right.

Whom do you want?

Mike Holmgren, who's finally winning in Seattle after doing little to nothing there for years?

Mike Martz, who might be run out of St. Louis despite having led the Rams to the Super Bowl just a few years ago?

Jim Fassel, the supposed quarterback guru who's having colossal struggles trying to get his Baltimore quarterbacks to lead the Ravens to touchdowns? Aren't the Jets already having enough problems on offense?

Who's out there and available who's going to do a better job than Edwards already has, the only head coach in Jets' history to lead them to three playoff appearances in four years?

Jets fans who would welcome Edwards' departure to Kansas City or elsewhere and who believe he should be replaced should be careful what they wish for

I love this team, and I cannot stand this coach because he's a disaster. My judgment is clear as day-Herm's a dope. To say as Canizzaro does that there's nobody better around is a joke, irrational fear of the unknown. Hatred is an awfully strong word, JEJ. I don't hate Herman Edwards. I merely recognize that he's a terrible head coach. And we are right now already a laughingstock. To walk around Charlotte Sunday dressed in green to hear "JETS SUCK" all day and having to agree was only the latest confirmation.

Maybe you should read the article, and fully comprehend it

Your hate for the coach truly clouds your judgement

I agree, and the ad-lib commentaries are a joke

as far as hearing JETS SUCK, thats not gonna ever change no matter what our record is...people either love or hate the Jets, no middle ground...where are you in that equation?

"[Johnson] likes [Edwards] as the face of the franchise," the source told The Post. (THIS HAS TO BE A JOKE!)

I resent this on so many levels, but primarily for the simple fact that Herman Edwards is at best, a carpet bagger, and at worse, a self-promiting, self-aggrandizing opertunist, who was fast tracked into the position by dubious machinations. It could have been anywhere, but the stars aligned to place him in Hempstead. Simply put, he's an accident. And his loyalty to this franchise, of which the owner declares him "the face of", is conditional.

The face of the franchise? Herm? No, the face of the franchise is a Jets fan with a bag over his head.

Despite the trying times ahead (figuring out what to do with the complicated quarterback situation; rebooting an aging offense; and dealing with a less-than-ideal salary-cap situation), Edwards wants to build the Jets back into a playoff team.

Edwards should have thought about that 5 years ago when he first took over this team. You don't tread water with somebody elses team and then rebuild your team. That's not how it works. You rebuild and stay competitive as you gradually get better. If Herm and Bradway actually knew what the were doing, this team should be peaking right now. Instead it is collapsing like whipped horse. Spotting these guys another five years would be a travesty. And on Mark's one point, that lame duck coaches don't work, I agree:

Fire him ASAP.

The longer you delay the inevitable, the more damage you will have to recover from, and the longer it will take to recover from it.

Edwards and Bradway both have to go. NOW!

Cannizzaro is just trying to protect his meal ticket. It's transparently obvious. He's a scumbag.

Care to elaborate? What didn't Bugg "comprehend"?

"Hatred". Let's talk about that.

All polls done on this, and other boards, have fans split down the middle on Herm, with swings of 60/40 in either direction depending on the circumstances.

It's even, with a slight margin of error.

But yet, I've taken a mental note of a certain demographic of Jets fans, and it's an aberation of the aforementioned data-

Among Black Jets fans that post on MB's (GG, JI, JA, et al), only one is a Herm critic (to the degree that it would be described by a Hermaphrodite as "hatred").

I'm not going to list all the usernames, but out of 10+ black posters I've randomly selected off the top of my head, only 1 wants Herm removed.

It's less than 10%. Probably closer to 5%.

So how do you explain that? How is it, that if you polled black fans of the Jets exclusively, you would get a 95% to 5% difference between pro and con, whereas if you polled all fans, both black and white, it would be a 55%-45% split (almost a split down the middle)?

I would say the bias is clearly on your side of the fence.

Which digusts me that you would attribute "hatred" as the source of all criticism of Herm. As if we must be unreasonable nitwits, what else could it be?

How could anybody in there right mind not love and apreciate Herman Edwards? :roll:

I love this team, and I cannot stand this coach because he's a disaster. My judgment is clear as day-Herm's a dope. To say as Canizzaro does that there's nobody better around is a joke, irrational fear of the unknown. Hatred is an awfully strong word, JEJ. I don't hate Herman Edwards. I merely recognize that he's a terrible head coach. And we are right now already a laughingstock. To walk around Charlotte Sunday dressed in green to hear "JETS SUCK" all day and having to agree was only the latest confirmation.

There's a reason why Herman Edwards is so divisive-

Because he's not a leader.

What he is, is a con-artist. He's got all these suckers fooled.

This team sucks, the owner sucks, the GM and HC don't know what their doing, and shameless fans who attack other fans for criticising management deserve no better.

If they don't like reading criticism, or can't rebut it, spare me the "you hate Herm" drivel.

It's ignorant and it's petty. And some of them, that's all they have to offer. They offer nothing by way of substance or insight. They just read the threads started by people who are critical of Jets management and bootlickers like Cannizaro, and then attack those fans. They live to throw darts at other fans. And they do it for a guy who doesn't give a rat$ #ss about them.

Pathetic.

ya come on, herm is so great KC wants him :lol::lol::lol::lol:

"I'll pretend I want you so it will look like you are in demand. Then when you eventually get fired I will hire you as assitant quality control coach"

- Carl Peterson overheard on a cell phone call 11/1/2005

What's a joke is Herm and his agent getting stories like this out in the friendly press they have cultivated by access. This is all a campaign to get Hermie an extension, or at worst, if he's fired or quits, give him an easy out(injuries)and soft landing eslewhere. If his contract runs through 2007, he's hardly a lame duck in 2006. There's no compelling reason to extend him now other than he and his agent would like it.

I'm thisclose to becoming an ex-Jets fan if they pull this idiocy of bringing Herm back.

The face of the franchise indeed-Herm's befuddled and confused look on the sidelines each game certainly has become this team's signature.

Why is promoting Heimderdinger not an option? hell even Donnie.... I know that is supposed hard to do because you have to flick a switch as a coach but maybe a fiery guy is good for the Jets now

The way this year has gone no way would I consider either coordinator to be Head Coach. Not putting the blame on them. Just saying they both have a lot to prove.

if the jets fire bradway/herm the new regime gets the luxury of rebuilding the jets. that means absorbing the cap hits from chad, curtis, barret, and jmac and starting over.

as long as herm is HC of the jets he will keep trying to back door his way into the playoffs and barely keep saving his job. a new HC with no pressure to "win now" will have the luxury of gutting the team to rebuild it for the future.

I agree insofar that walking around CHarlotte the other day was painful. THe fans actually felt pity for us, I was embarassed to be a Jets fan that day

But let me say this....Herman might not be a great coach in your mind, but for whatever reason he is well respected around the league by other teams, players, and fans.

Guess what, they might be onto something. Cannizarro stated it correctly when he said "be careful for what you wish for"

I am not defending Herm, or Bradway...but the bottom line ios if ANY TEAM in the NFL has lost their top 2 QB's in the same game, they'd be in the dame shape as the Jets

Nevermind our multiple season ending injuries, I think you have to chalk it up as just one of those years, and hope we benefit in this years draft because of it

if the jets fire bradway/herm the new regime gets the luxury of rebuilding the jets. that means absorbing the cap hits from chad, curtis, barret, and jmac and starting over.

as long as herm is HC of the jets he will keep trying to back door his way into the playoffs and barely keep saving his job. a new HC with no pressure to "win now" will have the luxury of gutting the team to rebuild it for the future.

and then we get 3 years of sucking and have to listen to the same crap about how the coaching staff should all be fired and Woody has no clue, and so on & so on....

Maybe i'm missing something here when it comes to Herm but I keep hearing that it would take him about 10 minutes to find another job as an NFL head coach should he be fired or decide to leave the Jets.

I guess winning might have something to do with but who knows. :roll:

Care to elaborate? What didn't Bugg "comprehend"?

"Hatred". Let's talk about that.

All polls done on this, and other boards, have fans split down the middle on Herm, with swings of 60/40 in either direction depending on the circumstances.

It's even, with a slight margin of error.

But yet, I've taken a mental note of a certain demographic of Jets fans, and it's an aberation of the aforementioned data-

Among Black Jets fans that post on MB's (GG, JI, JA, et al), only one is a Herm critic (to the degree that it would be described by a Hermaphrodite as "hatred").

I'm not going to list all the usernames, but out of 10+ black posters I've randomly selected off the top of my head, only 1 wants Herm removed.

It's less than 10%. Probably closer to 5%.

So how do you explain that? How is it, that if you polled black fans of the Jets exclusively, you would get a 95% to 5% difference between pro and con, whereas if you polled all fans, both black and white, it would be a 55%-45% split (almost a split down the middle)?

I would say the bias is clearly on your side of the fence.

Which digusts me that you would attribute "hatred" as the source of all criticism of Herm. As if we must be unreasonable nitwits, what else could it be?

How could anybody in there right mind not love and apreciate Herman Edwards? :roll:

Jetmo-You are definitely a "me vs everyone else" type of guy, arent you? You love that feeling of being backed into a corner and having to fight your way out.

Hey, it works for ya, so I am not gonna knock you. :wink:

I agree insofar that walking around CHarlotte the other day was painful. THe fans actually felt pity for us, I was embarassed to be a Jets fan that day

But let me say this....Herman might not be a great coach in your mind, but for whatever reason he is well respected around the league by other teams, players, and fans.

Guess what, they might be onto something. Cannizarro stated it correctly when he said "be careful for what you wish for"

I am not defending Herm, or Bradway...but the bottom line ios if ANY TEAM in the NFL has lost their top 2 QB's in the same game, they'd be in the dame shape as the Jets

Nevermind our multiple season ending injuries, I think you have to chalk it up as just one of those years, and hope we benefit in this years draft because of it

i think 5 seasons is a large enough sample size. after 5 seasons herm will have a losing record. the jets franchise has had such a miserable history that a .500 winning % is considered a success and Herm has not even accomplished that. at the end of the day you are what your record says you are. and when it comes to herm:

figures don't lie, but liars always figure.

Regarding the "should we change or should we not change" debate-Change is needed at this time.

In the NFL, coaching and administration tenures are perilous. In this day of high-price, ego-driven athletes, whom many are out for themselves before the team, it is near impossible to coach or manage the same team for an extended time.

Acts wear thin and management styles become stale. Unfortunately, sometime you make change because you can.

Listen, I am the biggest proponent of allowing at least competent status quo to rule the roost. But that is out the window, effective this year, with the Jets.

The Bill Cowhers, the Jeff Fisher's of the world, they are an anomaly in the NFL world. They have somehow been able to re-invent themselves, within the same organization and keep their clubs interested and intense. That is truly a rare quality.

Sad but true, Edwards and Bradway have not been able to re-invent themselves to a degree that is going to promote growth. This organism is effectively stunted.

As far as Cannizarro, shame on him in putting himself in the position where he feels he has to always defend Herm. No one can buy it. When you write a book about a subject that you cover, and when that book has a foreward that endorses the product, and is written by someone that you should need to treat in an objective manner, well, you cast yourself in a bad light. How can we be sure how he filters himself.

As far as Woody still being a neophyte-That is lame. He has had 5 years. C'mon folks, this is not NASA that he is running here,. Give me a break. If Woody can not see that a breath of fresh air is needed, we have more problems than wee think.

Maybe i'm missing something here when it comes to Herm but I keep hearing that it would take him about 10 minutes to find another job as an NFL head coach should he be fired or decide to leave the Jets.

I guess winning might have something to do with but who knows. :roll:

For 5 seasons, with the exception of 5 or 6 games, this team has been UNWATCHABLE. When they lose, it's ALWAYS because the team was flat out unprepared, or Herm's "keep the score close for a chance to win at the end" BS cost the game. Even games they have won, they won because the other team was simply more incompetent than the Jets. It's always ugly.

The Raiders/Rick Mirer game comes to mind.

The man is 2 games over .500 career.

Give me a break.

One day, we're all going to look back at 2001-2005 and say that was the closest we were ever gonna get in our lifetime to winning that elusive championship, and it was pissed away because Woody hired the wrong GM and wrong HC.

For 5 seasons, with the exception of 5 or 6 games, this team has been UNWATCHABLE. When they lose, it's ALWAYS because the team was flat out unprepared, or Herm's "keep the score close for a chance to win at the end" BS cost the game. Even games they have won, they won because the other team was simply more incompetent than the Jets. It's always ugly.

Give me a break.

One day, we're all going to look back at 2001-2005 and say that was the closest we were ever gonna get in our lifetime to winning that elusive championship, and it was pissed away because Woody hired the wrong GM and wrong HC.

Jetmo-Again, you overgeneralize.

To state that the only reason that the Jets win is because other teams are simply incompetent, or that the Jets are always unprepared is a gross misjustice of hyperbole.

I can understand you being mad, but let's not gloss over the truth because of it.

Haha, that is a great quote.

Post-of-the-week material, IMO.

=D>=D>=D>

Nah, that bag stuff is a real cop out. I understand the implications, and the message trying to be sent, but it is a real cop out.

I actually wear more Jets gear in bad years, than when things are going bad.

Listen, like I am with my wife, I am married to this team. It has been a 32 year marriage, which I should have every right for divorce proceedings due to lack of support and imposed emotional trauma.

But, damned if I still don't have some of those old school boy feelings for her (the team, not my wife).

Give me a break.

I'm just going by what I have read recently in the papers and heard on the radio.

Herm is well respected throughout the NFL alot of people feel he would be able to land another HC job quickly.

There have been alot of things this year with Herm that have rubbed me the wrong way but the bottom line is (and this is what the Jets and the media will tell you) they won't fire a coach that has had his entire offense destroyed this year by injuries.

The only way Herm isn't the Jets coach next year is if he decides to leave. I don't think Woody is going to fire him based on this disaster of a season. If this team was healthy and playing this badly then things would be totally different but it is what it is. A disaster of an offense and alot of retooling or rebuilding of this offense in the next couple of years.

I'm just going by what I have read recently in the papers and heard on the radio.

Herm is well respected throughout the NFL alot of people feel he would be able to land another HC job quickly.

There have been alot of things this year with Herm that have rubbed me the wrong way but the bottom line is (and this is what the Jets and the media will tell you) they won't fire a coach that has had his entire offense destroyed this year by injuries.

The only way Herm isn't the Jets coach next year is if he decides to leave. I don't think Woody is going to fire him based on this disaster of a season. If this team was healthy and playing this badly then things would be totally different but it is what it is. A disaster of an offense and alot of retooling or rebuilding of this offense in the next couple of years.

now youve done it, you have opened the HERM GETS A FREE RIDE BECAUSE OF IJURIES door now, who will be the first anti-Herm to run through said door?

Remember what it used to be like around these parts. Remember Joe Walton's latter years, Bruce Coslet, Carroll's abbreviated stay, and Kotite. How many times did the Jets get to the playoffs during that period, let alone have Super Bowl aspirations?

Hey Fatso Cannizarro, how about giving the new coach a chance before burying him before he's hired. Sounds like the fat writer will miss Hermie's BBQs.

Had occasion while driving around to hear Hermie's despondent press briefing this morning. The man is like a Chatty Cathy Doll; he doesn't have an unexpressed thought, no self-editing. When asked about the KC rumors, he goes on for paragraphs and pages; I couldn't begin to synopsize it. A real coach simply says he has a contract through 2007, and next question. Not our Hermie. And frankly, the rest of it was MORE of the high volume/low quality BS that's been Edwards' stock and trade here. He sounded like a dead man talking about himself in the past tense, talking about the "next man" to take this job, how he made things better, as if he's moving on and he knows it.

The best thing to do if you want Herm to leave is make it apparent to ownership that there are a large number of fans who feel this way. At games, there needs to be signs against Herm, there needs to be chants of Herm must go. At home, we need to write letters to ownership and send e-mails. But, if it is only a vocal few, Herm will be back.

Archived