Who's cooler than the Beastie Boys?

JustInFudge

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have you know that while I was voting you in mafia, I was burning a disc of the Beasties' discography to play in my car. Got thru a few albums-worth cleaning the house and cooking/eating dinner. Really good stuff. I'd really only been familiar with the hits before.

I'll have you know that while I was voting you in mafia, I was burning a disc of the Beasties' discography to play in my car. Got thru a few albums-worth cleaning the house and cooking/eating dinner. Really good stuff. I'd really only been familiar with the hits before.

Quite a diverse band eh? Nobody's ever played as many genres as well as them. They are my all time favorites. They are basically a band that is tailor made for my ear and what I like in music.

And I'll have you know, our Beatles/Kinks discussion had me revisit the Beatles and I take back the bore comments. Definitely far from it. This revisit has given me a new found appreciation for their stuff.

Quite a diverse band eh? Nobody's ever played as many genres as well as them. They are my all time favorites. They are basically a band that is tailor made for my ear and what I like in music.

And I'll have you know, our Beatles/Kinks discussion had me revisit the Beatles and I take back the bore comments. Definitely far from it. This revisit has given me a new found appreciation for their stuff.

what is bs alex?

Every track they have sounds like they recorded it from a pay phone. The only people who think the Beasties are a great act are displaced suburban kids who really wanted to like rap music, but were afraid of the "wigger" stigma.

You are a miserable person.

I cant believe you were actually my 3rd favorite poster. I'm ashamed of myself for it actually.

Every track they have sounds like they recorded it from a pay phone. The only people who think the Beasties are a great act are displaced suburban kids who really wanted to like rap music, but were afraid of the "wigger" stigma.

"Hey, guys-let's sample Zeppelin!"Beastie Boys were safe rap for white suburbanites, nothing more.Some of their stuff is actually fun, but it was all marketing, not some brilliant music. Not saying that that's a bad thing, and they are at least actually musicians.If you enjoy it good for you. It's better and more profitable than Styx or REO Speedwagon, but that's not saying much.The overindulgent bullsh*t of the band members themselves and their fans trying to make it into more than what it is is really crap.Shut up, slum around the Lower East Side pretending to be poor and count your money.

It's tin pan alley rap.Except when Frankie Valli did that in early rock n roll, he really was a working class success story. The Beasties, a bunch of spoiled rich kids, saw their opporunity,went slumming and made out. That doesn't make them Pete Townsend or John Lennon.

Put it this way-I saw Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five attempt to open for the Clash in NYC. It dodn't last more than 3 minutes of cursing and booing white drunks flinging empties at the stage before they abandoned that idea. The Beasties by a. being white and b. sampling rock got around that.

"Hey, guys-let's sample Zeppelin!"Beastie Boys were safe rap for white suburbanites, nothing more.Some of their stuff is actually fun, but it was all marketing, not some brilliant music. Not saying that that's a bad thing, and they are at least actually musicians.If you enjoy it good for you. It's better and more profitable than Styx or REO Speedwagon, but that's not saying much.The overindulgent bullsh*t of the band members themselves and their fans trying to make it into more than what it is is really crap.Shut up, slum around the Lower East Side pretending to be poor and count your money.

It's tin pan alley rap.Except when Frankie Valli did that in early rock n roll, he really was a working class success story. The Beasties, a bunch of spoiled rich kids, saw their opporunity,went slumming and made out. That doesn't make them Pete Townsend or John Lennon.

Put it this way-I saw Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five attempt to open for the Clash in NYC. It dodn't last more than 3 minutes of cursing and booing white drunks flinging empties at the stage before they abandoned that idea. The Beasties by a. being white and b. sampling rock got around that.

You're an artist, Bugg.

I'm glad to hear it! :cheers:

Definitely enjoying them. Looking forward to getting them in my car stereo and cranking it out. Much more interesting than I expected - even after a couple hours of listening.

LOL I absolutely LOVE the Beasties but that's a really good point! ^that was pretty much me growing up.

Speaking for all the lower-middle class while suburban kids growing up in the 90's the BBoys ******* RULE and y'aaaaall squareheads can SUUUUUCK IT!!! :)

No seriously I actually respectfully disagree. Paul's Boutique is probably the greatest "let's sample the sh*t out of everything" album of all time. There's probably over 30 different bands on that album alone. And you know what, it's freaking GENIUS. That's about as far as the sampling went though. Copyright's came down hard after in particular b/c of that album's success. An absolutely amazing wonderfully talented band to boot. If you think otherwise it just shows your own musical ignorance, no offense. And Money Mark is a little riff/beat master.

Interesting opinion. Totally wrong and sounds like you're uniformed. You're only scratching the surface if you analysis only covers their early rap. It completely ignores their roots, the evolution of the band and the influences they've had on current day music. In many ways, they were as ground breaking if not more, than the legends you mentioned.

Your marketing comments are interesting. Even if thats the case, its impressive because they've still been able to capture audiences going into their 4th decade of making music. For some reason, I dont think clever marketing can be completely credited for the interest in the band, you dont last that long if there's not something more there.

Speaking for all the lower-middle class while suburban kids growing up in the 90's the BBoys ******* RULE and y'aaaaall squareheads can SUUUUUCK IT!!! :)

No seriously I actually respectfully disagree. Paul's Boutique is probably the greatest "let's sample the sh*t out of everything" album of all time. There's probably over 30 different bands on that album alone. And you know what, it's freaking GENIUS. That's about as far as the sampling went though. Copyright's came down hard after in particular b/c of that album's success. An absolutely amazing wonderfully talented band to boot. If you think otherwise it just shows your own musically ignorance, no offense. And Money Mark is a little riff/beat master.

Absolutely. That album hasnt really been matched.

But it just goes further than that, once they got back into playing instruments, they started making music nobody had ever heard before. They're isnt a genre that you can use to classify half of their sounds. Seems to me Bug doesnt know too much about them. One of the reasons for the Beasties success and influences they've had is because of the spectrum of music they cover. They grab the attention of fans from every style or preference. Thats why they've had the longevity, the mainstream success and why they've been able to for the most part break the reputation of just a bunch of wannabe Run DMC's (who btw was really the first rap group to sample rock and why I dont think Bugg really knows what he's talking about ;) )

Absolutely. That album hasnt really been matched.

But it just goes further than that, once they got back into playing instruments, they started making music nobody had ever heard before. They're isnt a genre that you can use to classify half of their sounds. Seems to me Bug doesnt know too much about them. One of the reasons for the Beasties success and influences they've had is because of the spectrum of music they cover. They grab the attention of fans from every style or preference. Thats why they've had the longevity, the mainstream success and why they've been able to for the most part break the reputation of just a bunch of wannabe Run DMC's (who btw was really the first rap group to sample rock and why I dont think Bugg really knows what he's talking about ;) )

The Beastie Boys are the Rajon Rondo of musical acts.

I just made my daughter get up and dance to this on Easter Sunday. How many bands can bring white suburbanite families together like that???

Incorporate some Dave Matthews Band into the playlist, as well. Might as well introduce her to all the not-threatening-to-Greenwich, genre-buffering acts all in one shot. Maybe some Insane Clown Posse.

Incorporate some Dave Matthews Band into the playlist, as well. Might as well introduce her to all the not-threatening-to-Greenwich, genre-buffering acts all in one shot. Maybe some Insane Clown Posse.

Dave Matthews is probably the gheyest band ever imo. ...And you can't shake your romp to the Insane Clown Posse.

...You're like my 9 year old who just glared at me when I said to get up and dance. The 7 year old just broke it down though.

Don't forget REM. And Coldplay.

Dave Mathews band is great if your looking to unite the world. I'm not, I will take a power chord over my kids back if they play that nonsense in the house. ICP? Their argument with Sharon Osbourne on Howard Stern is the single most entertaining thing they have done.

I like to listen to food cooking in the house.

Who does queer bait?

Nobody.

Grow up. They're a nice little band, not the "best" or "most" anything... people who say things like that about art are either young and ignorant or egomanical enough to believe the opinions they hold are fact.

No seriously I actually respectfully disagree. Paul's Boutique is probably the greatest "let's sample the sh*t out of everything" album of all time. There's probably over 30 different bands on that album alone. And you know what, it's freaking GENIUS. That's about as far as the sampling went though. Copyright's came down hard after in particular b/c of that album's success. An absolutely amazing wonderfully talented band to boot. If you think otherwise it just shows your own musical ignorance, no offense. And Money Mark is a little riff/beat master.

So they're great because they STOLE THE WORKS OF 30+ OTHERS before artists and record companies put a stop to it. Yeah, that puts them om par with the Ramones, the Clash and Black Sabbath-you know, something truly totally new, creative and not derivative.

So they're great because they STOLE THE WORKS OF 30+ OTHERS before artists and record companies put a stop to it. Yeah, that puts them om par with the Ramones, the Clash and Black Sabbath-you know, something truly totally new, creative and not derivative.

Citing the Ramones, the Clash, and Sabbath as examples of bands who did something truly totally new and not derivative is supposed to be funny, right?

Enough with this bullsh** about how original the Beastie Boys are. I know its not JiF's original question, but the only question I need to answer is:

Does the band/artist entertain me?

Y/N

In regards to the Beastie Boys, I circle the "Y" option. You guys are way too analytical with this stuff.

Did you really just put the Beasties in the Dave Matthews arena? He is my least favorite in artist ever. I'd really like to stab you to death.

Nobody.

Grow up. They're a nice little band, not the "best" or "most" anything... people who say things like that about art are either young and ignorant or egomanical enough to believe the opinions they hold are fact.

Grow up? You hippienoodledancingnerd, kma. Funny thing is, I'd generally agree with you but the Beasties are different. Nobody does what they do. If you know of a band that does, please show me, I'm sure I'd love them. I guess that fact not many bands even try, kind of takes away from it...but I think its more that other bands just cant do it.

Archived