Who's cooler than the Beastie Boys?

JustInFudge

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was he seated in the "Trailblazing Hip Hop Icon" section with Puff Daddy and Will Smith?

Sampling from Zep, the Police and the Clash, respectively. Much creativity there.They write the songs, uh, nah, they don't and never did.

BBs weren't the first to sample rock, but they marketed such sampling to silly white kids, which was a first. And the reason Adam Horowitz can afford karaoke rap artist section Knicks playoff tickets is because silly white suburbanites have always had more disposable income than their inner city brothers. The guy happened upon a great business plan, and for that he has my respect.

If I have to explain to anyone who knows anything about music why the Clash, Black Sabbath and the Ramones broke new ground, there's no point. Or you seriously need to load some of their stuff on your ipod and have a listen.

Sampling from Zep, the Police and the Clash, respectively. Much creativity there.They write the songs, uh, nah, they don't and never did.

BBs weren't the first to sample rock, but they marketed such sampling to silly white kids, which was a first. And the reason Adam Horowitz can afford karaoke rap artist section Knicks playoff tickets is because silly white suburbanites have always had more disposable income than their inner city brothers. The guy happened upon a great business plan, and for that he has my respect.

If I have to explain to anyone who knows anything about music why the Clash, Black Sabbath and the Ramones broke new ground, there's no point. Or you seriously need to load some of their stuff on your ipod and have a listen.

You actually think they pay for those tickets? I think Spike and Woody do, but not the rest.

So they're great because they STOLE THE WORKS OF 30+ OTHERS before artists and record companies put a stop to it. Yeah, that puts them om par with the Ramones, the Clash and Black Sabbath-you know, something truly totally new, creative and not derivative.

YES it is indeed GREAT!!!! And you're basically harping about one album, er, they've made other great albums too...Have you ever seen them live? Do you realize they can play instruments, and play them well, and that they've created some pretty amazing music?

So you like punk rock....Cool. Me too. It's 3 chord music anyone who's been playing an instrument for longer than 3 months can play. It would take me about an hour to learn all of Rocket to Russia on the guitar. I'm just making a point. The Ramones were great. But it's all just music. But to say or imply Beasties have/had no talent but the punk rock gods did is insane. Almost everything is taken from something else anyway, even looking at Paul's Boutique, you try mixing something as good as that album. You can't. But that was their intent, take all these difference sounds that influenced them and to put them all into one album as homage.... and it worked. And the songs are great which is all that matters. Again everything gets stolen from something else. Ask Elmore James if everything Jimmy Page...or SRV...or Eric Clapton...or Grateful Dead..or the Black Crows... did wasn't stolen. Give me a break. I could go on an on and on forever.

Or like most old people you conveniently employ a much more relaxed standard of innovativeness for records that were made when you could still get it up. Those bands are all fine but to suggest that any of them was -- what was it? totally new and not derivative? -- is an insult to (primarily) Chuck Berry.

I'd ask why MCA gets credit for Russell Simmons's business plan if I didn't already know the answer.

Weird, I was just saying to myself, if I had to explain to anyone who knows anything about music why the Beasties broke new ground, there's no point.

FTR, the Clash is my 2nd favorite band of all time and I have everything Black Sabbath ever produced and almost everything the Ramones have ever produced as well.

Weird, I was just saying to myself, if I had to explain to anyone who knows anything about music why the Beasties broke new ground, there's no point.

FTR, the Clash is my 2nd favorite band of all time and I have everything Black Sabbath ever produced and almost everything the Ramones have ever produced as well.

All art is derivative. It invariably reflects something already extant, whether it comes in the form of a grotesque or an outright simulation. The best you could hope for in terms of innovation is either a slight tweak from zero or better, more accessible packaging. The Beasties fall more into the latter than the former.

All art is derivative. It invariably reflects something already extant, whether it comes in the form of a grotesque or an outright simulation. The best you could hope for in terms of innovation is either a slight tweak from zero or better, more accessible packaging. The Beasties fall more into the latter than the former.

Sure. They were clearly were following the Footsteps of artists before them. Hardcore, punk, alternative, rap, hip-oip, jazz, funk...whatever genre of music they've played has been done before...but there isnt really another band who has even attempted to play all the above. And I dont really think that is some type of outlandish bold statement nor do I think my infinite love for their music is blinding me from seeing there are others too. And if it is, then simply name another band who has covered that wide of a spectrum. I cant and I listen to a lot of music...so therefore I've made the specific claim that they are the most diverse band off all time.

Honestly, the only band that comes to mind is Sublime...but I dont think they were as diverse.

Sure. They were clearly were following the Footsteps of artists before them. Hardcore, punk, alternative, rap, hip-oip, jazz, funk...whatever genre of music they've played has been done before...but there isnt really another band who has even attempted to play all the above.

Red Hot Chili Peppers. It doesn't really matter. Incorporation of elements of non-rock musical styles is way overrated as a barometer of inventiveness.

Red Hot Chili Peppers. It doesn't really matter. Incorporation of elements of non-rock musical styles is way overrated as a barometer of inventiveness.

Not if thats what you like in music.

RHCP is a good example. I'd still say the Beasties are a bit more diverse as they've really gone full fledged in one direction or the other. For example, RHCP doesnt have an album thats purely hip-hop, purely jazz, purely hardcore like the Beasties do. They've got a bunch of albums and songs that incorporate those genres into one. That said, I havent been a fan of anything they've released since BSSM.

Whether you like it and whether it's innovative are two different things. That Fred Durst isn't breaking ground merely by virtue of rapping over guitars is a separate issue from the fact that the music's no good.

Whether you like it and whether it's innovative are two different things. That Fred Durst isn't breaking ground merely by virtue of rapping over guitars is a separate issue from the fact that the music's no good.

True, because the Beasties did it long before him and the music still is good ;-)

I definitely thinks its innovative to cover all those genres on one album the way the Beasties did on Check Your Head, Ill Communication and Hello Nasty. And thats totally taking out the fact that they have songs that nobody can really categorize which in itself, is innovative.

Or like most old people you conveniently employ a much more relaxed standard of innovativeness for records that were made when you could still get it up. Those bands are all fine but to suggest that any of them was -- what was it? totally new and not derivative? -- is an insult to (primarily) Chuck Berry.

Chuck Berry? C'mon, he owes everything to Marty McFly!

Now I know ya'll be lovin this sh*t right here

L.I.M.P Bizkit is right here

People in the house with them hands in the air

Cause if you don't care then we don't care

One two three time zoom to the 6

Jonesin for you picks of the Limp Bizkit mix

So where the **** you at punk?

Shut the **** up

And back the **** up

Before we **** this track up

(Throw yo hands up)

Move in now move out

Hands up now hands down

Back up back up

Tell me what you're gonna do now

Breath in now breath out

Hands up now hands down

Back up back up

Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin' (x4)

YOU wanna mess with the Bizkit? - Yeah

You can't mess with the Bizkit - Why?

Cause we get it on - When?

Everyday and everynight - Oh

See this platnuim thing right here - Uh-Hu

Well we're doin it all the time - Wha?

So you better get some better beats

And uh, get some better rhymes - Doh!

We got the game set

So don't complain yet

24/7 never beggin for a raincheck

Old school soldiers

Blastin out the hot sh*t

That rock sh*t

Let 'em bounce in the mosh pit

(Throw yo hands up)

Move in now move out

Hands up now hands down

Back up back up

Breath in now breath out

Hands up now hands down

Back up back up

Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin' (x4)

Two observations on this thread:

1. We are actually having a debate over whether three middle aged Jewish guys are the coolest thing on the planet? The simple fact that anyone thinks three middle aged Jewish guys are the coolest thing on the planet is pretty damned impressive in and of itself.

2. For those denigrating the Beasties or suggesting that what they do isn't creative or impressive: if it was so easy where the **** are your gold records?

RHCP is a good example. I'd still say the Beasties are a bit more diverse as they've really gone full fledged in one direction or the other. For example, RHCP doesnt have an album thats purely hip-hop, purely jazz, purely hardcore like the Beasties do. They've got a bunch of albums and songs that incorporate those genres into one. That said, I havent been a fan of anything they've released since BSSM.

link up some pure jazz that the beasties did, and not the avante garde we don't know what to call it so we'll call it jazz variety jazz..

2. For those denigrating the Beasties or suggesting that what they do isn't creative or impressive: if it was so easy where the **** are your gold records?

if that's the criteria we're using, i don't want to hear a word out of you about anything other then eating, whining, sucking off rush or selling pipe. as of that statement above, that's all you are qualified to have an opinion on.

if that's the criteria we're using, i don't want to hear a word out of you about anything other then eating, whining, sucking off rush or selling pipe. as of that statement above, that's all you are qualified to have an opinion on.

Do I sh*t all over Phish every chance I get dipsh*t? No. When you have a hippie dippie suckfest over your favorite jam bands I don't comment. When RutgerJetsFan starts a thread touting whatever indie band he's into this week I hold my tongue.

Why is it that you feel the need to sh*t all over things you don't like? Is your cock really that small?

Do I sh*t all over Phish every chance I get dipsh*t? No. When you have a hippie dippie suckfest over your favorite jam bands I don't comment. When RutgerJetsFan starts a thread touting whatever indie band he's into this week I hold my tongue.

Why is it that you feel the need to sh*t all over things you don't like? Is your cock really that small?

this has nothing to do with sh*tting all over you or all over rush, you made a dumb statement and i called you on it.. that's it

oh and I actually don't mind the band, just think it's silly to say they're the best or most anything

btw, speaking of phish.. this is straight from wiki.. i count more styles listen in there then in jif's post about the beastialities

:D

MusicMain article: Music of Phish

Phish's music is an eclectic blend of rock, jazz, funk, progressive rock, new wave, ambient, bluegrass, psychedelic rock, reggae, Latin, folk, blues, country, and classical. Their more ambitious compositions (such as "You Enjoy Myself" and "Guyute") are often said to resemble classical music in a rock setting, much related to the genre of progressive rock. The band has performed nearly 650 individual compositions.

this has nothing to do with sh*tting all over you or all over rush, you made a dumb statement and i called you on it.. that's it

btw, speaking of phish.. this is straight from wiki.. i count more styles listen in there then in jif's post about the beastialities

:D

Wow. You are insanely insecure.

It's music dude. People like what they like. As long as someone isn't touting the artistic merits of teeny bopper crap I got no beef.

I find it hilariously pathetic when people feel the need to be assholes I'm threads about bands they don't like. What do you gain by denigrating someone else's favorite band?

Wow. You are insanely insecure.

It's music dude. People like what they like. As long as someone isn't touting the artistic merits of teeny bopper crap I got no beef.

I find it hilariously pathetic when people feel the need to be assholes I'm threads about bands they don't like. What do you gain by denigrating someone else's favorite band?

wtf are you talkign about.. i'm not deningrating the beastie boys, i'm just saying they're not the most diverse band of all time, which is what jif said... (nobody is) no more or less..

link up some pure jazz that the beasties did, and not the avante garde we don't know what to call it so we'll call it jazz variety jazz..

They're not blowing in horns, so you're not going to hear Coltrane, Davis or Satchmo. But all this is doing is proving my point. They can do it all. I dont know what you'd call this but here's some song from their albums since they started playing instruments again. You tell me what you'd call this type of music. These are off Check you Head, which is an extremely diverse album. Maybe Jazz/Funk fusion....idk.

wtf are you talkign about.. i'm not deningrating the beastie boys, i'm just saying they're not the most diverse band of all time, which is what jif said... (nobody is) no more or less..

I dont know any other way of trying to help you see what I'm saying than posting every genre they play. If you can show me a band that does this, then I'll bow down. But I dont think you can.

We'll start with their roots. Hardcore as kids. They were opening for bands like Bad Brains when they were kids, playing in some of the hardest scenes out there. Here's on of their early songs. They have multiple albums with great hardcore songs like these.

and

They then met Adom Horovitz, Adrock and started messing with turn tables. They produced this song which become big in the NYC dance scene and what ultimately connected them to Rick Rubin and then album most people know them for, Licence to Ill, which produced the staples like Fight for Your Right, No Sleep Till Brooklyn, etc (wont post those as I'm sure your familiar).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhCVX0-9TIc&feature=player_detailpage

They're not blowing in horns, so you're not going to hear Coltrane, Davis or Satchmo. But all this is doing is proving my point. They can do it all. I dont know what you'd call this but here's some song from their albums since they started playing instruments again. You tell me what you'd call this type of music. These are off Check you Head, which is an extremely diverse album. Maybe Jazz/Funk fusion....idk.

I'm no expert at classifing music, but that sounds like funk derivitative hiphop/alt rock fusion.. certainly no jazz to these ears, in any form..

I can see where you may think so, as maybe it is MMW' esque, but MMW uses more jazz time signatures / beats and obviously the musicianship is 1000x better..

Archived