Who's cooler than the Beastie Boys?

JustInFudge

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no expert at classifing music, but that sounds like funk derivitative hiphop/alt rock fusion.. certainly no jazz to these ears, in any form..

I can see where you may think so, as maybe it is MMW' esque, but MMW uses more jazz time signatures / beats and obviously the musicianship is 1000x better..

Its not exactly jazz, its like a jazz/funk fusion of sorts. I dont know...but hopefully listening to some of what I'm posting shows you how diverse they can be when most people think of them as a white RUN DMC.

Its not exactly jazz, its like a jazz/funk fusion of sorts. I dont know...but hopefully listening to some of what I'm posting shows you how diverse they can be when most people think of them as a white RUN DMC.

well, i don't think that. I've seen phish cover sabatoge after all ;).. I just think there's a lot of bands similiar to the beasties and other bands, including phish, are more diverse.. and I'm sure there's bands that i'm not aware of that are more diverse then phish. just think it's silly to argue "best" "most" when it comes to something like music, so much good stuff out there and bands doing cool stuff that you've never even heard of

edit: except for rush, who just sucks

well, i don't think that. I've seen phish cover sabatoge after all ;).. I just think there's a lot of bands similiar to the beasties and other bands, including phish, are more diverse.. and I'm sure there's bands that i'm not aware of that are more diverse then phish. just think it's silly to argue "best" "most" when it comes to something like music, so much good stuff out there and bands doing cool stuff that you've never even heard of

I agree. I guess our definition of the word diverse is the difference.

The Beasties have released, punk albums, hardcore albums, rap albums, hiphop albums, jazz/funk instrumental albums, albums that mix that all and more into one and they've done great work with them all. You dont see that from other bands.

I see that as diverse as opposed to a phish who can probably play any style of music out there, but what they write is pretty similar sounding rock music.

I see that as diverse as opposed to a phish who can probably play any style of music out there, but what they write is pretty similar sounding rock music.

not really true at all dude.. these songs are off a single album and really sound nothing alike, stylistically..

this has nothing to do with sh*tting all over you or all over rush, you made a dumb statement and i called you on it.. that's it

Glad to see the enormity of your dooshiness is not restricted only to the mafia forum. You've been in rare form this week, even for you, you are being a dick.

Glad to see the enormity of your dooshiness is not restricted only to the mafia forum. You've been in rare form this week, even for you, you are being a dick.

go cry on someone's shoulders that cares, the human's are trying to have a conversation here

Ruh-roh... did I make CTM angry???

1155043_f520.jpg

not at all, if you want me to continue making you look stupid in the other forums as well, I'll happily oblige.. I just think you'd want to keep it confined to one spot

not at all, if you want me to continue making you look stupid in the other forums as well, I'll happily oblige.. I just think you'd want to keep it confined to one spot

Would that require you to log more that the current 23 hours a day online you are at? If so, then don't bother, I'd hate to see you cranky... you might forget how to joke around.

Is there ANY music that can be considered innovative anymore? Of course you have to take elements from previous artists. Why does that automatically take away from the artist?

I don't think that everything that can be described in X + Y = Nirvana terms is necessarily not innovative. The new TV on the Radio record is insane good but it's basically a mashup of Odelay/Vultures-era Beck and that Moby record with all the commercials. Just about everything where X is either 12-bar blues or three chords and a cloud of dust, however, has been done to death.

btw, speaking of phish.. this is straight from wiki.. i count more styles listen in there then in jif's post about the beastialities

:D

Thats fresh, using wiki as a reference as if one of your tree hugging buddies didnt write that. For sh*ts and giggles, I searched the Beasties and all it said was a hip-hop band, which clearly shows how unreliable of a source that is ;-).

I don't think that everything that can be described in X + Y = Nirvana terms is necessarily not innovative. The new TV on the Radio record is insane good but it's basically a mashup of Odelay/Vultures-era Beck and that Moby record with all the commercials. Just about everything where X is either 12-bar blues or three chords and a cloud of dust, however, has been done to death.

It's funny, TVoTR is exactly what came to mind a few pages back for me also. Not the new LP but mainly Return to Cookie Mountain. I think Nine Types is very good, just disappointing in the fact that it makes you realize they're getting older and are entering in to that "it's time to start writing more love songs now" phase of their library.

It's funny, TVoTR is exactly what came to mind a few pages back for me also. Not the new LP but mainly Return to Cookie Mountain. I think Nine Types is very good, just disappointing in the fact that it makes you realize they're getting older and are entering in to that "it's time to start writing more love songs now" phase of their library.

what's teh deal with that anyway?

what's teh deal with that anyway?

Getting older I guess. They took a long hiatus and I think they're all married now. I think musicians for the most part write about what's in front of them, and for a long time their songs were about stuff like being young, government, f-cking...etc. Plenty of tracks where you couldn't figure out what the hell they were talking about. Standard stuff really. Once you get married and have kids I guess it just becomes a bit on the corny side to keep at the same subject matter. Not doing as many drugs I'd suppose plays a part as well. What separated TVoTR from the rest though, for all that time, was this crazy ability to make power chords work with Sitek's incredibly deranged style of producing, and you really didn't care if the songs made no sense because they sounded so awesome. (Tunde also has one of the greatest voices in the history of rock). It's a much more mellow sound now, refined and discernible, which is totally cool, I guess I just miss my band.

Getting older I guess. They took a long hiatus and I think they're all married now. I think musicians for the most part write about what's in front of them, and for a long time their songs were about stuff like being young, government, f-cking...etc. Plenty of tracks where you couldn't figure out what the hell they were talking about. Standard stuff really. Once you get married and have kids I guess it just becomes a bit on the corny side to keep at the same subject matter. Not doing as many drugs I'd suppose plays a part as well. What separated TVoTR from the rest though, for all that time, was this crazy ability to make power chords work with Sitek's incredibly deranged style of producing, and you really didn't care if the songs made no sense because they sounded so awesome. (Tunde also has one of the greatest voices in the history of rock). It's a much more mellow sound now, refined and discernible, which is totally cool, I guess I just miss my band.

Drag about Gerard Smith. RIP.

As to your points about why bands change artistically, I think cash rules on that one, too. Hard to be angst-ridden and principled over too much when you have a mil in the bank, so artists write about fame or the old standby, love. Bruce Springsteen wrote it best, "Well I took a piss at fortune's sweet kiss/It's like eatin' caviar and dirt./It's a sad funny ending to find yourself pretending/A rich man in a poor man's shirt."

It's a pretty common phenomenom anyway... DO the beasies write love songs now, or is this another way they are different then everyone else ;)

The Beastie Boys invented love songs. It started as funk-zydeco fusion, but ended up as love songs. Get with it.

Drag about Gerard Smith. RIP.

As to your points about why bands change artistically, I think cash rules on that one, too. Hard to be angst-ridden and principled over too much when you have a mil in the bank, so artists write about fame or the old standby, love. Bruce Springsteen wrote it best, "Well I took a piss at fortune's sweet kiss/It's like eatin' caviar and dirt./It's a sad funny ending to find yourself pretending/A rich man in a poor man's shirt."

Always liked Smith as a bassist. Saw him live at a couple shows and he always seemed to be so content just chilling up on a stage and being in a band. I'm always jealous of that kind of calm to tell you the truth.

I think it's a case-by-case thing. It seems to me like these guys really got played out being in this particular band. Cookie Mountain really blew them up and they toured relentlessly, then went into Dear Science, then toured again...etc. Kyp and Sitek did their solo stuff, and so it goes. I think a band like them shows how innovativeness can be a bit on the overrated side at times. They're not the most original act at all. I mean really their music is just Bowie and Reznor redone and fiddled around with on newer equipment. By all accounts, Animal Collective is probably the most original act to come along in decades, and their signatures, patterns, and overall approach to music are nothing short of true genius; but you couldn't play them in front of 99% of people without getting a facial reaction like you'd just raped a puppy or something. It's really why only hipsters dig them, because everyone else doesn't. Which is the wrong reason for liking any band. Just goes to show you can blend everything in the world together, but if you can't make it sound awesome then nobody is going to give a sh*t.

Quite a diverse band eh? Nobody's ever played as many genres as well as them. They are my all time favorites. They are basically a band that is tailor made for my ear and what I like in music.

And I'll have you know, our Beatles/Kinks discussion had me revisit the Beatles and I take back the bore comments. Definitely far from it. This revisit has given me a new found appreciation for their stuff.

Listening yesterday, I thought of this post as I heard the Beasties sampling the Beatles' The End in The Sounds of Science. If I'm not mistaken, they took the drums from Sgt. Pepper Reprise and used the chords from The End. It was pretty cool. B)

I need to listen more before I jump on board with the many genres thing. I'd say punk, hip-hop, and funk are pretty clear. There are some tastes of jazz or reggae, but no more than a ton of artists from The Clash to The Police - good company, but I'm not thinking ground breaking at this point.

Still, they keep it interesting from track to track, and album to album, and that's what's more important to me. I like bands to evolve over time, not just dip their toes into a little bit of everything. You see that with all the bands I mentioned above. A couple of my favorites are The Pixies and Talking Heads -two bands who I can listen to their entire discography (maybe minus the Heads' Naked album) without getting tired of them- and I don't think anyone would describe them as playing many genres. Instead, they keep in interesting in the same basic genre throughout their careers. Further, it's only when the Heads branched out into that Spanish sounding crap on their last record that I even start to lose interest in them.

Listening yesterday, I thought of this post as I heard the Beasties sampling the Beatles' The End in The Sounds of Science. If I'm not mistaken, they took the drums from Sgt. Pepper Reprise and used the chords from The End. It was pretty cool. B)

I need to listen more before I jump on board with the many genres thing. I'd say punk, hip-hop, and funk are pretty clear. There are some tastes of jazz or reggae, but no more than a ton of artists from The Clash to The Police - good company, but I'm not thinking ground breaking at this point.

Still, they keep it interesting from track to track, and album to album, and that's what's more important to me. I like bands to evolve over time, not just dip their toes into a little bit of everything. You see that with all the bands I mentioned above. A couple of my favorites are The Pixies and Talking Heads -two bands who I can listen to their entire discography (maybe minus the Heads' Naked album) without getting tired of them- and I don't think anyone would describe them as playing many genres. Instead, they keep in interesting in the same basic genre throughout their careers. Further, it's only when the Heads branched out into that Spanish sounding crap on their last record that I even start to lose interest in them.

Well, they were ground breaking in the fact they helped take hip-hop into suburban america and opened up the door for not only white rappers, but rapping over instruments as well. But my argument was never really that they are some ground breaking band. My argument is that they are the most diverse. Which I'm not going to be convinced otherwise :P .

Like I said before, there are bands who incorporate different genres into one and play them all over the course of an album or 2. But there are no bands out there that have released strictly a rap album, a hip-hop album, a alternative album, a punk album, a hardcore album and an all instrumental jazz/funk fusion album. Thats my point. They play it all well enough that they literally can fully step into that style of music and produce an entire album filled with great music.

FTR, if I had to make a list of my favorite bands of all time...like a top 5 or 10...the Clash, Talking Heads and The Pixies would 100% be on that list.

Well, they were ground breaking in the fact they helped take hip-hop into suburban america and opened up the door for not only white rappers, but rapping over instruments as well.

No debate there. I was still kinda young when Fight For Your Right broke, and loved it then. Definitely ground breaking stuff on that front.

I don't hear much good hip-hop, and as an old pasty vanilla slice of white bread, just don't find myself exposed to it. People my age get that from their kids, but my son likes classic rock more than I do, and my daughter seems to be into lesbian goddess folk whatever music. :lol:

Beastie+Boys+-+Licensed+To+Ill.jpg

Somebody gave me this record to listen to in 1988 and asked for my opinion.

I told him there wasn't much musically on it that interested me, but that the lyrics were quite clever. It was my first exposure to rap style music.

It baffles me how the "Fight for your Right" song became popular. No real tune anywhere. I guess it's the sentiment and the beat.

Archived