Who's cooler than the Beastie Boys?

JustInFudge

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just downloaded the new album. First listen sounds like some pretty out there hip-hop tracks, almost psychedelic in many ways, which would kind of make sense seeing that movie. Its like futuristic type sh*t. Very excited to give this a full listen. Kind of gives me a Hello Nasty feel...but sounds like the album is predominately hiphop. Sounds like the ultimate party album at first listen. Boogie Woogie Futuristic Psychedelic HipHop.

Some killer beats thats for sure. Has some 80's style house breaks too.

You can tell its all their instruments with heavy samples/mixing/scratching...but there is a song they they completely rap over what sounds like their typical hardcore song. Thats how they make most of their music, but is obvious on this record. Pretty sick - Lee Majors Come Again.

Dont play no games that I cant win - is a stand out track so far. Featuring Santigold?

To address the initial question, the list of people who are cooler than the Beasties is far too long to list. Hell, the list of people on this board cooler than them is even too long.

In all seriousness, I don't hate on the band, but I also have never really gotten it too much. I like some of their stuff, but for me personally they've always been one of those bands that I can only listen to every so often and for so long before I get sick of listening to them. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't do it for me. But if this helps the argument any, it's still better than Phish who I don't listen to at all and who's fans more often than not I want to punch in the face... repeatedly. ******* hippies.

To address the initial question, the list of people who are cooler than the Beasties is far too long to list. Hell, the list of people on this board cooler than them is even too long.

In all seriousness, I don't hate on the band, but I also have never really gotten it too much. I like some of their stuff, but for me personally they've always been one of those bands that I can only listen to every so often and for so long before I get sick of listening to them. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't do it for me. But if this helps the argument any, it's still better than Phish who I don't listen to at all and who's fans more often than not I want to punch in the face... repeatedly. ******* hippies.

Lol.. way to have an informed opinion!

Before this thread dies out, JiF is going to try to convince us that the Beastie Boys also invented the harpsichord and the whammy bar. Stay alert.

Beasties Boys, grandfathers of the harpsichord

Lol.. way to have an informed opinion!

There's a difference between having not listened to them ever and not regularly listening to them of my own accord, douchenozzle. Unless you are suggesting I listen to something I'm not interested in listening to so that I am allowed to speak on it.

Besides, even if I had never heard a single note of a single song, their fans alone are enough reason not to like them.

There's a difference between having not listened to them ever and not regularly listening to them of my own accord, douchenozzle. Unless you are suggesting I listen to something I'm not interested in listening to so that I am allowed to speak on it.

Besides, even if I had never heard a single note of a single song, their fans alone are enough reason not to like them.

bwhahahahahahahahahahaha....so true...stinkin wannabe hippies.

that's usually the reason given for why people don't like the jets :D

Been busy, Steve?

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beastie_boys

No, you ****nut and I didnt even see that excerpt on the wiki page.

I did however find this excerpt and its basically how I was describing of the record...they make all their music this way (jamming out in the studio and then figuring out what they want to do with each jam) but its more obvious on this record as their instruments stand out as the back lining beats w/ samples on top.

In February 2009, Yauch revealed their forthcoming new album has taken the band's sound in a "bizarre" new direction, saying "It's a combination of playing and sampling stuff as we're playing, and also sampling pretty obscure records."

you shut up homo wannaba player..

bahahahahah

You know what? **** you! Cock sucker.

I didnt even say you were one of those stinkin hippies. Even though I know you are King Noodle Dancer. I kept it general and laughed at the masses of wannabe hippies you rub elbows with at those freak shows. Sad thing is, these hippies you hang out with would be more likely to steal than to give. I hope you catch an STD from one of those dirty unkempt hippies during an after show orgy/drum circle.

In February 2009, Yauch revealed their forthcoming new album has taken the band's sound in a "bizarre" new direction, saying "It's a combination of playing and sampling stuff as we're playing, and also sampling pretty obscure records."

Well, I'M convinced. You know what would be pretty cool? If they sampled Queen's "Under Pressure" and added some hooks over the type about driving through South Beach with their ragtop down so their hair can blow.

http://blog.beastieboys.com/post/4932388706/good-people-unfortunately-due-to-circumstances

the whole album track by track

lee majors comes again is stellar..................do yourself a favor and listen to it on real speakers

Big fan of that track. Totally a hardcore song they decide to rap over. At first I thought for sure Mike D was going to come in and sing but was please to hear all three rapping over that beat. Pretty sick indeed.

Well, I'M convinced. You know what would be pretty cool? If they sampled Queen's "Under Pressure" and added some hooks over the type about driving through South Beach with their ragtop down so their hair can blow.

**** off, you lousy POS. You're a miserable ****.

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. No such sample ever took place. Those songs are simply not the same, just ask the man himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAJ0dIImKBU

You know what? **** you! Cock sucker.

I didnt even say you were one of those stinkin hippies. Even though I know you are King Noodle Dancer. I kept it general and laughed at the masses of wannabe hippies you rub elbows with at those freak shows. Sad thing is, these hippies you hang out with would be more likely to steal than to give. I hope you catch an STD from one of those dirty unkempt hippies during an after show orgy/drum circle.

Lol.. i hate hippies too.. especially the ones wander around the lot in bare feet, stoned out of thier mind, carry'in surfboards and wearing shark tooth necklaces.. they're the worst of worst

Lol.. i hate hippies too.. especially the ones wander around the lot in bare feet, stoned out of thier mind, carry'in surfboards and wearing shark tooth necklaces.. they're the worst of worst

Who brings a surfboard to a phish show? You wannabe hippies are weird.

My review so far. I don't like all the funky stuff and most of the distorted voices, sounds way too overdone/overproduced for my liking. That overproduced sound seems to be the problem with most bands past their prime; Megadeth, Metallica, and pretty much every other genre has had some share of this problem. With that said, I love Make Some Noise and the instrumental Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament. Didn't like the Nas song and a bunch of others so far. OK is a rather apt way of describing the song of that name. Say It sounds like something from Prodigy; I'm not a big fan of it but it's catchy, I guess. Lee Majors is a nice song.

Overall, I wouldn't bother to relisten to any song other than Make Some Noise, Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament, and Lee Majors Come Again. Three nice, good-but-not-awesome songs isn't very impressive in my opinion.

*Music's all subjective and all that fun stuff. Not trying to get in the Phish vs Beastie Boys flamerfest.

Were you not aware that you were buying a Beastie Boys album?

Lol! I didn't buy it! Their older stuff sounds a lot more natural than what's on this album--their voices would've still been distorted and all that stuff, but I just feel that it didn't work for most of this latest effort. Other than a punk-ish song, an instrumental, and one other song. A ton of 1-2 minute fillers.

Archived