Judge orders end NFL lockout,

visajets

Judge orders end to NFL lockout, appeal expected

Published: Monday, April 25, 2011, 6:01 PM Updated: Monday, April 25, 2011, 6:14 PM

By Brent Johnson/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

ST. PAUL, Minn. — A federal judge has sided with NFL players and granted their request for a preliminary injunction to lift the lockout.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson issued her ruling late today. The ruling gives the players an early victory in their fight with NFL owners over a new collective bargaining agreement in the $9 billion business.

Owners imposed the lockout after talks broke down on March 11 and the players disbanded their union. The players say the lockout is causing irreparable harm to their careers. A group of players filed the injunction request along with an antitrust lawsuit against the league.

The owners argued it was their right to institute the lockout. They are expected to appeal Nelson's ruling.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judge orders end to NFL lockout, appeal expected

Published: Monday, April 25, 2011, 6:01 PM Updated: Monday, April 25, 2011, 6:14 PM

By Brent Johnson/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

ST. PAUL, Minn. — A federal judge has sided with NFL players and granted their request for a preliminary injunction to lift the lockout.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson issued her ruling late today. The ruling gives the players an early victory in their fight with NFL owners over a new collective bargaining agreement in the $9 billion business.

Owners imposed the lockout after talks broke down on March 11 and the players disbanded their union. The players say the lockout is causing irreparable harm to their careers. A group of players filed the injunction request along with an antitrust lawsuit against the league.

The owners argued it was their right to institute the lockout. They are expected to appeal Nelson's ruling.

So how soon before the owners appeal and this mess goes back to the courtroom again?

I've actually sided more with the owners than players in this whole thing, but frankly who really gives a **** who "wins"? This just brings us one step closer to having an NFL season, so I am ******* psyched! At this point I hope they just deny the NFL's appeal with great haste and get this sh*t going again.

Seems like the espn article said that since there will be an appeal it could drag on through spring and in the summer which can delay the season.... Seems like if they appeal the lockout starts again? Like when a baseball player is suspended but they appeal they don't serve the suspension until they lose the appeal

So now what happens?

"It means that the NFL is going to go back to business as usual with the old system," said attorney Jerome Stanley, a longtime player agent. "The parties will eventually sit down and negotiate a new system."

My question is if they go by the 2010 rules and they agree on something at the next meeting how does that affect the contacts players signed before then like if we sign Holmes and Edwards this week would the new deal affect there contracts? No right?

My question is if they go by the 2010 rules and they agree on something at the next meeting how does that affect the contacts players signed before then like if we sign Holmes and Edwards this week would the new deal affect there contracts? No right?

it would mean we will be in a mad frenzy to sign the F/A's we want-LIKE Brayon and Santonio and Cro and probably Ellis

If they go back to 2010 rules Santonio is an RFA.

and as Mort just tweeted Peyton an UNrestricted F/A...he's the league's spokesman and main bread and butter guy so the league will NOT let mass chaos ensue and force the owners to make a deal I would think

Can the teams now execute trades ?

This might be huge with the draft just round the corner.

has to get resolved first-either tonight but probably tomorrow-so there's a chance trades can happen before the draft one would think-I'm following this all on Twitter now-it's not like I know WTF I'm talking about

has to get resolved first-either tonight but probably tomorrow-so there's a chance trades can happen before the draft one would think-I'm following this all on Twitter now-it's not like I know WTF I'm talking about

We are all in the same boat. :)

I am not an attorney and i do not play one on TeeVee but I am thinking since the judge held NFL's actions illegal that should mean even during the appeals process this ruling would hold and trades can take place.

But its another thing if Goddell might do a nod nod wink wink and the teams do not discuss any trades at all.

We are all in the same boat. :)

I am not an attorney and i do not play one on TeeVee but I am thinking since the judge held NFL's actions illegal that should mean even during the appeals process this ruling would hold and trades can take place.

But its another thing if Goddell might do a nod nod wink wink and the teams do not discuss any trades at all.

and that would be collusion-a no no

So how soon before the owners appeal and this mess goes back to the courtroom again?

:30 minutes after the judgement took place...

NFL to appeal after lockout lifted

DAVE CAMPBELL

Minneapolis— The Associated Press

Published Monday, Apr. 25, 2011 6:21PM EDT

Last updated Monday, Apr. 25, 2011 7:32PM EDT

“We believe that federal law bars injunctions in labor disputes,” the league said. “We are confident that the Eighth Circuit will agree. But we also believe that this dispute will inevitably end with a collective bargaining agreement, which would be in the best interests of players, clubs and fans. We can reach a fair agreement only if we continue negotiations toward that goal.”

Said Jim Quinn, an attorney for the players: “They better act quickly, because as of right now there's no stay and, presumably, players could sign with teams. There are no guidelines as of right now, so they have to put something in place quickly.

“It is their league: They can put it whatever they decide. If they put in something not restrictive to the players and fair to the players, that is fine. If not, we will litigate.”

If the injunction is upheld, the NFL must resume business, although under what guidelines is uncertain.

It could invoke the 2010 rules for free agency, meaning players would need six seasons of service before becoming unrestricted free agents when their contracts expire; previously, it was four years. The requirement for unrestricted free agents would be four years rather than the three years before 2010. There also was no salary cap in 2010, meaning teams could spend as much — or as little — as they wanted.

Also, the NFL would need to determine what or if offseason workouts can be held while the appeal is being heard.

Clearly, it's complicated.

The NFL has even argued to Nelson that stopping the lockout would open all 32 teams up to additional antitrust claims simply for working together to solve the labor dispute. Antitrust claims carry triple damages for any harm proven, meaning hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake.

At the hearing before Nelson on April 6, the crux of the argument from NFL lawyer David Boies was that the court shouldn't have control of a conflict that grew out of a labor dispute. Boies even tried to lighten the mood by telling her, “No lawyer ever wants to stand in front of a judge and say, ‘You don't have jurisdiction.“’

The owners, in support of their argument, pointed to their pending unfair labor charge filed with the National Labor Relations Board that the players didn't negotiate in good faith.

Nelson disagreed — and threw cold water on that hope, too.

NFL to appeal after lockout lifted - AP

so are they still a union ? I wonder if the NFL has a way to stick it to the players that way

this whole thing is so screwed up

as log as the players don't get rid of the draft or the cap, I don't care how they split the money

Chris Mortensen said the whole appeal thing for the "stay" the owners want will be decided tomorrow and many thing the owners 89 pages are too strong to be overturned. If tomorrow they don't put a stay on it Mortensen said free agency and trades could open on draft day

If they go back to 2010 rules Santonio is an RFA.

Excellent point.

The balls in the Owners court now. If they want football this year, now is the time to push this down the road a year, and get the players back to the table. In what ever form that might be.

If they are going to play hard ball, they will appeal, get an injunction, and push this thing to the wall.

This could be a very good thing.

Chris Mortensen said the whole appeal thing for the "stay" the owners want will be decided tomorrow and many thing the owners 89 pages are too strong to be overturned. If tomorrow they don't put a stay on it Mortensen said free agency and trades could open on draft day

That would be the bestest NFL off-season day ever. Teams announcing free agent signings immediately after they miss out on a player they wanted to draft.

"And with the 30th pick in the NFL draft, the New York Jets select Phil Taylor, Defensive Tackle, Baylor...and that they've signed Lamaar Woodley to a four year, $43 million dollar contract..."

That would be the bestest NFL off-season day ever. Teams announcing free agent signings immediately after they miss out on a player they wanted to draft.

"And with the 30th pick in the NFL draft, the New York Jets select Phil Taylor, Defensive Tackle, Baylor...and that they've signed Lamaar Woodley to a four year, $43 million dollar contract..."

That sounds like a really good dream.

Lester Munson summed it up pretty well on ESPN.

The owners are hosed, they will lose the appeal, the judge has shown she is 100% with the players, and we will have a CBA before long.

SMC called this right on the money from the get go. Lets play some football.

That would be freakin' brilliant. And you know the Jets would be the craziest MFers when it came to that crap too. Every time they missed out on a player or position they wanted there would be some sort of splashy signing, and then if they found somebody they liked later turn around and trade the ****er to address something else. It could be a sh*tstorm of awesome.

Archived