Judge orders end NFL lockout,

visajets

The preliminary injunction was the whole fight. The owners lose on appeal (which they will) on the injunction issue then they're toast. There is no way the owners are going to spend millions of dollars in legal fees to litigate an anti-trust case for years.

Brady v. NFL was all about negotiating leverage and the players have it. The same thing that happened with White v. NFL will happen now. The players bitchslap the owners in the early legal battles and either the parties agree to a new CBA or the court will impose one.

Therein lies the real battle (negotiating the CBA). The rest of this is all preliminary dancing to gain leverage. This cuts to the chase.

But negotiating the CBA will be a battle of wills. If the players walk away again, the court of public opinion will sway from their side. Hopefully this forces both sides to negotiate in good will.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Therein lies the real battle (negotiating the CBA). The rest of this is all preliminary dancing to gain leverage. This cuts to the chase.

But negotiating the CBA will be a battle of wills. If the players walk away again, the court of public opinion will sway from their side. Hopefully this forces both sides to negotiate in good will.

The players are the ones who were walking into team facilities all around the country today...they WANT to go back to work, it's the mega rich owners who are playing hardball and everybody sees that now. The owners all colluded together last night on a conference call to make sure that not one training facility would be open this morning and every training staff was told they had the day off. It took a while to figure out where we stand on this but the FANS are on the players side now SD.

The players are the ones who were walking into team facilities all around the country today...they WANT to go back to work, it's the mega rich owners who are playing hardball and everybody sees that now. The owners all colluded together last night on a conference call to make sure that not one training facility would be open this morning and every training staff was told they had the day off. It took a while to figure out where we stand on this but the FANS are on the players side now SD.

Who walked away from the negotiating table first?

Of course players showed up, it was in their legal best interest to show up.

Who walked away from the negotiating table first?

Of course players showed up, it was in their legal best interest to show up.

and for some, in their finacial best interest-work out bonuses are unreal for two Jets; Brick and Scott a million between them

That's what General Custer said.

The NFL owners have been getting bitchslapped in court for YEARS. Even the conservative US Supreme Court tea bagged them 9-0 last year in the American Needles case.

The NFL owners need a new legal team, legal strategy, and new commissioner.

Not that I disagree with you on anything else, but do you think the Supreme Court's being conservative as an advantage to the owners in this case? Sure conservatives generally don't like change, but in this case there are a lot of strict constructionists. Letting the owners get away with murder requires bending the law (for the benefit of "the Fan"?) to allow the game to remain the one we've loved. American Needle may be somewhat different, but I think that the idea of the construction of the league as a single entity entitled to operate without dealing with normal anti-trust provisions requires a fairly liberal reading of the law.

Haha!

The owners only want a rookie cap, because it's those higher rookie wages that fuel the higher wages for veterans. They cap Sam Bradford's deal, then Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have a more difficult time asking what they're asking for. That's all that that's about.

Unless you're still under the impression that trickle down economics actually benefits someone other than the gazillionaire who's asked -but not compelled- to do the trickling.

Actually it will. The important thing to the players is the total cap. If they get a large cap and continue with the minimum cap then limiting the the rookies wages will benefit veterans. The cap will ensure the amount of money that the owners spend. I don't see the players allowing the cap to go down so I think it will actually benefit vets.

That's what General Custer said.

The NFL owners have been getting bitchslapped in court for YEARS. Even the conservative US Supreme Court tea bagged them 9-0 last year in the American Needles case.

The NFL owners need a new legal team, legal strategy, and new commissioner.

Not been a fan of any commissioner past, present or even future.

But not sure what a new commissioner would do different than the current one ?

Not that I disagree with you on anything else, but do you think the Supreme Court's being conservative as an advantage to the owners in this case? Sure conservatives generally don't like change, but in this case there are a lot of strict constructionists. Letting the owners get away with murder requires bending the law (for the benefit of "the Fan"?) to allow the game to remain the one we've loved. American Needle may be somewhat different, but I think that the idea of the construction of the league as a single entity entitled to operate without dealing with normal anti-trust provisions requires a fairly liberal reading of the law.

D, I agree with you actually directly on this point.

That's why I think the people saying the NFL will win on the appeal because the Appellate Court is conservative is on the moon. A conservative court is not going to endorse the owners' illegal employment activity. They're also not going to be activist and overturn a lower court when the standard of review is abuse of discretion.

Sometimes I wonder what planet this man is living on and if he's actually serious.

Please go away.

This guy is even dumber than I thought. What does publishing that do other than piss off the players?

What a completely moronic buffoon this man is! I don't know that I've ever seen anyone in this far over their head.

This guy is even dumber than I thought. What does publishing that do other than piss off the players?

What a completely moronic buffoon this man is! I don't know that I've ever seen anyone in this far over their head.

The op ed is obviously pretty reactionary as you can tell he's fuming that he and the owners arent getting their way.

His target base has become the high income, white collar, Bronxville resident(like himself) that rides the Metro North into Midtown and vacations to Nantucket. I dont even think they're buying it as this point.

The guy wants to be the star of the league and its blowing up in his face.

The op ed is obviously pretty reactionary as you can tell he's fuming that he and the owners arent getting their way.

His target base has become the high income, white collar, Bronxville resident(like himself) that rides the Metro North into Midtown and vacations to Nantucket. I dont even think they're buying it as this point.

I thought he cared about the middle class working fans that make up a majority of NFL fanbase...

I thought he cared about the middle class working fans that make up a majority of NFL fanbase...

I could care less if he's out of touch with the fans or not...just keep your damn face of the televison and stay away from the game you clearly know nothing about.

His target base has become the high income, white collar, Bronxville resident(like himself) that rides the Metro North into Midtown and vacations to Nantucket and reads the Wall Street Journal. I dont even think they're buying it as this point.

Fixed.

This article in the Wall Street Journal is nothing more than Goddell talking to the people who actually can understand the suffering and the hardships of the wealthy. And they all are totally buying into his BS and all other BS that gets printed there like why do we financial reforms.

If Goddell wanted this article to be seen by the middle class working joe who actually follows the sport with passion he would have sent this article to ESPN.com!

Fixed.

This article in the Wall Street Journal is nothing more than Goddell talking to the people who actually can understand the suffering and the harships of the wealthy. And they all are totally buying into his BS and all other BS that gets printed there like why do we financial reforms.

If Goddell wanted this article to be seen by the middle class working joe who actually follows the sport with passion he would have sent this article to ESPN.com!

Nothing wrong with reading the WSJ...but it seems pretty transparent who he was targeting here.

Which a lot of people are going to take as 1. Condescending and 2. Out of touch.

Both of those pretty much sum up Goodell to a T.

Fixed.

This article in the Wall Street Journal is nothing more than Goddell talking to the people who actually can understand the suffering and the harships of the wealthy. And they all are totally buying into his BS and all other BS that gets printed there like why do we financial reforms.

Yeah, because its not like this editorial is available to read for free to anyone with an internet connection or anything. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with reading the WSJ...but it seems pretty transparent who he was targeting here.

Which a lot of people are going to take as 1. Condescending and 2. Out of touch.

Goodell's job as he is hired is not to make you the fans satisfied with his performance. His job is to make the owners satisfied with his performance.

I could not tell you what they think of him or his performance.

Not a job I would want

Yeah, because its like every working class stiff with an internet connection cannot wait to go the Wall Street Journal site on a daily basis or anything like that! :rolleyes:

It's got Roger Goodell's name attached to it. I guarantee there is a thread or an article with a link to that editorial on every website having anything to do with the NFL already.

Any commissioner is hired by the owners to do their bidding. His job is to the best he can for the owners.

All the talk about how important and beloved the fans are is just a PR handjob!

Goodell's job as he is hired is not to make you the fans satisfied with his performance. His job is to make the owners satisfied with his performance.

Not a job I would want

Then what the hell was the point of writing an Op ed?

Any commissioner is hired by the owners to do their bidding. His job is to the best he can for the owners.

All the talk about how important and beloved the fans are is just a PR handjob!

And PR is typically their greatest responsibility along with being a back room lawyer.

Their premise-You can fool some of the people some of the time, and in that case, that is good enough. For those that figure you out, the hell with them.

It's got Roger Goodell's name attached to it. I guarantee there is a thread or an article with a link to that editorial on every website having anything to do with the NFL already.

That's altogether another thing.

The whole article reeks of the theme you see in many articles on financial reforms. Lots of crying at the hardships and the armageddon that will strike if the so called order is disturbed to not be in favor of the wealthy!

And PR is typically their greatest responsibility along with being a back room lawyer.

Their premise-You can fool some of the people some of the time, and in that case, that is good enough. For those that figure you out, the hell with them.

Not saying PR isn't his responsibility.

But most people fall for it most of the time. That's why they keep giving verbal VJ's while squeezing the very same people of their hard earned money in every which way!

The only reason they can say the hell with them to the people who figure it out is because there are not very many of them.

Think about it this way-Who does the NFL risk losing in terms of fans?

Is it the hard core fan that follows every issue, understands every nuance, will support their team and league through thick or thin? Of course not, they have those suckers reeled in?

Who will the alienate? The fringe fan of course. The person that will watch the game with limited attention, and who may look at a work stoppage as a "final straw" and never come back to the game. How do you get them on your side? Propaganda. Fool them into thinking your way.

You think the NFL cares about us, the hardcore fan? Good one!

Not saying PR isn't his responsibility.

But most people fall for it most of the time. That's why they keep giving verbal VJ's while squeezing the very same people of their hard earned money in every which way!

The only reason they can say the hell with them to the people who figure it out is because there are not very many of them.

The courts did...cant say to hell with them, thankfully for the fans that do get it.

The other day I was watching this thing on the Battle Of Gettysburg and it was Col George Custer leading 400 Michigan Calvary troops against 4000 of Jeb Stuart's crack calvary and held them off and forced them to retreat. They were trying to flank the Union lines at Culp Hill. Pretty impressive. Can you imagine charging a force ten times your strength and winning?

My favorite line from Dennis Miller: "Custer was considered a military genius until five minutes before Little Big Horn".

Not a job I would want

And the owners should be royally pissed at his performance.

My favorite line from Dennis Miller: "Custer was considered a military genius until five minutes before Little Big Horn".

LOL. That's a great line.

History is a bitch.

George Washington lost more battles than he won, but no one gives a damn about that.

Archived