Hey guys lets get into a fight.

SenorGato

I was in Manhattan tonight at a bar and it looked like a scuffle was going to break out and I wondered if I still had (or if I ever really had) the ability to land a punch in another man's face. I concluded that the chances that I could were less than 5%, but I consoled myself with the thought that, given all the fights I've seen in my life, that's about the national average. Only boxers can really punch people effectively. It's a skill, like hitting a golf ball. So few people can do it well and the rest of us are absolute hacks.

I wondered if I still had (or if I ever really had) the ability to land a punch in another man's face. I concluded that the chances that I could were less than 5%, but I consoled myself with the thought that, given all the fights I've seen in my life, that's about the national average.

If the other guy is wearing a Steelers jersey, your chances drop to 0%.

I was in Manhattan tonight at a bar and it looked like a scuffle was going to break out and I wondered if I still had (or if I ever really had) the ability to land a punch in another man's face. I concluded that the chances that I could were less than 5%, but I consoled myself with the thought that, given all the fights I've seen in my life, that's about the national average. Only boxers can really punch people effectively. It's a skill, like hitting a golf ball. So few people can do it well and the rest of us are absolute hacks.

It really is harder than people imagine. That is why Bruce Lee critisized traditional martial arts as having so much wasted motion when the essence of winning a fight is punching the other guy in the face accurately, fast and with maximum force. This is the underlying principal of the style he created, Jeet Kune Do. And he borrowed more from western boxing, and believe it or not, fencing, to create JKD than the Kung Fu style he was formally trained in - Wing Chun.

It really is harder than people imagine. That is why Bruce Lee critisized traditional martial arts as having so much wasted motion when the essence of winning a fight is punching the other guy in the face accurately, fast and with maximum force. This is the underlying principal of the style he created, Jeet Kune Do. And he borrowed more from western boxing, and believe it or not, fencing, to create JKD than the Kung Fu style he was formally trained in - Wing Chun.

Put the other guy on the ground and act like your playing whack-a-mole.

Archived