***Official Draft Day Thread***

JustInFudge

Pretty amusing last-minute draft stuff going on.

1. All these NFL coaches and draft gurus talking about how much they love Cam Newton's ability...but wouldn't draft him because they're not sure he can, ahem, "handle a playbook."

2. Mallett supposedly blew off his Carolina interview because he was allegedly hung over.

3. Christian Ponder looks like a lock first, now drawing comparisons to Mark Sanchez.

4. Mayock has Jabaal Sheard climbing up into the twenties.

5. Jimmy Smith failed three drug tests, including one for codeine. Brutal.

ahh. so one player is stupid, one a drunk, and one likes suckin down sizzurup. Foot ball is so full of positive role models. They should be rewarded with millions of dollars.

I swear, if I hadn't been indoctrinated into fandom so early, common sense would tell me that this professional sports thing is so not worth my time. That being said, Mangini-style personnel decisions, while admirable, don't work a lick if you're trying to build a winner.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one was proved false about a week ago and is just a giant example of how the rumor machine rolls around draft time. Mallet met with Carolina for a dinner with plans for a breakfast meeting and a workout the next day. He ended up being sick all night and morning and after the breakfast meeting both sides decided he wouldn't be able to work out considering.

The rumor implied that his illness was the result of being out partying the night before. Who knows?

I'd be scared as crap taking Cam Newton #1 personally. He's very gifted, but he's definitely a project. Then again, if you need a QB this year, you're kind of boned because of the lockout deal. I hope there's a lot of teams that reach on QBs.

While I don't think there are any sure things at QB I think Dalton, Ponder, and Kapernick are all great prospects, just not for the first half of round one. Whoever takes Newton will be stuck with as big a bust as Jamarcus. As for the giant run on QBs in the first it only helps the Jets.

ahh. so one player is stupid, one a drunk, and one likes suckin down sizzurup. Foot ball is so full of positive role models. They should be rewarded with millions of dollars.

I swear, if I hadn't been indoctrinated into fandom so early, common sense would tell me that this professional sports thing is so not worth my time. That being said, Mangini-style personnel decisions, while admirable, don't work a lick if you're trying to build a winner.

Word. I've always maintained that in order to win a championship, you'd have to have no more and no less than five outright psychopaths on your team. It's good for the dynamic.

The rumor implied that his illness was the result of being out partying the night before. Who knows?

I know the rumor there was a lot of reporting on it afterwards saying he had never left his hotel room that night, its an example of people making assumptions about a player with a troubled past rather then actually doing reporting. I still wouldn't want Mallet but the story is crap.

Pretty amusing last-minute draft stuff going on.

1. All these NFL coaches and draft gurus talking about how much they love Cam Newton's ability...but wouldn't draft him because they're not sure he can, ahem, "handle a playbook."

2. Mallett supposedly blew off his Carolina interview because he was allegedly hung over.

3. Christian Ponder looks like a lock first, now drawing comparisons to Mark Sanchez.

4. Mayock has Jabaal Sheard climbing up into the twenties.

5. Jimmy Smith failed three drug tests, including one for codeine. Brutal.

lol at #2. That's not a good sign with everyone being ultra conservative around draft time.

I'm glad we're not looking for a QB if Christian Ponder is a lock for a first. I don't buy him as anything more than a fringe first round prospect.

Jabaal Sheard has a high motor. If he's a hard worker, I think Rex could get the most out of him. I know we said that about Gholston, but there's only so much you can do with a football player that is/has a pussy.

Ouch at Jimmy Smith. Who does he think he is, Lawrence Taylor?

I'd be scared as crap taking Cam Newton #1 personally. He's very gifted, but he's definitely a project. Then again, if you need a QB this year, you're kind of boned because of the lockout deal. I hope there's a lot of teams that reach on QBs.

When you look at what you have to invest to get a QB with the first overall pick, I don't think, as a GM, I could pull the trigger unless the kid was Peyton Manning. He'd have to be the prototype on the field, and he'd have to be a candidate for sainthood off of it. Otherwise, I'd just sit back and take my chances in the second, third rounds and hope I steal Joe Montana. The NFL website has a pretty good 8-minute video up right now about drafting QB's high--how, statistically speaking, you're forced to draft a QB in Round One even though so many of them bust (argues that Brady, etc. was a huge anomoly.)

Here is my bold prediction for the 2011 draft: The Patriots will trade one of the first round picks. :)

There is some serious rumor going around that the Pats will trade with Cleveland and move to the 6 spot and pick Julio Jones if he's there. This scenario is laughable at best.

I think the Pats with Julio Jones would be frightening, but I agree with you that I can't see Belichick trading up, especially in a draft where you're potentially looking at the last of the huge rookie contracts. I'd be shocked if we don't see at least two teams trade out of first rounders tonight. But, getting Jones for Brady, to go along with Welker and your TE's would be pretty scary.

While I don't think there are any sure things at QB I think Dalton, Ponder, and Kapernick are all great prospects, just not for the first half of round one. Whoever takes Newton will be stuck with as big a bust as Jamarcus. As for the giant run on QBs in the first it only helps the Jets.

I'm with you, I think. If I'm taking a shot with any of these QB's, it would be with Mallett--but not before the second round. He's either going to be a huge star or he's going to die of THC poisoning within two weeks of getting his first check.

Rumors swirling that the dolphins will select Colin kaeprknick with the 15th pick......awful.

I actually think thats a great pick for them. Kaperknick imo is one of the better prospects of the draft and the dolphins desperately need a QB. While you would like to get him later then that in this draft with a huge amount of teams need QBs you could do worse. I'd be much happier as a Jets fan if they picked Mallet or Gabbert.

Rumors swirling that the dolphins will select Colin kaeprknick with the 15th pick......awful.

It doesn't matter. This is your year, in a nutshell:

The Scene: Dolphins OTA's, the doors to the facility open and out walks Tony Sparano to greet a group of players

Sparano: What's up guys!?

Dolphins Player: (perplexed) Where's Harbaugh?

It doesn't matter. This is your year, in a nutshell:

The Scene: Dolphins OTA's, the doors to the facility open and out walks Tony Sparano to greet a group of players

Sparano: What's up guys!?

Dolphins Player: (perplexed) Where's Harbaugh?

lol on sports talk radio this morning a caller ask the host "what are the fins going to do with the 15th overall pick?" The Radio host said " They are going to dissapoint you" lmao Great stuff on 790 the ticket this morning.

More rumor from the evil team north of East Rutherford:

Pats very high on Robert Quinn - possible trading up to #10 to secure him. Now, I know he was suspended for accepting gifts from an agent (big whoop...same with Cam, big whoop)but what scares me is that he has a benign tumor that needs to be monitored? No thanks to that.

Pats very high on Robert Quinn - possible trading up to #10 to secure him. Now, I know he was suspended for accepting gifts from an agent (big whoop...same with Cam, big whoop)but what scares me is that he has a benign tumor that needs to be monitored? No thanks to that.

This is a NYJETS message board...I dont give a sh*t who the Patriots pick...go to a message board of the Patriots to discuss this. Thank You

If NFL doctors completely went over him and it hasn't stopped any team from considering him a top 10 pick I wouldn't be too worried.

This is a NYJETS message board...I dont give a sh*t who the Patriots pick...go to a message board of the Patriots to discuss this. Thank You

"Official Draft Day Thread"

I am discussing rumors that I hear about a team in the same division as yours.

But, okay....bye....hope the Jets draft sucks. ;)

All the more reason you shouldnt be here. You always hope anything NYJETS sucks. See yaaaaaaaaa

All the more reason you shouldnt be here. You always hope anything NYJETS sucks. See yaaaaaaaaa

Seriously dude? Garb's added more to the thread so far then you, stop being a prick. It's not like the post was talking sh*t about the Jets in any way, if all you expect to talk about is the Jets you are going to be bored as sh*t for 4 hours of the draft tonight.

So much bitterness, and no sense of humor... I would trade 10 of you for a PatsFanTX on this site.

Seriously dude? Garb's added more to the thread so far then you, stop being a prick. It's not like the post was talking sh*t about the Jets in any way, if all you expect to talk about is the Jets you are going to be bored as sh*t for 4 hours of the draft tonight.

Meh, she's lame.

If you consider New England draft info of importance...then I seriously question your allegiance to this team.

The JETS will trade down.

Rex will say afterwards that he had a hissy fit when they traded down.

Tanny will still get his man in early 2nd round.

Woody will tweet who they are picking.

Rex would be happy about the pick.

If the player drafted is a Pro Bowler, Rex will pretend to be his father figure.

If the player in a bust, Rex's book in 4 years will have choice words on his inability.

Thursday Night Draft sucks. Give me the first three rounds on Saturday back. Thank you.

It's tough for me to say, because Henne seems to always play his best when he plays the Jets. It's a worthwhile search to find "the guy" at QB, but I just think your team has other needs.

Hearing very good things about Kaepernick, though. I think I might be happier if you were happy if/when they passed on him.

I'd be shocked if the Pats traded up for anyone. I'd expect them to be trading out of 2011 all together in an effort to collect picks for the rookie salary capped 2012 draft.

There are rumors about them trading out of their second #1 to a QB hungry team (like the Jets and their #1, too), but I don't know if I see that with the four teams picking after them all pretty set at QB (maybe five, if Carolina takes Cam). The only way that makes sense if if the team wants to sign said QB to a five year deal - which I guess could be.

If you consider New England draft info of importance...then I seriously question your allegiance to this team.

Considering they pick twice before us it is important, and considering they are rivals again it is important to see who they end up taking and we will be playing against in the future. I root for the Jets but I like football and I like the draft as a whole. If all you care about in the draft is the Jets this must be a very boring couple of days for you considering how little picks we have made the last few years.

Is this like when Belichick was dying to draft Dewayne Robertson?

Why are you talking about Belicheck? He's not on the Jets. And Quoting Garb? She's not a Jets fan. I'm seriously starting to doubt your loyalty to this franchise.

Tomshane TX

***HUGE REVEAL***

I'm actually Tom Brady. Commence smelling my fingers. And hair.

Archived