New York Jets select DT Muhammad Wilkerson

JetNation

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sometimes it becomes toxic and they do anything possible to make sure he fails. Why is it in Shaun Ellis' best interest to help Wilkerson put him out of a job?

I don't think Ellis has a poor attitude like that. The team comes first. You have to be realistic and understand that you can't play the game forever. It's not about job competition, it's about retirement. Ellis only has another year or 2 left in him at best, so it makes sense to teach the younger guys. Why wouldn't you want your team to be better? Wouldn't feel nice to retire knowing that you helped create someone in your image that excels and helped your former team win? What if Ellis helps him, learn the game well and he helps the Jets win the superbowl next year? It's win win for both players. Anybody that would purposely misguide a player to fail because of his own selfish ambitions to play longer despite the fact that he's slowing down, has does not belong on any team I'd root for. That is piss poor attitude not grounded in reality.

kate_upton_twitter_pictures.jpg

Colour me validated!

Yo T0mShane, I'm really happy for ya, I'mma let you finish, but this is the best carefully-edited highlight reel:

I'm happy now. At the very least, he looks like he won't suck.

I don't think Ellis has a poor attitude like that. The team comes first. You have to be realistic and understand that you can't play the game forever. It's not about job competition, it's about retirement. Ellis only has another year or 2 left in him at best, so it makes sense to teach the younger guys. Why wouldn't you want your team to be better? Wouldn't feel nice to retire knowing that you helped create someone in your image that excels and helped your former team win? What if Ellis helps him, learn the game well and he helps the Jets win the superbowl next year? It's win win for both players. Anybody that would purposely misguide a player to fail because of his own selfish ambitions to play longer despite the fact that he's slowing down, has does not belong on any team I'd root for. That is piss poor attitude not grounded in reality.

This^

Ellis has been a good soldier ever since he's been here, despite many opportunities to complain. Herm basically stole years off of his career by making bulk up to move to DT, then he had to turn around and move back to DE. He plays hard and plays hurt. Remember when he was getting IV's vs. Pittsburgh in that playoff game while John Abraham sat out? This past year, he asked for a contract extension and they told him to f*ck off and he still showed up and played hard. I don't think it's fair to question his commitment to team at all.

With his shoulder? Couldn't take the risk. Get him within a hundred miles of the city and the Yankees try to steal him.

Heh. A medical issue makes sense, unless that was purely facetious. Wilkerson fits our scheme better and has more upside, but I think Heyward's a much lower-risk pick and their respective stock had been going in opposite directions of late, so not bringing him in at all never made sense to me.

Heh. A medical issue makes sense, unless that was purely facetious. Wilkerson fits our scheme better and has more upside, but I think Heyward's a much lower-risk pick and their respective stock had been going in opposite directions of late, so not bringing him in at all never made sense to me.

I dunno. I'd have thought Heyward would be the perfect fit, but he's got the bum wing and he's kind of a dick, so those would be the places I'd look as to why not.

Ellis has been a good soldier ever since he's been here, despite many opportunities to complain. Herm basically stole years off of his career by making bulk up to move to DT, then he had to turn around and move back to DE. He plays hard and plays hurt. Remember when he was getting IV's vs. Pittsburgh in that playoff game while John Abraham sat out? This past year, he asked for a contract extension and they told him to f*ck off and he still showed up and played hard. I don't think it's fair to question his commitment to team at all.

That is totally true about Ellis. Through all the changes that have gone on since he came here he has never said a word. Last year I know for a fact that he thought there was a good possibility that he would not be back with the team and wasnt even sure if he would continue on or not in the NFL. He had no hard feelings about it, he just knew thats the way the business is. All he wanted was one more shot at NE and to beat them, which he and the team did. Even though they didnt make the SB Im happy for him that he got that one last wish as a Jet.

love the pick !!!!

what jumped out at me during the highlights was his agility

a big mofo with athletic ability

as parcells used to say, there just aren't a lot of those guys on the planet, so you gotta go get 'em

Good points about them as well. The staff is very high on Dixon aren't they? I know they were high on Pitoitua but we'll have to see how well he comes back from the injury. If Pitoitua and Wilkerson can contribute this year that would be a pretty stout DL.

I believe they're high on Dixon and I know they talked up Pitoitua a bunch during Hard Knocks. Bit pointed out in another thread that they had MTV active for the AFCCG this past season, so that's pretty telling about what they think of him. And they pulled Gilbert onto the active roster after getting a heads up that another team was going to sign him from the PS, so they're definitely a fan of his as well. Probably wouldn't hurt to add another NT, but if those young guys play as well as expected as long as somebody steps up to start the DL should have a pretty good group of young rotational players. Just have to figure out who the long-term answer is on the nose really, hopefully DeVito and Wilkerson are starting at end for the foreseeable future.

I believe they're high on Dixon and I know they talked up Pitoitua a bunch during Hard Knocks. Bit pointed out in another thread that they had MTV active for the AFCCG this past season, so that's pretty telling about what they think of him. And they pulled Gilbert onto the active roster after getting a heads up that another team was going to sign him from the PS, so they're definitely a fan of his as well. Probably wouldn't hurt to add another NT, but if those young guys play as well as expected as long as somebody steps up to start the DL should have a pretty good group of young rotational players. Just have to figure out who the long-term answer is on the nose really, hopefully DeVito and Wilkerson are starting at end for the foreseeable future.

I think NT is something were gonna address at some point this draft.

Archived