Newton Prediction..

drago

He's won on every level he's played, if he isnt a winner or doesnt have a winning pedigree then I dont know who does. Granted you may not like the guy because of character issues but lets be serious here, he dominated the most difficult conference in the NCAA

So did Vince Young, so did JaMarcus Russell, so did Colt McCoy, so did Eric Crouch....I can go on and on. The bottom line what can win in college will not in the NFL. If it could then we'd be seeing a ton of option offenses in the NFL. A QB must be meticulously accurate, have very good footwork, a mastery of the playbook, a mastery of reading and recognizing defenses, and a strong arm. Those are the "meat and potatoes" of being an NFL QB. Anything beyond that like size, speed, strength, etc... is just gravy. Right now Newton has the gravy, but he severely lacks in the meat and potatoes.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying if he's going to be a bust or not, but no one can predict how any prospect is going to turn out. As it stands, Newton won the Heisman and the national championship, so he deserves to be #1. I don't care what any of the "experts" say, the numbers don't lie. You can't use past history (Tebow, Young) to predict what Cam's will be. It will be whatever it is, but we don't have foresight, as I do.

Yes, because winning the Heisman and the National Championship means nothing... :rolleyes:

They really don't.

The vast majority of QBs who won the Heisman sucked at the next level.

Only three QBs have led both their college teams and their pro teams to championships - Sammy Baugh, Joe Namath and Joe Montana.

Based on that, I'd avoid Heisman and National Championship winning QBs like the plague. If a guy won both? I don't want anything to do with him.

They really don't.

The vast majority of QBs who won the Heisman sucked at the next level.

Only three QBs have led both their college teams and their pro teams to championships - Sammy Baugh, Joe Namath and Joe Montana.

Based on that, I'd avoid Heisman and National Championship winning QBs like the plague. If a guy won both? I don't want anything to do with him.

Yeah, but why avoid him because past players had that history? Just because most Heisman-winning QBs don't do anything doesn't mean Cam won't. Every player is different, and we don't have foresight. It's a crapshoot.

Yeah, but why avoid him because past players had that history? Just because most Heisman-winning QBs don't do anything doesn't mean Cam won't. Every player is different, and we don't have foresight. It's a crapshoot.

If it's a crapshoot, is it really worth your 1st overall pick on it? You either look retarded or genius then. Why didn't they use the pick on a surefire player like Miller? Why waste it on the one position with more flops then studs.

you guys need to define "suck" Tim Tebow broke the record for jerseys sold by a rookie. To a cheap a$$ owner like Richardson if Newton can sell jerseys like Tebow that doesn't suck.

don't forget there are 31 losers every year and 1 winner it's alot easier to build an entertaining product than it is to put all your eggs in the "winning" basket.

put it another way my firm has 76ers tickets. the sixers suck no one goes to the games to see Igudala. But when Lebron James comes to town everyone wants to go. Cam Newton is a guy to go see. Period. He's a star, he's got a huge name recognition and i guaruntee you there are little kids in SEC country playing backyard football and pretending to be Cam newton. No child runs around their backyard pretending to be marcell dareus and get subbed out on 3rd and long.

So did Vince Young, so did JaMarcus Russell, so did Colt McCoy, so did Eric Crouch....I can go on and on. The bottom line what can win in college will not in the NFL. If it could then we'd be seeing a ton of option offenses in the NFL. A QB must be meticulously accurate, have very good footwork, a mastery of the playbook, a mastery of reading and recognizing defenses, and a strong arm. Those are the "meat and potatoes" of being an NFL QB. Anything beyond that like size, speed, strength, etc... is just gravy. Right now Newton has the gravy, but he severely lacks in the meat and potatoes.

Vince Young has a winning record with the Titans, his problem is that he's a lazy headcase.

The point is it doesn't mean sh*t one way or the other. You were the one just touting him because of his Heisman and National Championship, but the point is that has absolutely nothing to do with how good or bad of an NFL QB he will be. Many of the greatest of college QBs have become garbage NFL QBs while a guy like Tom Brady who spent his college career battling with Drew freakin' Henson goes onto a HOF NFL career.

While I'm certainly no scout, what I see is an even less refined passer version of Vince Young. And even Young only went as high as #3 because of a disgustingly dominant Rose Bowl performance. Bottom line though, is he's going to help the Carolina Panthers sell tickets better than anyone else in the draft would have. From a football standpoint, who the hell knows how it will work out, but at least short term it will probably be a good business move.

you guys need to define "suck" Tim Tebow broke the record for jerseys sold by a rookie. To a cheap a$$ owner like Richardson if Newton can sell jerseys like Tebow that doesn't suck.

don't forget there are 31 losers every year and 1 winner it's alot easier to build an entertaining product than it is to put all your eggs in the "winning" basket.

put it another way my firm has 76ers tickets. the sixers suck no one goes to the games to see Igudala. But when Lebron James comes to town everyone wants to go. Cam Newton is a guy to go see. Period. He's a star, he's got a huge name recognition and i guaruntee you there are little kids in SEC country playing backyard football and pretending to be Cam newton. No child runs around their backyard pretending to be marcell dareus and get subbed out on 3rd and long.

Holy sh*t, this may be the worst argument I've ever seen. Who gives a **** how many jerseys he sold? That record was broken before he even took a single snap in practice. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he sucks as an NFL player. Like I said in my last post, it might make it a good business decision, but that doesn't make the player any good. Come on man, that's just beyond weak.

you guys need to define "suck" Tim Tebow broke the record for jerseys sold by a rookie. To a cheap a$$ owner like Richardson if Newton can sell jerseys like Tebow that doesn't suck. don't forget there are 31 losers every year and 1 winner it's alot easier to build an entertaining product than it is to put all your eggs in the "winning" basket.

Really? Jersey sales? C'mon bit.

Holy sh*t, this may be the worst argument I've ever seen. Who gives a **** how many jerseys he sold? That record was broken before he even took a single snap in practice. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he sucks as an NFL player. Like I said in my last post, it might make it a good business decision, but that doesn't make the player any good. Come on man, that's just beyond weak.

the NFL is a business and it's entertainment. this isn't war. It's not as serious as we believe it to be. It's regular folk watching great athletes do extraordinary feats... for fun. Cam Newton is a great athlete.

He might succeed, he might fail. but either way we will pay attention.

You might think it's weak sauce but Cam Newton is a star and the league needs stars. no one is buying Teal panthers jerseys. they might now. it's all about bucks.

they can't just sit around, suck and wait for Andrew Luck, it's not a viable strategy. in 2009 the Panthers had a playoff bye things turn around the league fast.

Vince Young has a winning record with the Titans, his problem is that he's a lazy headcase.

He also had a horrible QB rating and a hell of a defense helping him out. He's just not a very good QB. Someone did mention Newton or Tebow, and I would take Newton everyday of the week over Tebow.

While he clearly tripped up alot in that interview, no doubt, I do not think Cam Newton is an unintelligent man. I just don't get that impression from the times I have seen him speak. He's definitely a little "slick" for lack of a better description, but not stupid. I do think if he truly put his time in and worked hard he could overcome the terminology and understanding issues. I don't think "stupidity" will drive him out of the league, I think the lack of the basic fundamentals will.

I hate to agree with Biff but there's a lot of truth to this. I remember way back in the day when the Bullets gave Juwon Howard the NBA's first $100 million contract. People were going bonkers, and I'll never forget John Saunders commenting on the deal and putting it perfectly. The only time it's worth putting that type of investment in to a player, in any sport, is if they win you championships or sell jerseys and seats. Newton's at least guaranteeing them the latter for the next several seasons. sh*t man, look how long it took for Tennessee fans to stop buying Vince Young crap. Tebow's 5th in the league and he's still not even the starter.

While he clearly tripped up alot in that interview, no doubt, I do not think Cam Newton is an unintelligent man. I just don't get that impression from the times I have seen him speak. He's definitely a little "slick" for lack of a better description, but not stupid. I do think if he truly put his time in and worked hard he could overcome the terminology and understanding issues. I don't think "stupidity" will drive him out of the league, I think the lack of the basic fundamentals will.

Isn't lack of basic fundamentals what destroyed Russell, Young, and Leafs chances? Just to name a few.

Isn't lack of basic fundamentals what destroyed Russell, Young, and Leafs chances? Just to name a few.

That and more accurately a lack of effort. Russell spent more time on the Sizzurp than he did reading a playbook. Young was never known for paying much attention to the details, and Leaf actually had the fundamentals, he just lacked the sanity. I'm just saying if Newton puts in the EFFORT, then I think he has the brains and physical skills to become a decent NFL QB. Compared to Tebow, I just don't feel Tebow has the arm to handle all the throws he will need to make. He's Chad Pennington if Pennington were made of anything but glass.

suck (s k) v. sucked, suck·ing, sucks. Getting picked number 6 overall, signing a 50 million dollar contract, not getting one sack and being cut from your team in 3 years.

I haven't seen Newton play, and normally I wouldn't comment on this. But if everyone agrees that this Newton fellow is big, fast and can't pass, a name from the distant past pops into my cranium:

Bobby Douglass.

And believe it or not, Douglass had his supporters before Chicago wised up.

He won't be worse than JaMarcus Russell.

He will not be good, though. He's more about style than substance. That will get you by in college, but it won't do the trick in the NFL. Ask Vince Young and pre-prison Michael Vick.

suck (s k) v. sucked, suck·ing, sucks. Getting picked number 6 overall, signing a 50 million dollar contract, not getting one sack and being cut from your team in 3 years.

Vince Young won the rookie of the year.

If we ask any coach in the league, blindly, Coach you could have your 1st draft pick be rookie of the year and know nothing else about who it is and how long they lasted... I bet all 32 HC would take that offer.

I don't care if he spontaneously combusts in 3 years it's a good draft pick compared to what most guys produce in the league. Most guys don't even last 3 years. Very few impact the game for 1 year.

Cam Newton is obviously not Payton Manning but there's alot of ground to cover between 10 year all-pro and suck. pre-prison Vick was an electrifying player. Pre-meltdown VY won 6 games in a row and still has a winning record. This is suck?

Yes, because winning the Heisman and the National Championship means nothing... :rolleyes:

I suppose you're right. That's why troy smith, reggie bush, matt leinhart, jason white, carson palmer, eric crouch, chris wienke, ran dayne, danny weurful, rashan salaam and charlie ward all lit it up in the NFL.

There is nothing about Newton that says he will even be a compitent player in the NFL. Honestly, i will be laughing so hard when the panthers need to throw to win a game and have Netwon calling out play 36!! 36!!!...just like his days at Auburn...lol

• 5 months later...

They will "care" for about three games and then it will just become watching a car wreck. Did you watch that Gruden interview with him? The kid literally called plays at Auburn by number. Good luck trying to teach him a playbook, and good luck to him if he thinks he's running away from NFL LB's. Add to that he looks to be a sheltered, entitled, whackjob who likes to blame his "struggles" on the Will of God, and there you go. The dude, btw, actually said he was taking a vacation after the draft. Not running over to the Panthers facility on Monday, NOT looking to get settled so he can focus on football, but going on vacation. That's Ryan Leaf-type sh*t there.

I'm only doing this because everyone hates the threads you've started this week.

I knew Cam Newton would be good, one of the reasons why I drafted him during my JN Eff Tom Brady fantasy league, but I didn't think he'd put up these types of numbers. Cam Newton finally got the QB start over Mark Sanchez for my fantasy team today, and I don't think I'm turning back. Newton it is. Put up 44.83 points today and my team is on the verge of going 5-0. But yeah, I've never seen a rookie QB dominate like Newton has.

Archived