What would you do in this case?

Blackout

Me and my buddy were out shooting hoops before the CEltics game and we noticed a wallet on the ground with 20 dollars in it (plus a license, CC's etc.)

we chose to leave it there because I told my friend i'm sure the guy would be back around to get it

now since that I've started thinking....why the hell didn't we take the 20 bucks and go cop a bottle of some fine alcohol? it's not our fault some idiot left his wallet outside

am I wrong to think this way or is it a dog-eat-dog world??

If you need $20 that badly I feel sorry for you. The owner may have given you a reward or something.

the owner (according to his ID) does not live in our city (Bangor) so that's why we chose not to take it anywhere.

As for the 20 bucks....we didnt' need it "Badly' at all....but both of us are college grads on debt. that 20 bucks could have got us drunk! :)

Once found $40 bucks someone left behind at a Self-Checkout at the A&P. Just sitting there. I imagined that a person who would be getting cash back at the self checkout at the A&P was probably not uber-rich, so I decided to wait for a few, see if they came back to check. I had visions of a little old lady, or a frazzled mom with a bunch of screaming kids, so I kept waiting...for a half hour...then and hour. Waited an hour and forty minutes there, waiting. Finally, I left. Person never came back. Se la vie. Personally, whenever I lose money, I imagine it ending up in the hands of someone who needed it more than me. Takes the sting out of it.

Me and my buddy were out shooting hoops before the CEltics game and we noticed a wallet on the ground with 20 dollars in it (plus a license, CC's etc.)

we chose to leave it there because I told my friend i'm sure the guy would be back around to get it

now since that I've started thinking....why the hell didn't we take the 20 bucks and go cop a bottle of some fine alcohol? it's not our fault some idiot left his wallet outside

am I wrong to think this way or is it a dog-eat-dog world??

Pick it up, stick the ID/CC/Etc. in an Envelope, and mail these vitals back (anonymously) to the guy/gal.

Keep the $20 for postage and labor.

Everyone wins.

Being on the opposite end of that situation quite recently, unless I'm in a hurry I'm chilling in that spot with the wallet for a little bit to see if the guy comes back. If not, quick search on my iPhone to see if his number's listed, and if he's not then I'm putting it in the mail. Man to man, there's nothing worse on this earth from an annoyance standpoint than losing your wallet. And with identity theft being what it is these days, it's nerve wracking beyond belief. It's basic guy code. Get the man's wallet back to him. Sooner or later it's going to happen to you and you'll be damn thankful if the guy who finds it is man enough to get it back to you. Doesn't matter to me if I get the $20 back, or even if it's $200. It's just money, but the peace of mind I'll get from just knowing it's not out there is priceless.

If you have a way to return it, you sure should if you have a way to mail it back to the person or deliver it personally or via a cop.

I have found wallet's on 2 occasions. Both when i was student in India.

First time i found the wallet, it had a decent amount of money but a way to get hold of the owner. He was in the same city i went to school in. So I returned it to him intact as i found it. He was a guy with a family and the money meant quite a lot to him. He offered me a reward and i declined it. But i got quite a few dinner invitations to their place to have some delicious home made food.

Second time around almost couple of years after the first incident, i found another wallet. More like a women's wallet that does not fold. I just boarded an interstate bus which was coming from another city and going to my final destination. I sat on this seat and immediately felt something under my right foot. It was a thick a$$ rich looking wallet. I picked it up took a quick peek. It was too much money and i did not want to count it in public. I looked at the seats in front of me and behind me and both were empty. No one was sitting next to me. So i put it in my backpack. I was sure someone would miss that amount of money quick and come looking for it. The bus halt was like 10 minutes more after i found it. No one came looking for it. My and buses final destination was 40 minutes down in the next city's main bus station. I was expecting someone might catch up to the bus and come looking for it. No one did. I waited almost an hour by the stand where the bus dropped me hoping someone would come looking for it. No one did. It was getting a little past midnight so i finally left. I went to my dorm room and opened the wallet. All it had was money. And quite a bit of it. No address, no license, no ID card. There was not even a scrap of paper in there. Just money. Needless to say there was no option to find the owner.

No. You take it and you throw it in the garbage. Don't you think this person needs to learn a lesson? You have to show them the light. You have to show them that they are controlled by their wallet and their desire for worldly things. Material possessions control us and they shouldn't I can't believe you all don't see this. This is how I live my life and I am happier and better than all of you. You should show this cat that money and identity mean nothing and this would be a good thing for him.

/villan_the_foe'd

No. You take it and you throw it in the garbage. Don't you think this person needs to learn a lesson? You have to show them the light. You have to show them that they are controlled by their wallet and their desire for worldly things. Material possessions control us and they shouldn't I can't believe you all don't see this. This is how I live my life and I am happier and better than all of you. You should show this cat that money and identity mean nothing and this would be a good thing for him.

/villan_the_foe'd

Awesome.

Leave the wallet, take the canole.

... hahahahaha ... well played! ...

... i'd def not do what you did ...

... if you're going to be a good sammaritan (sp?) take it to the cops & try to contact him ...

... if you're going to be a dirtbag take the money & toss the wallet in the garbage ...

... instead ... you just let the next dirtbag come by and get it! ...

l_j_r

the owner (according to his ID) does not live in our city (Bangor) so that's why we chose not to take it anywhere.

As for the 20 bucks....we didnt' need it "Badly' at all....but both of us are college grads on debt. that 20 bucks could have got us drunk! :)

With this grammar, maybe you should ask for a refund from that college ;)

Archived