Rex: Wilkerson Only Rookie to receive Playbook

flgreen

NFL Lockout: Jets coach Rex Ryan says DT Muhammad Wilkerson only rookie to receive playbook

Published: Wednesday, May 04, 2011, 5:30 AM

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

NEW YORK — For Rex Ryan, there was only time to hand out one new Jets playbook during the on-again, off-again, on-again NFL lockout.

When first-round pick and Linden native Muhammad Wilkerson came to the team’s facility in Florham Park on Friday to meet the media and take photos, he and Ryan were able to talk, albeit briefly.

All the other new additions were welcomed with a quick phone call, then set loose again as the court reinstated the lockout rules.

“It was different. He came to visit and I was able to meet his family and I was able to meet him again,” Ryan said after his first book-signing in New York City yesterday. “And I just talked to him for a few minutes but I wasn’t able to talk to the other draft picks (in person).

“(Wilkerson) got a playbook. He was the only one who got a playbook.”

But Ryan said even then, the gesture of handing over the intricacies of his signature defense are almost meaningless. Without a position coach around to explain it, there won’t be that much of an advantage. Ryan said that while he is making the most of coaching during a lockout, nothing replaces face-to-face interaction.

“It’s funny because sometimes you can have a playbook in front of you, but without the teacher going over it, it would be like anything else, learning math or something without being in a classroom. So sometimes young guys are struggling with just seeing it on paper,” Ryan said after signing copies of his new book, “Play Like You Mean It.”

The lone exception to that philosophy, Ryan said, was seventh-round pick Greg McElroy, a quarterback out of Alabama. If anyone could get a playbook and then get cut loose for a few weeks, Ryan said, he would be the one to digest it.

“Our quarterback we got is so smart it’s not even going to matter,” Ryan said of McElroy. “Did you see the interview? I was like, ‘Oh my goodness,’ I guess we know who’s going to be standing in front and talking all the time.”

Instead, the focus will go into improvements within his own staff. On Monday at a reporters’ roundtable at a New York publishing house, Ryan said that, aside from studying to better prepare the team’s red-zone offense and defense, he began the process of bringing in consultants with whom to bounce off ideas.

“We’re bringing people in, we’ve already brought in (former Colts senior offensive coordinator) Tom Moore. He was out consulting with us for a couple days,” Ryan said. “We’re going to bring in some other great coaches who just want to talk about football.”

All in the hopes that once players can return, they won’t miss a beat.

“Like I said, we’re going to be fine, though.”

Zach Berman contributed to this report.

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Yeah, I was going to ask that--can't a player already on the team just send out copies? Why does Sanchez have to use his own prepared stuff and not just give them all his copy of the playbook, or even last year's edition? (Assuming they update and revise it, lol)

Yeah, I was going to ask that--can't a player already on the team just send out copies? Why does Sanchez have to use his own prepared stuff and not just give them all his copy of the playbook, or even last year's edition? (Assuming they update and revise it, lol)

Do we really want to provide our good friend Roger with any more ammunition to use against the team? It's not like our cup runneth over with draft picks to begin with :)

The articles on Jets West said Sanchez had downloaded plays on to his lap top, and put together playbooks for the people there, so I don’t think it in violation of anything.

Hopefully.

But if teams are not allowed to communicate with players during the lockout, it seems like it might be cutting the line a little fine. But I can't imagine there would be a problem if Sanchez were working with last year's plays for example...

Hopefully.

But if teams are not allowed to communicate with players during the lockout, it seems like it might be cutting the line a little fine. But I can't imagine there would be a problem if Sanchez were working with last year's plays for example...

We will find out shortly.

I wouldn’t think there will be. This isn’t a communication between the FO and the players. This is, as far as the league is concerned, a bunch of friends getting together, playing some touch football, and drinking beer. League can’t say much about that.

Other teams are doing it also. Including the Giants. One of the major advantages of retaining OC’s, or replacing departed OC’s with in house people, is that there isn’t a whole new playbook, and language to learn. Every offseason changes are made but they are relativity minor. Tweaking formations, or plays to fit skills. The language, and the basic concept remains the same.

Teams that have new HC’s, OC’s or new QB’s are going to have a real problem this season.

While I do not belive there is anything from a legal standpoint that would prohibit the e-mailing of the playbook that would be bad for the jets. One it could be shared with veterans some of whom are Free agents. Once it is in electronic form it could never truly be recovered should an player go to another team. So while it is not illegal, I hope it does not happen.

While I do not belive there is anything from a legal standpoint that would prohibit the e-mailing of the playbook that would be bad for the jets. One it could be shared with veterans some of whom are Free agents. Once it is in electronic form it could never truly be recovered should an player go to another team. So while it is not illegal, I hope it does not happen.

It would be last year’s play book. The new offense hasn’t been installed. Any departing player would already have a copy of it.

It would mostly be for the rookies. Every OC/DC almost talks a different language. Tough enough on the rookies. The UDFA's are really screwed this year. Really don't have a chance. They are usually in the Rookie mini camp right now.

If Schotty wasn't our OC it might be a concern, but at this point if there's a single DC in the league so stupid that he doesn't know exactly what the Jets offense is doing and how to stop it, a playbook sure as **** isn't going to help them anyway.

If Schotty wasn't our OC it might be a concern, but at this point if there's a single DC in the league so stupid that he doesn't know exactly what the Jets offense is doing and how to stop it, a playbook sure as **** isn't going to help them anyway.

Good point, what was I thinking....

Once it is in electronic form it could never truly be recovered should an player go to another team.

+1 emailing the playbook is a terrible idea

like rex says without someone to explain it, doesn't really help anyway

I miss this. Zero doubts what you're saying is true. They know everything.

Archived