I canceled the NFL Ticket today

mark6sanchez

Screw the greedy NFL owners locking out the players, their not getting my lousy $300 this year. I might miss a few Jet games since I live near Rochester but that's OK. Im getting tired of the corporate blood suckers always on the sell and caring nothing about the fans. NFL owners you might get some of my money from my base satellite bill but that's all this year corporate pigs and I feel good about it.

I have never understood why people subscribe to these services anyways. It makes no monetary sense and specially if one hates corporate interests so much because this is symbol of their lobbying efforts.

Not so long ago you could subscribe to East Coast channels from anywhere in the country. And then you never needed these extra sports packages. But after some lobbying (read legalized bribing) from the cable companies the Congress approved a law banning that practice. You could not get New York local channels in Denver anymore. Free market be damned. Let's make some money out of this. And incidentally right after that NFL and DirectTV signed this deal for showing out of market games and DirectTV started selling this package. And once again the average Joe was taken for a ride by corporate America!

And nowadays the fee for this package has gone up to an extent where it makes no economic sense to subscribe to it. I end up going to a sports bar that a block away from where i live. With all the nationally televised games and games that make it to local channels I only need access to 10-11 games. So yes I do end up spending approx 300-400 dollars the entire season for my JETS game trips. But i get food and booze for it. When you subcribe to a package from DirectTV there is no food and booze included.

I have never understood why people subscribe to these services anyways. It makes no monetary sense and specially if one hates corporate interests so much because this is symbol of their lobbying efforts.

Not so long ago you could subscribe to East Coast channels from anywhere in the country. And then you never needed these extra sports packages. But after some lobbying (read legalized bribing) from the cable companies the Congress approved a law banning that practice. You could not get New York local channels in Denver anymore. Free market be damned. Let's make some money out of this. And incidentally right after that NFL and DirectTV signed this deal for showing out of market games and DirectTV started selling this package. And once again the average Joe was taken for a ride by corporate America!

And nowadays the fee for this package has gone up to an extent where it makes no economic sense to subscribe to it. I end up going to a sports bar that a block away from where i live. With all the nationally televised games and games that make it to local channels I only need access to 10-11 games. So yes I do end up spending approx 300-400 dollars the entire season for my JETS game trips. But i get food and booze for it. When you subcribe to a package from DirectTV there is no food and booze included.

I'd much rather watch games in the comfort of my own home and have my own food and beer at much cheaper prices then going out and that is easily worth the $30 or less a game I'm paying to see every Jet game. Not to mention on top of that being able to see any other game that I feel like because I enjoy the NFL as a whole not just the Jets.

All the games available for Fox, CBS, Sunday Night/NBC, Monday night/ESPN, the NFL Network and the byes means there are probably very few games you want to see that aren't available to you anyway. Add in RedZone for $50, and you will see what ever you really want to see anyway. Sunday Ticket has been totally canniblaized as a product by all this.

All the games available for Fox, CBS, Sunday Night/NBC, Monday night/ESPN, the NFL Network and the byes means there are probably very few games you want to see that aren't available to you anyway. Add in RedZone for $50, and you will see what ever you really want to see anyway. Sunday Ticket has been totally canniblaized as a product by all this.

That's 5 games a week out of a possible 16 and very often those games suck, there are many more games I want to see.

That's 5 games a week out of a possible 16 and very often those games suck, there are many more games I want to see.

I have had Sunday Ticket every year since I got DirecTV in the mid-90s. Last year was the first year I canceled and stuck to it. I just wasn't going to pay whatever stupid price they were up to gouging me for...$350 or so. Sadly, they simply priced themselves out of the running for my willingness to pay for premium programming. And despite what you hear, they didn't try all that hard to get me back (as in...no significant price drop). And as a 15+ year customer, I usually get every possible benefit of the doubt with them.

I think DirecTV was so desparate to keep sole control of that programming that they made a really bad deal because I can't imagine them getting anywhere near enough subscribers to make that $1B/year back. I thought I'd miss it more but honestly, there are enough games on to keep me going all season.

I'd much rather watch games in the comfort of my own home and have my own food and beer at much cheaper prices then going out and that is easily worth the $30 or less a game I'm paying to see every Jet game. Not to mention on top of that being able to see any other game that I feel like because I enjoy the NFL as a whole not just the Jets.

:face:

Lets forget about the total cost!

+1

I live in NC and for some years I had NY local channels by using DirecTV with a NY address. This was my way of getting Jets games at home without being gouged by the big corporations (aka NFL Sunday ticket). In September I would sign up for basic DirecTV service and cancel in January.

In 2010 I found online streaming of NFL games for free. Not HD but the price is right. Screw you Corporate America!

Good post. Let's not forget the cops who can pick you up for DWI on the drive home. Depending on your weight, you can have as few as four beers and be over the limit. If you stay home and watch, you don't have to worry about how many you are having, (unless of course you drive somewhere after the game).

Screw the greedy NFL owners locking out the players, their not getting my lousy $300 this year. I might miss a few Jet games since I live near Rochester but that's OK. Im getting tired of the corporate blood suckers always on the sell and caring nothing about the fans. NFL owners you might get some of my money from my base satellite bill but that's all this year corporate pigs and I feel good about it.

As well you should. Even if the owners have already gotten the money for this year, enough cancellations will mean less money offered in the next contract period.

Fact is, the owners won so unequivocally during the last strike that they think they can pull anything and the public will buy it. We'll see.

Archived