ESPN.com

Gainzo

Over the last 18 months or so I've found myself not going to their website to get my football/sports news. I usually hit the local papers websites and then PFT & Sports Illustrated.

Is it just me that doesn't visit the site anymore?

I tried to, but they said I needed an insider password to reach the site.

That is pretty much the way they operate nowadays. It also doesn't help that they shove their properties (MLB, NBA, WNBA, & English Premier League Football) down your throat. Their coverage of the NHL is laughable at best and their espnboston, epsnnewyork, espndallas, etc sites are terrible.

I like ESPN. Some of the stories they do are phenomenal. Both in print and on TV.

They do some excellent stuff on their TV channels, but their website is awful. Here are the top stories on espn.com 5 minutes ago

Odom says he'll start for Artest

Terps want court named for retired Williams

Ballesteros' condition deteriorating, family says

Ailing Uncle Mo ruled out for Kentucky Derby

Steelers' Mendenhall loses apparel sponsor

Vikings' Cook not guilty of brandishing firearm

Baseball wants DUI discipline for players in CBA

Tiger resuming tournament golf at The Players

Kentucky's Knight will stay in draft Video

Retired Favre has interest in coaching, TV work

Hradek: Curtains for Boudreau? Insider

NBA, College BB, Golf, Horse Racing, NFL, NFL, MLB, Golf, Horse Racing, FAVRE, NHL (Insider). FU ESPN.com

I haven't gone there in almost three years. There whole attitude surrounding sports as celebrity watching disgusts me. They really have blurred the line between journalism an covering sports vs sucking off the stars

The LeBron thing last year was atrocious. That wasn't covering a sport it was catering to an athlete.

ESPN as a brand has abandoned their own positioning as the "worldwide leader in sports" and diverted their strategy to becoming the "worldwide leader in sports drama."

Their website is a reflection of poor decisions at the executive level that have steered them towards losing touch with their own brand and mission. Its an un-usable site with a seizure inducing user experience. Not a "smart" site at all.

ESPN as a brand has abandoned their own positioning as the "worldwide leader in sports" and diverted their strategy to becoming the "worldwide leader in sports drama."

Their website is a reflection of poor decisions at the executive level that have steered them towards losing touch with their own brand and mission. Its an un-usable site with a seizure inducing user experience. Not a "smart" site at all.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Would love to see their website stats over the last 3 or 4 years as you know they are going down.

the sad thing about ESPN is that they have so much money that they really can't be challenged by a legitimate sports news channel or organization. It would be so easy to beat them, but the amount of resources that you would need seems almost unfathomable.

There certainly seems to be a great number of people who are disgusted by ESPN.

Really when is the last time they have put together a highlight clip, instead of just panning to another one of their empty suit analysts

I like ESPN's NHL talk when they have Barry Melrose and Barnaby discussing it. I hate how they often have the random sporscenter guy moderating the discussion when he knows nothing about hockey and even admits to that much. Barnaby's the man though, so that often makes up for it.

ESPN spends the lions share of their time promoting their properties (NBA, MLB, NFL, even NASCAR ) with stupid segments like "Coors Lite cold hard facts" and other garbage. Their NHL coverage is a joke, and they should just stop trying. I am very happy about the NHL signing on with NBC, and NBC's plans to turn Versus into a 24 hour sports channel. It will be nice to have some alternative to ESPN. I can't even stand watching a Yankee game on their channel anymore.

the sad thing about ESPN is that they have so much money that they really can't be challenged by a legitimate sports news channel or organization. It would be so easy to beat them, but the amount of resources that you would need seems almost unfathomable.

There certainly seems to be a great number of people who are disgusted by ESPN.

Really when is the last time they have put together a highlight clip, instead of just panning to another one of their empty suit analysts

Its not the money thing. I think its just having an angle that works and is different. You cant beat ESPN by simply trying to be another version of ESPN. You have to be something different. Its like Blockbuster vs NetFlix. Nobody would ever think Blockbuster would be replaced as the number 1 video rental store. NetFlix came in and approached the game from a totally different angle (mail order and later via streaming) and all the money in the world could not save Blockbuster. I try not to watch too much ESPN anymore, but from the bit on see during the football and NBA seasons it hasnt changed much in the last 15 years or so when I was in college. Their shows completely catered to the college crowd. Never ending Sportscenter repeats. Impact highlights. Sports coverage where you could just tune in for a few minutes to some game you did not care about and have funny announcers to hold your interest. Its basically shock TV. The thing is I have to imagine that there are more fans interested in that than the kind of sports programming most people who enjoy talking about the sports themselves (like we do on JN) that are down on ESPN.

Its not the money thing. I think its just having an angle that works and is different. You cant beat ESPN by simply trying to be another version of ESPN. You have to be something different. Its like Blockbuster vs NetFlix. Nobody would ever think Blockbuster would be replaced as the number 1 video rental store. NetFlix came in and approached the game from a totally different angle (mail order and later via streaming) and all the money in the world could not save Blockbuster. I try not to watch too much ESPN anymore, but from the bit on see during the football and NBA seasons it hasnt changed much in the last 15 years or so when I was in college. Their shows completely catered to the college crowd. Never ending Sportscenter repeats. Impact highlights. Sports coverage where you could just tune in for a few minutes to some game you did not care about and have funny announcers to hold your interest. Its basically shock TV. The thing is I have to imagine that there are more fans interested in that than the kind of sports programming most people who enjoy talking about the sports themselves (like we do on JN) that are down on ESPN.

Its hard to argue with that. The thing is that there is too much emphasis made on trying to appeal to a mass audience rather that appealing to a specialized audience. There is definitely an audience that would sit and watch sportscenter the way it used to be. Where highlights told a story to the game, a sort of visual newspaper article, if you will.

The thing is people do want to know the score quickly, but at the end of the day if they missed the game they would like to see more that just one clip( a homerun, a touchdown, or a thunderdunk). They want to know how their team won or lost.

Archived