Cyber Bullying

Jetman_67

I don't let my kids go to a friends house. Everybody hangs out at Crushers crib. They do stuff like play TOILET SEAT horseshoes, bocce, pool, basketball or we grub out watch sports or play a board game. Other people houses suck, my house is about having fun and not doing stuff that makes life suck. I hate the computer for kids, only reason baby Crusher Facebooks cause he keeps up with his football crew and I watch it like a fat hawk. My Butter Bean.

Fixed that for ya buddy :D

11 or 12 is too young. your like ou Jets Nation Jimmy Neutron Boy genius. Kids need to be kids.

Kids should still be forced to go outside and do a bunch of stuff besides playing games and going on Facebook. But if a kid really desires it, I'd find it hard to stop him.

It was kind of easier for me because I have an older brother, so he kind of protected me a bit when it came to what sites to go to. I think that's the reason I'm posting now on JN and not TGG, haha. If a kid were to do something arguably productive or creative on a computer, I wouldn't stop him. I don't know how usual that was, but when I started on the intranets I went to four sites: a photoshop-style site, JN, tutorials on how to make a forum (the one I made looks worse than the original JN lol), and a basketball simulator. Some of the trial-and-error stuff you experience on the internet is educational, even if it's completely un-educational areas.

I don't let my kids go to a friends house. Everybody hangs out at Crushers crib. They do stuff like play horseshoes, bocce, pool, basketball or we grub out watch sports or play a board game. Other people houses suck, my house is about having fun and not doing stuff that makes life suck. I hate the computer for kids, only reason baby Crusher Facebooks cause he keeps up with his football crew and I watch it like a fat hawk. My Butter Bean.

I had a house like that, then I got a divorce. Their mother and I only communicate to exchange death threats. There's only so much watching I've been able to do for the past four years. Sucks, but that's what it is. I was already a liberal parent, and that made me more liberal. Seeing the kids for dinner one night and every other weekend, I wasn't going to make those times all about daddy discipline. Instead I became (or reinforced the fact that I already was) the reasonable parent to whom they could tell anything.

This has been my parenting strategy. I love reading The Crusher Way, but that wouldn't've worked for me. Kids can smell bullsh*t a mile away, and if I tried to be a tough guy parent from the onset, someone would've caught on.

So instead, I have two kids, 16 & 18, who tell me everything. I'm their friend on FB, I have the password to their accounts on the computer in my house, and I really don't think I have to worry about them too much. I know which kids use drugs, which ones are having sex, which one had an abortion, and I know my kids reactions to those kids. Is there stuff they're keeping from me? Probably a little bit. I'd be surprised if there wasn't, frankly. But I think I'm tuned in on the big issues, and they know that they can broach any subject with me without judgment.

That's awesome man and we all do what we do. My 24 year old daughter and I have a similar relationship. When her and her first boyfriend ever broke up she didn't talk to her mom but at the same time she would do the "what the ****" thing with me and I just smiled and accepted the fact I couldn't do sh*t. I did think about whooping his a$$ at one point but I chose to just be their for her and show her she could trust me. It worked out but i did make it clear to him that his life flashed before my eyes couple times. LOL

I had a house like that, then I got a divorce. Their mother and I only communicate to exchange death threats. There's only so much watching I've been able to do for the past four years. Sucks, but that's what it is. I was already a liberal parent, and that made me more liberal. Seeing the kids for dinner one night and every other weekend, I wasn't going to make those times all about daddy discipline. Instead I became (or reinforced the fact that I already was) the reasonable parent to whom they could tell anything.

This IS actually my second chance at it. It';s not easy bro, I respect anyone who can get thru it. bottom line is love them and hope they love themselves. I cherish every moment with my kids. Their was a time when I thought I would not be able to be their when they grew up. It's easy to be thankful.

I know what it's like to be picked on, believe me. I grew up being the shortest kid in my school for the entire time I went to school. You know how many short jokes I've heard and how much bs abuse I've had to go through? That's why this cyber bullying is such bs. It's not real. It's not physical. Try getting shoved around and put down on daily basis just walking between classes in school. I learned to just ignore the bs and not take it personally and I feel its made me a better person today. I'm not saying it's silly for kids to be kids, I'm saying its silly to take an 11 year old to court for something like that, or to teach your kids that popularity is actually important. It's superficial and nothing more.

Evil isn't a strong enough word to describe some of these packs of 12 year old girls.

You're clearly not a parent, and I hope you don't do anything important in regards to child services.

Yes, 12 year old girls are worse than evil. Do you even know what evil means? You're seriously going to say that utter nonsense and then in the same sentence put ME down and claim I know nothing about children? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds. I'm not trying to downplay bullying or anything like that, but yes, parenting matters, and teenage years are incredibly temporary. Just it keeping real. People can't handle reality these days. That's a problem.

I know what it's like to be picked on, believe me. I grew up being the shortest kid in my school for the entire time I went to school. You know how many short jokes I've heard and how much bs abuse I've had to go through? That's why this cyber bullying is such bs. It's not real. It's not physical. Try getting shoved around and put down on daily basis just walking between classes in school. I learned to just ignore the bs and not take it personally and I feel its made me a better person today. I'm not saying it's silly for kids to be kids, I'm saying its silly to take an 11 year old to court for something like that, or to teach your kids that popularity is actually important. It's superficial and nothing more.

Yes, 12 year old girls are worse than evil. Do you even know what evil means? You're seriously going to say that utter nonsense and then in the same sentence put ME down and claim I know nothing about children? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds. I'm not trying to downplay bullying or anything like that, but yes, parenting matters, and teenage years are incredibly temporary. Just it keeping real. People can't handle reality these days. That's a problem.

Take it easy there, shrimp.

You're right there, and not for the reason you may think. Those teenage years end so quickly for some because they just can't handle all the bullying and end the shame by taking their lives. Who teaches their kids that popularity is important? You can comfort the kid about the superficiality of all this, but when everyone he or she knows is giving them strange glances and talking about them behind their back, do you think they care how short this period of their life will be? It's worse than physical bullying because you simply can't escape it. Not only do you perceive people as talking behind your back at school, you expect they're doing the same at home, on the internet, etc, with everyone else at your school. You can't just tell your kid "oh, don't take it personal", because that's their whole life that's being ruined. They don't see the bigger picture because their life's experiences are simply what they get at home and in school. Kids can be evil, oftentimes without realizing it, until the effects have already taken place. And by effects I don't just mean suicide, but other subtle psychological stuff like paranoia, shyness, eating disorders, whatever (not a psychologist, ask EY or something lol) that may take years to fully overcome.

Are you taking cheap shots at one of our new Fun Size posters? You jerk.

Nonsense! I was defending the lil' guy so he could feel free to speak openly about the horrors of being a teenage dwarf in a high school full of mean and vicious giants who made him an outcast.

Im short too and feel your pain brother. But lucky for me I was as wide as I was short so the fat jokes drowned out the short jokes. That would have been ruff.

Nonsense! I was defending the lil' guy so he could feel free to speak openly about the horrors of being a teenage dwarf in a high school full of mean and vicious giants who made him an outcast.

It doesn't sound much like you were defending Thumbelina. Sounds more like you were trying to find roundabout ways of calling the squirt some insulting names like elf or munchkin or gnome or hobbit. You really should think a little bit before you type something and not be so insensitive. Vertically challenged oompa loompas have feelings also.

It doesn't sound much like you were defending Thumbelina. Sounds more like you were trying to find roundabout ways of calling the squirt some insulting names like elf or munchkin or gnome or hobbit. You really should think a little bit before you type something and not be so insensitive. Vertically challenged oompa loompas have feelings also.

I take great offense to the idea that 1) referring to our lilliputian buddy as a "teenage dwarf" would automatically be "insulting" and/or 2) that I would consciously seek to attack our wee friend in the first place. For your information, I think tiny people have much to offer in society (i.e. the circus) despite the fact that their little sausage fingers and suspect DNA patterns render them completely undesireable to the opposite sex. Seriously, where would humanity be without the efforts of Frodo Baggins?

Will you two clowns knock off the small talk and get back to the topic at hand?

I take great offense to the idea that 1) referring to our lilliputian buddy as a "teenage dwarf" would automatically be "insulting" and/or 2) that I would consciously seek to attack our wee friend in the first place. For your information, I think tiny people have much to offer in society (i.e. the circus) despite the fact that their little sausage fingers and suspect DNA patterns render them completely undesireable to the opposite sex. Seriously, where would humanity be without the efforts of Frodo Baggins?

Take offense to it all you want, but I know the truth. While mini-he is nice enough to come here and perform his jester routine for us, even offering to be used in our JN tossing for distance combine, secretly you are consumed with the idea of stealing him away in burlap bag until he gives up his pot of gold. And that's just wrong, Tom. It's wrong.

I don't let my kids go to a friends house. Everybody hangs out at Crushers crib. They do stuff like play horseshoes, bocce, pool, basketball or we grub out watch sports or play a board game. Other people houses suck, my house is about having fun and not doing stuff that makes life suck. I hate the computer for kids, only reason baby Crusher Facebooks cause he keeps up with his football crew and I watch it like a fat hawk. My Butter Bean.

Would a fat hawk actually be good at watching stuff?

:o

Guys I'm seriously about to kill myself. How could you be so cruel and insensitive!!!

it's worse than physical bullying because you simply can't escape it.

That's a load of crap. Turn off the computer and you instantly escape it. Walking around school you can't escape it when the bully comes up to you and starts punching you, throwing your books on the ground, etc etc. Don't tell me that an online popularity contest is more detrimental to a kid's life than physical abuse. That's absolutely false. Ask 10 people if they'd rather be beat up in real life or made fun of on the internet and I think it's obvious what the result will be.

You all think you have it sooooo bad. Try being a Trannie Pats Fan on a Jets Messageboard. Good thing posters here don't know that I am also a Midget Muslim with a Chronic Pot habit. Ooops....now 'yall know. Sniffles. blksuit.jpg

Guys I'm seriously about to kill myself. How could you be so cruel and insensitive!!!

That's a load of crap. Turn off the computer and you instantly escape it. Walking around school you can't escape it when the bully comes up to you and starts punching you, throwing your books on the ground, etc etc. Don't tell me that an online popularity contest is more detrimental to a kid's life than physical abuse. That's absolutely false. Ask 10 people if they'd rather be beat up in real life or made fun of on the internet and I think it's obvious what the result will be.

People yes, kids no. Kids nowadays are so sensitive and stuff. I know my Sweet Baby Crusher is a very sensitive young fella and if someone made fun of him on the computer it would hurt his feelings. As far as him getting beat up I would suggest they log on instead.

You all think you have it sooooo bad. Try being a Trannie Pats Fan on a Jets Messageboard. Good thing posters here don't know that I am also a Midget Muslim with a Chronic Pot habit. Ooops....now 'yall know. Sniffles. blksuit.jpg

All I know is I love me some Chowderella.

You turn off the computer and you've lost all lines of communication with your friends at that age. Sad but true. I'm not necessarily saying what happens on Facebook is worse than physical abuse, but it is more pervasive. I'd say it's directly related to physical bullying at school, but at the same time you have to deal with the emotional and psychological effects of it continuing at home. Both forms of bullying suck, and as they can take on different forms and degrees of pain, it wouldn't be fair to compare one to the other. Kids at that age don't just see it as an online popularity contest--that it is the extent of their social circle, they have no where else to turn if the parents aren't keeping track of it.

You turn off the computer and you've lost all lines of communication with your friends at that age. Sad but true. I'm not necessarily saying what happens on Facebook is worse than physical abuse, but it is more pervasive. I'd say it's directly related to physical bullying at school, but at the same time you have to deal with the emotional and psychological effects of it continuing at home. Both forms of bullying suck, and as they can take on different forms and degrees of pain, it wouldn't be fair to compare one to the other. Kids at that age don't just see it as an online popularity contest--that it is the extent of their social circle, they have no where else to turn if the parents aren't keeping track of it.

We're talking 11 and 12 year olds, though. Whatever happened to picking up the phone and calling your friend? Kids seriously can't communicate without facebook? I find that very hard to believe, especially when they see each other in school. Practically all kids have cell phones now. Kids need to be taught not to invest too much in popularity and taking to heart what other people say or do. If the parent gets angry that a kid's popularity is going down, then the parent is a TERRIBLE parent. If they teach the child that popularity does not matter, and there's no reason they should care what others think, it makes all that "oh what if somone's talking about me right now, because of what xxx said on facebook!!!??" stuff disappear. Parents need to teach their kids that the real world is not a place where everyone is happy and trustworthy. People lie and do bad things. The smart people do their best avoid/ignore them and move on with what matters. The stupid people dwell on it forever and instead of teaching their children, they try to hide them from the reality of the world. PEOPLE ARE NOT NICE.

We're talking 11 and 12 year olds, though. Whatever happened to picking up the phone and calling your friend? Kids seriously can't communicate without facebook? I find that very hard to believe, especially when they see each other in school. Practically all kids have cell phones now. Kids need to be taught not to invest too much in popularity and taking to heart what other people say or do. If the parent gets angry that a kid's popularity is going down, then the parent is a TERRIBLE parent. If they teach the child that popularity does not matter, and there's no reason they should care what others think, it makes all that "oh what if somone's talking about me right now, because of what xxx said on facebook!!!??" stuff disappear. Parents need to teach their kids that the real world is not a place where everyone is happy and trustworthy. People lie and do bad things. The smart people do their best avoid/ignore them and move on with what matters. The stupid people dwell on it forever and instead of teaching their children, they try to hide them from the reality of the world. PEOPLE ARE NOT NICE.

I didn't have a phone until high school, but I did have a myspace/facebook. AIM and facebook were the main means of communication. Regardless, I agree that kids should be taught that popularity isn't everything--but when it's all they observe because they haven't experienced the rest of the world, it's hard for them to really take the message to heart. I don't think the effects of cyber bullying should be downplayed because the parents understand its true significance, because that's not what the kids go by. They need some sort of limits/protection so they don't get embroiled in some silly cyber conflict that they don't perceive as silly.

Archived