'deleted, was in poor taste'

Aten

Are there any guidelines for what constitutes sufficiently poor taste to merit deletion? All I've got to go on so far is that joking about a white, blonde adult who hasn't been heard from in a whole four days qualifies and disparaging the religious beliefs of a quarter of the world's population doesn't.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any guidelines for what constitutes sufficiently poor taste to merit deletion? All I've got to go on so far is that joking about a white, blonde adult who hasn't been heard from in a whole four days qualifies and disparaging the religious beliefs of a quarter of the world's population doesn't.

I started the thread as an outreach another media source to get the word out. I too have a teenage daughter. I saw some idiot made a deragotory comment back. IM MY OPINION THIS POSTER SHOULD BE BANNED AND TOSSED THE HELL OUT OF HERE.

Thank You Max for doing what you did.

joking about a white, blonde adult

You forgot "beautiful".

This isn't meant to be an affront to Max, but I always find it odd when people bring up the physical appearance of a young (white) girl who has died or gone missing, as if it wouldn't be as tragic if she looked like Brett Somers.

You forgot "beautiful".

This isn't meant to be an affront to Max, but I always find it odd when people bring up the physical appearance of a young (white) girl who has died or gone missing, as if it wouldn't be as tragic if she looked like Brett Somers.

Think you could have made a more dated reference?

I think more people here would know who Rosie O'Donnell is if you want to refer to an horrifically ugly person.

And, truth be told, it wouldn't be as tragic if Rosie O'Donnell had died or gone missing as it would a beautiful young blonde girl. It would be cause for celebration.

Think you could have made a more dated reference?

I think more people here would know who Rosie O'Donnell is if you want to refer to an horrifically ugly person.

And, truth be told, it wouldn't be as tragic if Rosie O'Donnell had died or gone missing as it would a beautiful young blonde girl. It would be cause for celebration.

I intentionally avoided Rosie O'Donnell for that very reason.

I was watching Private Parts on cable last week, which is why, off the top of my head, Brett Somers was in the on-deck circle of unattractive female celebrities.

In hindsight, I suppose Mariano Rivera's wife would have been a better choice...

You forgot "beautiful".

Meh. Mainstream news is an entertainment medium, driven by viewership and ad rates. A disappearing hot girl clicks on more synapses than does a disappearing homely girl the same way that Lindsay Lohan getting arrested clicks on more synapses than any amout of blood-letting in Somalia. People giving a sh*t vs. people not giving a sh*t. Everyone does it, conscience or no.

My two cents on the Islam/Bin Laden fiasco: it was a huge mistake to let it run. Anytime something like that takes place, it opens the ol' sociological window where hatespeech becomes temporarily socially acceptable on public forums, whether here or Twitter, Facebook, etc. You give any group of people enough of a chance to air their prejudices, enough of them will do it. Only way to avoid it is to avoid it altogether.

Meh. Mainstream news is an entertainment medium, driven by viewership and ad rates. A disappearing hot girl clicks on more synapses than does a disappearing homely girl the same way that Lindsay Lohan getting arrested clicks on more synapses than any amout of blood-letting in Somalia. People giving a sh*t vs. people not giving a sh*t. Everyone does it, conscience or no.

I understand why real, credentialed media outlets do it... I was specifically talking about here on JN.

I must be oblivious to a lot of sh*t because when I saw the thread I just assumed it was posted because it hit close to home.....as in NEW JERSEY. I know that a lot of you are live in Jersey, raise families in Jersey, etc. That was just my assumption. The whole white, pretty rich girl angle never crossed my mind. Hmmm...I think, sometimes, well intentioned people make a whole lot of something over nothing.

I must be oblivious to a lot of sh*t because when I saw the thread I just assumed it was posted because it hit close to home.....as in NEW JERSEY. I know that a lot of you are live in Jersey, raise families in Jersey, etc. That was just my assumption. The whole white, pretty rich girl angle never crossed my mind. Hmmm...I think, sometimes, well intentioned people make a whole lot of something over nothing.

Where are you getting information that she is rich?

This is america baby, majority rules. You want racist attacks on muslims to be deleted, you better win the hearts and minds of the people

Where are you getting information that she is rich?

Again, assumption. Not because she's white and pretty...but because of a lot of people here hate rich people (see the NFL ownership threads). Really.

Again, assumption. Not because she's white and pretty...but because of a lot of people here hate rich people (see the NFL ownership threads). Really.

So because we hate billionaires trying to keep us from watching a game we love because they can't decide what to do with the money coming directly from our wallets, we hate all rich people?

So because we hate billionaires trying to keep us from watching a game we love because they can't decide what to do with the money coming directly from our wallets, we hate all rich people?

Yup.

:)

The dangers of assuming things when you have nothing but internet posts to draw your assumptions from. It's bad.

Ironically, that was the original opening sentence to Mein Kampf before it was edited out.

Why would Hitler edit when he has all the time in the world to enjoy the Argentinian countryside?

I'm irked that post got deleted. Poor taste? ME?!

Nope. But she's not. If I cared about every missing girl or person who died my life would be extremely dreary. Humor is my coping mechanism.

I made the post because a good portion of the members here are from N.J. Imagine if a JetNation member was able to help. I knew all along there would be a douche bag simpleton who decided to joke or mock it. I took my chances and guess what my hunch was right.

I made the post because a good portion of the members here are from N.J. Imagine if a JetNation member was able to help. I knew all along there would be a douche bag simpleton who decided to joke or mock it. I took my chances and guess what my hunch was right.

Hey, don't let me keep you from posting the thread. You're right, maybe someone in the JN community knows about it. Just don't expect people to be serious all the time, even about serious matters. Its the internet.

Hey, don't let me keep you from posting the thread. You're right, maybe someone in the JN community knows about it. Just don't expect people to be serious all the time, even about serious matters. Its the internet.

Understood and many who post stuff mocking a situation like this are people who would only do so because they are hiding behind a computer screen. In real life they wouldnt say jack sh*t.

Ha! I was right........AGAIN. 'Yall a bunch of haters. ;)

Understood and many who post stuff mocking a situation like this are people who would only do so because they are hiding behind a computer screen. In real life they wouldnt say jack sh*t.

i53_heybeetlejuicedorisjokerfunnydemotivationalposter1231432214090515120146_515x343.jpg

The human species makes light of things in order to better cope with reality. I don't know what sort of humorless people you live or work with, but I hear jokes about this kind of thing (and worse) all the time.

I'd probably say the same thing, and probably bring up the video on my phone. It's a long running joke how a little white blonde girl will get infinitely more attention than any other missing child.

I still remember, and chuckle at, the Elizabeth story as contrasted to the 8 year old black girl who got herself home from a kidnapping by dinner. Chappelle did a great joke on the story back in '01 or w/e, and there's plenty of jokes like it. I laugh most of the time I hear it. I laugh even harder at Patrice's Natalee Halloway routine. Not because I hate white people, not because I hate rich people, not because I hate 18 year old blonde girls...but because it's funny...and at least partially true, whether America is willing to admit it or not.

Archived