Dirk vs Durant = Hoop Bliss

RutgersJetFan

Joey Crawford. Ugh.

One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. You couldnt even breathe on Dirk.

And yet, OKC still attempted more free throws by a 43-36 margin. Durant and Westbrook had a combined 37 FTA's.

The calls may have been excessive, but they weren't one-sided.

Dirk is a walking mismatch, I saw maybe 1 awful foul call on him, the rest were legitimate contact. If you hit him while he is shooting, you have to call it. Stop looking at the number of times he got to the line and watch the game; he was putting on an absolute clinic and drawing contact almost every single play.

I agree that it sucks to watch, but when you have a guy a 7 ft jump shooter, who shoots one legged fadeaways, this sh*t happens.

And yet, OKC still attempted more free throws by a 43-36 margin. Durant and Westbrook had a combined 37 FTA's.

The calls may have been excessive, but they weren't one-sided.

Durant and Westbrook do take the ball to the bucket though....Durant gets a lot of ridiculous calls though I'll give you that.

Last nights game was just pathetic officiating and painful to watch.

Dirk is a walking mismatch, I saw maybe 1 awful foul call on him, the rest were legitimate contact. If you hit him while he is shooting, you have to call it. Stop looking at the number of times he got to the line and watch the game; he was putting on an absolute clinic and drawing contact almost every single play.

I agree that it sucks to watch, but when you have a guy a 7 ft jump shooter, who shoots one legged fadeaways, this sh*t happens.

BS

He gets half or less of those calls with a different crew... hell the Bulls and Heat were creating more contact on shots and not getting calls either way...

Will never for the life of me understand why Brooks didn't double him in the fourth. It's become the subtle things with him that makes him so good. The soft head fake on Perkins, that spin move he put on Ibaka before going baseline. Guy's just unreal. Pretty hilarious that people are actually salty at a performance like that though. You know you've reached the pinnacle of the NBA when people bitch like this.

BS

He gets half or less of those calls with a different crew... hell the Bulls and Heat were creating more contact on shots and not getting calls either way...

So now you're willing to speculate on what someone else would call, being put in a scenario that's already happened?? Okay, I can play that too. Dirk would have gotten zero foul calls if group X refereed that game. Prove me wrong. It's such a pointless argument.

The only thing you can ask for in a game is that it's called equally and consistently and by all accounts it was. The refs were calling it by the books; you get your shooting arm altered while shooting, hacked or bodied while shooting, than you're going to go to the line. It's not Dirk's fault he was just toying with Ibaka, who at what, 21??, has no business guarding Dirk out on the perimeter and low block like that.

The bulls and heat get more contact, because they play above the rim, which allows for much more wiggle room and grey area when calling fouls. When you're a jump-shooter, you either get contacted or you don't, it's much more easy to make a call against a jump-shooter than someone like LBJ or Rose driving to the basket.

So now you're willing to speculate on what someone else would call, being put in a scenario that's already happened?? Okay, I can play that too. Dirk would have gotten zero foul calls if group X refereed that game. Prove me wrong. It's such a pointless argument.

The only thing you can ask for in a game is that it's called equally and consistently and by all accounts it was. The refs were calling it by the books; you get your shooting arm altered while shooting, hacked or bodied while shooting, than you're going to go to the line. It's not Dirk's fault he was just toying with Ibaka, who at what, 21??, has no business guarding Dirk out on the perimeter and low block like that.

The bulls and heat get more contact, because they play above the rim, which allows for much more wiggle room and grey area when calling fouls. When you're a jump-shooter, you either get contacted or you don't, it's much more easy to make a call against a jump-shooter than someone like LBJ or Rose driving to the basket.

Bulls and Heat had guys almost getting knocked down without calls... heck most officials would call offensive fouls on Dirk for kicking that leg up...

Too many foul shots.. the refs needed to let them play a little so Dirk would stop looking for the easy contact and score instead.

That's bullsh*t though. The guys that have the ability to get to the bucket are getting fouled "tecnically" a lot more than Durant shooting J's.

Bulls and Heat had guys almost getting knocked down without calls... heck most officials would call offensive fouls on Dirk for kicking that leg up...

Too many foul shots.. the refs needed to let them play a little so Dirk would stop looking for the easy contact and score instead.

I agree there are too many foul shots, but they were calling it consistently and evenly, so I wasn't really about to complain.

That's bullsh*t though. The guys that have the ability to get to the bucket are getting fouled "tecnically" a lot more than Durant shooting J's.

The difference is that on a lot of those plays, it's possible to call Drose, LBJ, Wade on initiating the contact just as much as getting knocked around. Dirk was just toying with Ibaka; when he was overplaying him, he'd drive right past him, when he faded off he just shot over him. Every one of those fouls, but one, were legit fouls and simply because Ibaka was just in way over his head. He has absolutely no idea how to guard someone of Dirks' caliber this early in his career, Sefalosha should have played him since the beginning.

Ibaka is an amazing shot-blocker and is great when allowed to roam and play help defense, but he is absolutely lost playing on the low-block or out on the perimeter against someone like Dirk. Hell, almost everyone has been lost playing Dirk in these playoffs.

Now, I agree with the premise that the game was being called more ticky-tacky than others, but from they way they were calling it, they were legit fouls and it was called consistently. The spacing that Dirk was creating for Terry and Barea is what the X-factor was; I would contend that if both teams FTs were cut in half, the Mavs would have won by an even larger margin.

I think its hard to be ultra critical of the refs in this spot. The Bulls/Heat game had a different tone to it and it was set early by the style of play so the refs let it go. The problem in the Mavs game was that it wasnt a style of play that the refs were not letting go on. Its not like the Thunder were being physical with Dirk and the refs called everything under the sun. It was just awful defense. It was as if thos guys had never guarded the low block against a guy who can shoot. Some of the fouls were pick up game bad around the rim. T hat was bad play by OKC. RJF is right that they should have doubled him. Every play was the same. He would set up on the low block. Kidd would dribble up the court, hedge to the right and pass it in. Dirk catches the ball and goes to put it on the floor and next thing you know a defender is reaching around while grabbing his waist, grabbing a shoulder, etc...It was miserable play. They should have had someone front him in the post and use Ibaka as weakside help if they get over the top and he catches and tries to go to the rim.

As for Durant he has such a fast shot and can shoot so unconventionally that he draws a ton of fouls by going into guys. Hes like a better version of Reggie Miller when it comes to that. Miller would intentionally get the foul, but Durants defenders just look lost most of the time. Should be a fun series. Im torn on who to cheer for. I want Kidd to get a ring and wouldnt mind seeing Dirk get one, but Ive been a huge Durant guy since college.

watching that game last night and seeing Dirk make all those free throws was a thing of beauty!

12-15 from fieldgoals, 24-24 from the line...what an effing monster. It'd be great to see Dirk get his ring this year.

watching that game last night and seeing Dirk make all those free throws was a thing of beauty!

12-15 from fieldgoals, 24-24 from the line...what an effing monster. It'd be great to see Dirk get his ring this year.

A sound bite that i've heard throughout the day, which continues to baffle me; Dirk let the ball go out of his hands 39 times...36 of those times it went in the basket. That is just video-game-esque.

Where did all these good off the court guys come from, anyway? Dirk, Durant, Lebron, Wade, Derrick Rose; whatever happened to the good old-fashioned street thugs that were going to destroy the NBA?

Tom secretly wants another Bugg rant.

Noooooooo. :lol:

I just thought it was interesting that the NBA was all but dead last year and is back and rockin' this year. The apocalypse was exaggerated, it seems.

Dont worry, it will be dead dead in another month.

Archived