Why no love for Wayne Hunter??

SteveO

I am the only one seeing this? Everything that I am reading is stating that the jets either need to resign Woody or hope that Ducasse is ready. Why no mention of resigning Hunter? When he was asked to step in when Woody was injured I though that he did a good job (with the exception of the goal line play against Pittsburgh that would prob not happen if he were the regular starter). He had to line up agianst some pretty good players, Julius Peppers being one of them. Is there something that I am missing or am I completely overrating this guy?

Hunter is an excellent stop-gap, but much like we were doing when we drafted Kenrick Ellis at NT despite having Pouha there, you're always looking for something better. I say let Woody go, bring back Hunter on the cheap, and let Ducasse/Hunter compete for the starting RT job.

Hunter is an excellent stop-gap, but much like we were doing when we drafted Kenrick Ellis at NT despite having Pouha there, you're always looking for something better. I say let Woody go, bring back Hunter on the cheap, and let Ducasse/Hunter compete for the starting RT job.

I agree.

I can’t figure out why in nearly all the articles I read there is no mentioning about bringing Hunter back. Perhaps he is looking for starter money, and they don’t want to pay it, or they just want to see where his value is at

I agree.

I can’t figure out why in nearly all the articles I read there is no mentioning about bringing Hunter back. Perhaps he is looking for starter money, and they don’t want to pay it, or they just want to see where his value is at

Or there's a lockout and no one has any clue what's going on. lol.

I imagine they're going to bring back whoever makes the most financial sense between Hunter and Woody. Naturally, Hunter's value is higher and he deserves more money than Woody would get, but the question is HOW much more money.

If he's looking for starter money, I'd probably just bring back Woody, all but hand the job to Ducasse, and let someone else overpay Hunter. We didn't target Ducasse in the 1st round, think we had a steal in getting him in the 2nd, and hand him over to Coach Callahan to develop just to let someone else get a big paycheck and start over him.

If Hunter DOES end up sticking around and gets a starter contract, that would certainly be an indictment on Ducasse and his progression.

why no love for Wayne Hunter? cause we'd rather the Jets show love to Cro, Bray, Santonio etc.

Its not that we have no love for him. Its just that: 1) Yes, we do have a lot of other FA's to sign and can't afford to give him starter money too, and 2) We already burned a 2010 2nd rounder on, supposedly, our future at RT.

Hunter's stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to getting what he's worth this offseason.

I'd rather have sh*tty WRs than sh*tty OTs.

Couldn't agree more. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot more discussion about the RT. They go with the kid without a viable replacement. That's a formula for disaster.

What was the guards name before Fanaca? I think I've stricken him from my memory.

Couldn't agree more. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot more discussion about the RT. They go with the kid without a viable replacement. That's a formula for disaster.

What was the guards name before Fanaca? I think I've stricken him from my memory.

Cla

That awful guard was Adrian Clarke.. I tried to forget him, but just can't do it.. he is burned into my memory

Striking Adrian Clarke from memory is okay, but do you remember Jacob Bender? He was the small school beast of a RT that was going to be able to play LG. I think he gave up 3 sacks in 2 drives. He never made it as a G or T, though I think he's still kicking around the league. He is who I think of when I am told that we should just trust everything to Ducasse. Clarke was supposed to be a young unproven vet.

I'd rather have sh*tty WRs than sh*tty OTs.

We shouldn't have to accept either, but I can handle one "sh*tty" OT when we already have Brick, Mangold, and Moore on the line if it means bringing back Holmes and Braylon. This is all assuming we have any clue whatsoever what the coaching staff and front office sees in Woody, Hunter and Ducasse's value.

I trust Callahan with the OL far more than I trust Schotty & Sanchez to put together a decent passing attack without solid receivers.

We shouldn't have to accept either, but I can handle one "sh*tty" OT when we already have Brick, Mangold, and Moore on the line if it means bringing back Holmes and Braylon. This is all assuming we have any clue whatsoever what the coaching staff and front office sees in Woody, Hunter and Ducasse's value.

I trust Callahan with the OL far more than I trust Schotty & Sanchez to put together a decent passing attack without solid receivers.

The only thing I agree with is that we don't know the value the front office places on these guys. The best WR is useless with a sh*tty RT. All this bullsh*t about needing a pass rush, well if your RT sucks you've conceded one to the other team. Hunter will probably cost 1/2 of what Holmes or Cromartie go for.

I'm not saying Ducasse won't be fine, just that if they aren't sure there had better be a solid plan B. Even if they are you have to plan in case of injury and they have no 3rd OT.

I don't buy this Callahan as a magician sh*t either. If the O is good Callahan is a genius, if it sucks Schotty is a moron, Sanchez inexperienced. The running game disappeared at times. Every guy on that line except Slauson has been good without Callahan. We could trust his judgment of talent, but in that case they should re-sign Hunter who Bill and Rex called the toughest guy on the team, best 3rd tackle in the NFL, etc.

I don't think it will be an issue. I agree we don't have to accept either. The lockout has kept us from knowing their plans, but I am sure they have one. Keep in mind, the sh*tty WR is Cotchery, the sh*tty RT completely unknown

I liked Hunter's play when he filled in for Woody. I feel that he did better than Woody on average. We should try to bring him back, simply because we can't trust Ducasse yet. Ducasse only started one regular season game last year (against the Bills) and looked pretty good, but you can't really judge someone against the lowly Bills. Eventually we'll have a solid core up front again, but it takes time. I remember our O-line struggling early last season but came around as the year progressed. WRs still take priority, however, but if the price is right, we shouldn't hesitate in keeping Hunter.

I think the real x factor here is Matt Slauson. If I remember correctly he played every oline position at Nebraska besides center, and played them well I might add. He played mostly at RT his soph and junior seasons, playing so well that they moved him to be their LT as a senior where he even thrived. Point being, if we struggle enough at RT Matt could be a quick fix on that side, and that could provide Ducasse a chance to start at LG where he seems more naturally able to play anyway. ;)

someone will pay this man to start. i doubt it will be the Jets

why no love for Wayne Hunter? cause we'd rather the Jets show love to Cro, Bray, Santonio etc.

and tbh that's the right play for us...altho I'd take Hunter back at the right price...

Archived