Why not Cro as Safety

visajets

Cromartie's not a safety. He's just not physical enough. It's not a job he'd do well, nor is it a job he'd want to do. Plus, it's a serious rate cut from CB to safety. If the Jets really wanted to move him to safety (which they don't, because they realize it's not a good idea), Cro would just take more money to play the position he wants to play somewhere else.

Cromartie's not a safety. He's just not physical enough. It's not a job he'd do well, nor is it a job he'd want to do. Plus, it's a serious rate cut from CB to safety. If the Jets really wanted to move him to safety (which they don't, because they realize it's not a good idea), Cro would just take more money to play the position he wants to play somewhere else.

Oh ok that opinion makes alot more sense than his vagina. ;)

Edited by visajets

He can't even play zone defense. That's the reason he sucked in SD. The whole reason Rex thought he was a bargain was that he could play man, but not zone and that was all the Jets wanted while the Chargers tried to mix it up. That's in additon to his fear of hitting, adding nothing in run support and being a big pussy. Cromartie to safety might be the single worst idea floated on this board, but that doesn't stop this from being the second season and third or fourth thread about it.

• Upvote 1

He can't even play zone defense. That's the reason he sucked in SD. The whole reason Rex thought he was a bargain was that he could play man, but not zone and that was all the Jets wanted while the Chargers tried to mix it up. That's in additon to his fear of hitting, adding nothing in run support and being a big pussy. Cromartie to safety might be the single worst idea floated on this board, but that doesn't stop this from being the second season and third or fourth thread about it.

Oh stop who died and made you Mr.Football. Sign Cro as a CB.............hes way better than Kyle Wilson will ever be.

Hes a guy that probably gets tried at safety later in his career when his speed goes and when the experiment quickly fails he ends up out of a job. He doesnt tackle well enought to play safety. He would also be lost in coverage half the time. His abilities are to play "playground" 1 on 1 ball where he uses his size to pester guys and legs to keep up with them. Once you make him play off his man hes a below average player.

Hes a guy that probably gets tried at safety later in his career when his speed goes and when the experiment quickly fails he ends up out of a job. He doesnt tackle well enought to play safety. He would also be lost in coverage half the time. His abilities are to play "playground" 1 on 1 ball where he uses his size to pester guys and legs to keep up with them. Once you make him play off his man hes a below average player.

I disagree, his coverage skills are way better than most of you give him credit for.

I don't know that he is that consistently bad in zone, he just got caught in it a few times badly. It's just that man-to-man is normally much harder to play than zone and people who can do it are hard to find. You would think if he can play man, he could excel at zone but Cro for some reason does not. It's a little bit like being able to play shortstop very well but not second base.

Ask yourself this, though. How many good CB's are there ni the league? Except for the top ten or so, most of them just try to keep themselves in the area of the receiver and hope that the throw is not that good, so they can do something with it.

At any rate the prime qualities for a safety are the ability to get to an area and sure tackling. These are the weakest parts of Cro's game.

Oh stop who died and made you Mr.Football. Sign Cro as a CB.............hes way better than Kyle Wilson will ever be.

A bit judgmental aren't you. For a Jets fan you just gave up on Kyle Wilson, a rookie, way too fast. The guy had poor technique and got burned for it. Once the coaches teach him better fundamentals he'll be a fine corner. He has loads of talent.

A bit judgmental aren't you. For a Jets fan you just gave up on Kyle Wilson, a rookie, way too fast. The guy had poor technique and got burned for it. Once the coaches teach him better fundamentals he'll be a fine corner. He has loads of talent.

I didnt give up on Kyle Wilson, I just dont think hes ready. The NYJETS defense isnt a chemistry set. We are in the win now mode in case you havent noticed.

Thank you! I don't know why anyone would even think this could work or how it came into their mind as a rational thought.

I think Cro should play quarterback so we could run the full-house option. He'd be so much better than Major Harris. Belichick would be so screwed.

Thats a great idea. Did you think of that all by yourself? You are wasting your talent here.

I don't know that he is that consistently bad in zone, he just got caught in it a few times badly. It's just that man-to-man is normally much harder to play than zone and people who can do it are hard to find. You would think if he can play man, he could excel at zone but Cro for some reason does not. It's a little bit like being able to play shortstop very well but not second base.

Ask yourself this, though. How many good CB's are there ni the league? Except for the top ten or so, most of them just try to keep themselves in the area of the receiver and hope that the throw is not that good, so they can do something with it.

At any rate the prime qualities for a safety are the ability to get to an area and sure tackling. These are the weakest parts of Cro's game.

When the Jets first signed Cro there were numerous articles about Rex and Pettine watching tapes of him in SD and them saying that the problem was that Rivera was not using him properly because they were playing him in zone and off coverages where he DID NOT excel. The Chargers probably agreed and that's why they shipped him off (along with his fear of tackling - another bad trait for a safety). I didn't make this up and it's not based on my analysis. Sure they could be full of sh*t, but they sure flap their mouths plenty and claim to "tell it like it is".

When the Jets first signed Cro there were numerous articles about Rex and Pettine watching tapes of him in SD and them saying that the problem was that Rivera was not using him properly because they were playing him in zone and off coverages where he DID NOT excel.

we can talk about the way it was in 2009 or the way it was in 2010... as a Jets CB in 2010 Cro was awesome when the refs weren't throwing flags... like the Pats playoff game. In the Steelers playoff game he's a liability. his technique is non-existant and he's not coachable. He basically a grab and hold player. his game is purely based on his recovery speed (which is unique) but if he loses a half step he will be worthless. His tackling is still suspect. and he still can't play zone or off techniques, which the Jets do at times require. After the Nnamdi sweepstakes, some team will pay Cro 10 mil per year... and I don't think he comes back.

Edited by bitonti

+1.

What makes Cro is his ability to cover man.

Cro is both an Idiot and a Puss no way he fits in as a Safety not even close. I dont want that guy making any decisions. He plays a man for a reason.

I can however see Revis playing safety if Wilson emerges because 1. He can Hit 2. Hes a very smart player who would wreak havoc at the safety position 3. He also has the size and durability to play the position. This may be something that happens later in his career. The question is do you give up his man coverage to play him at safety ? Its a tough call. Personally I think Revis could be in the Polumalu or Reed class as a safety but the way our defense is designed we would have to have someone step in who could handle man coverages in order for this to work. The jets occasionally use Revis as a safety already but its not a true safety its more like guarding an elite TE is certain situations like we did vs NE

Edited by Smashmouth

Cro is both an Idiot and a Puss no way he fits in as a Safety not even close. I dont want that guy making any decisions. He plays a man for a reason.

I can however see Revis playing safety if Wilson emerges because 1. He can Hit 2. Hes a very smart player who would wreak havoc at the safety position 3. He also has the size and durability to play the position. This may be something that happens later in his career. The question is do you give up his man coverage to play him at safety ? Its a tough call. Personally I think Revis could be in the Polumalu or Reed class as a safety but the way our defense is designed we would have to have someone step in who could handle man coverages in order for this to work. The jets occasionally use Revis as a safety already but its not a true safety its more like guarding an elite TE is certain situations like we did vs NE

You don't take arguably the best player at his position and move him. That's not even accounting for the fact that corner is a far more valuable and difficult to fill position than safety. Besides, if Wilson emerges than the Jets would even have a greater ability to get by with random JAGs at safety. That said, I agree that Revis is the kind of player who has a real possibility to play the position later in his career once he slows down, but doing it now would be a waste of his talent in his prime years. Even that said, I'm not sure whether Revis' ego would ever allow him to make the switch, but that's many years down the road.

I do believe Revis will play safety in his career when he is a step slower and 10 or 12 lbs heavier.

Revis' talent largely depends on the fact that he large for his speed. He came into the league weighing 207 lbs or so and ran a 4.37 40. There are fast CB's, but most of them are 175 lbs or so-Revis was about 20 lbs heavier.

Since we tend to put on weight as we get older, in a few years Revis is likely to go up to 215 lbs or so and his speed will likely decrease to 4.6 in the 40. At that point, he will be fast for a safety but a size not much smaller than a linebacker. We could be looking at a Mel Blount type player at that stage.

You don't take arguably the best player at his position and move him. That's not even accounting for the fact that corner is a far more valuable and difficult to fill position than safety. Besides, if Wilson emerges than the Jets would even have a greater ability to get by with random JAGs at safety. That said, I agree that Revis is the kind of player who has a real possibility to play the position later in his career once he slows down, but doing it now would be a waste of his talent in his prime years. Even that said, I'm not sure whether Revis' ego would ever allow him to make the switch, but that's many years down the road.

Revis ego would love the switch. Safetys make more big plays and have more of an impact than corners. Revis will never put up the big numbers that hisory will commend him for, which is the interception. Why ? because in a pressure Defense like the Jets run the ball comes out quick and it makes it that much harder for a CB to react to the play in a sense he can actully get in position to intercpet a pass. Sure he can reach out and swat a pass down but to get an interception he would have to take a risk thats not in the scheme of the defense. At safety a player gets to make those big plays and view the field, not one player.

All that being Said, I do not think Revis will be moved to safety but I do think you will continue to see him play the positon occasionally just like we do now when the situation dictates. Playing corner in Rex's system Is much easier than in most systems and teams have become in tune with that and they have adjusted. We were getting raped in the middle of the field until Rex/Pettine made some late season adjustments. Who plays in the middle of the field ? Safties. We are dreadfully weak at the position and we produce no big plays at all, none. I would be willing to bet if Wilson begins to really develop this year you would see more of Revis at safety. That does not mean he would be changing positon it would mean he would be utilized in more situations to MAKE PLAYS.

Once again just so you know I DO NOT think Revis will be moved to safety ..... but if you gave me the choice in the right conditions (two solid corners) I would take the big plays I think revis can produce at safety and I feel due to pressure, the corners will still perform at a high enough level to keep our defense in the top 5 every year, just like the Ravens do with basicly no one at corner. Then what you have is a QB who is still under heavy pressure also having to worry about Revis roaming the middle of the field. Also with his 4.3 speed getting into the backfield on safety blitzes.