Why Brian Giles makes perfect sense

Green Jets & Ham

1. There really are no viable options out there at CF on the FA market unless you want to overpay for a Johnny Damon who is already showing signs of breaking down physically ... he'll ask for a four or five year deal and that has "Bernie Williams" {circa 2005} written all over it ... I can definitely see the Yankees getting stuck with an over-the-hill CF who cannot stay healthy and makes mega dollars

2. Any trades for a top notch CF {i.e. Hunter, Pierre, etc.} will likely cost us Robbie Cano or a top prospect, Eric Duncan or Phillip Hughes ... and I really want to stop trading our best young players away ... much rather get back to the days where we kept our home grown studs

Okay, so having said that here's why Giles makes perfect sense

NEXT YEAR Andruw Jones is a FA ... UNRESTRICTED FA ... and he'll only be 29 Years old!!

Conversely Gary Sheffield's contract expires following this year

SO, we live with a Giles/Matsui CF/LF platoon in 2006 and next year we dive on Andruw Jones!

In the meantime, while Giles is not the speedy CF we had hoped for, let's not lose sight of the fact that this player brings a tremendous amount of pluses to the equation as well ... namely he's a LH power hitter who can pull the ball for power {i.e. his stroke is tailor-made for Yankee Stadium}, and one thing he DOES give us in CF that we have been sorely lacking is a pretty strong arm ... and he is NOT a hack in the OF by any stretch either

Giles, I might add, is also a tremendous OBP GUY with a terrific eye ... the type of hitter that gets us back to the way we used to do things when we were racking up championships not too long ago

And so, with an eye on 2006 and beyond, if we sign Giles here's what we could be looking at in 2006 ... and then in 2007

====

SS Derek Jeter {R}

2B Robbie Cano {L}

3B Alex Rodriguez {R}

CF/LF Brian Giles {L}

RF Gary Sheffield {R}

LF/CF Hideki Matsui {L}

DH Jason Giambi {L}

C Jorge Posada {S}

1B Andy Phillips {R}

That 1-7 is absolutely lethal

=====

SS Derek Jeter

2B Robbie Cano

3B Alex Rodriguez

RF Brian Giles

CF Andruw Jones

LF Hideki Matsui

DH Jason Giambi

C Jorge Posada {Or we can go in another direction?}

1B Eric Duncan/Andy Phillips

That's why it makes perfect sense ... we can live with a Giles/Matsui CF/LF platoon for a year, and I would argue "thrive", not tie up money on a longterm deal for a CF {and one who may ever cost us Cano or Duncan}, then have the coin to make a BIG RUN at Jones during next years free agent market without a true CF in house to make it the least bit difficult

Ask yourself this question ... would you rather accept a Giles/Matsui situation this year and get Andruw Jones next year, or go and and overpay for a mediorce solution this year and NOT even have CF open for Jones in 07?

I'LL TAKE THE FORMER ... NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!

There will be some days between Giles, Matsui and Sheff the outfield will not look great on defense. But Giles has been a cleanup hitter most of his career and with his lefthanded power in this lineup he might hit 50 with 120 RBI.

Would love to see Sheff gone and Jones in the mix.I guess thet could put Sheff at DH for the last year of his contract and I doubt many teams would take that contract. Looing at Jones' numbers and the fact that he plays a great CF, he would be perfect-in 2007.

There will be some days between Giles, Matsui and Sheff the outfield will not look great on defense. But Giles has been a cleanup hitter most of his career and with his lefthanded power in this lineup he might hit 50 with 120 RBI.

Would love to see Sheff gone and Jones in the mix.I guess thet could put Sheff at DH for the last year of his contract and I doubt many teams would take that contract. Looing at Jones' numbers and the fact that he plays a great CF, he would be perfect-in 2007.

I Gotta be honest Bugg, I didn't think of the Jones angle all by myself ... wish I had, but I didn't even know he was a FA following this year ... I leanred about that last nite on the YES hot stove report from Tom Verducci ... he said the Yankees reason for pursuing Giles is with an eye towards Jones next year, at which point they will shift Giles to RF {LF Matsui, CF Jones, RF Giles} ... that's the real longterm vision according to Verducci

As you well know, Verducci {S.I.} has sources up the wazoo ... his reports are usually very accurate ... has an excellent track record, and when you think about it, it all makes sense ... suddenly Giles {with the derth of CF's in this market and Jones due for FA next year} makes a great deal of sense

Of course the other reasons are also two fold ... they don't like the FA CF market this year and they don't want to trade away Cano or their best prospects for a CF ... according to Verducci the Yankees have surmised it would make more sense to go with Giles for a year then make a run at Jones

Anyway, when it was explained that way it made all the sense in the world too me ... and I love the idea

Why tie up CF now {long-term}, perhaps at the cost of Cano or our best prospects {i.e. Duncan/Hughes}, when we can simply make due with Giles for one year and CF will be entirely free for Jones when this season ends

And making due for a year with Giles is hardly a reason to cry .. the man does bring a ton of pluses to the table

Hadn't thought of this. My only problem with this scenario (and it is a minor one)...two actually:

1. I really wanted a top flight defensive centerfielder this year. I realize if you get Jones next year it will have been worth it. But it is a risk because if they don't get Jones...they are in the same boat they are in now.

2. Derek Jeter should not be leading off. He should be batting 2nd.

Ham...it is an exciting idea though. Would I roll the dice and take a gamble? Yes, probably. Because you make the team better this year and you don't cripple yourself for the future. It would be awesome if it worked. But it is a Gamble.

Great post Ham!

Hadn't thought of this. My only problem with this scenario (and it is a minor one)...two actually:

1. I really wanted a top flight defensive centerfielder this year. I realize if you get Jones next year it will have been worth it. But it is a risk because if they don't get Jones...they are in the same boat they are in now.

2. Derek Jeter should not be leading off. He should be batting 2nd.

Ham...it is an exciting idea though. Would I roll the dice and take a gamble? Yes, probably. Because you make the team better this year and you don't cripple yourself for the future. It would be awesome if it worked. But it is a Gamble.

Great post Ham!

Just one thing to consider, Max

If the Yankees build their entire off season strategy with an eye on 2007 as well ... basically a two year plan ... and the centerpiece of that plan is Andruw Jones in 07, as Verducci claims that it is ... is there really any doubt the Yankees will get their man when they put on the full court press?

I mean, can you really see the Yankees ... George Steinbrenner's NY Yankees ... divising a strategy with Andruw Jones as the ultimate prize, and then failing to secure their man when he becomes a FA?

If you look at it that way, is there really much risk invloved? 8)

is there really any doubt the Yankees will get their man when they put on the full court press?

I mean, can you really see the Yankees ... George Steinbrenner's NY Yankees ... divising a strategy with Andruw Jones as the ultimate prize, and then failing to secure their man when he becomes a FA?

If you look at it that way, is there really much risk invloved? 8)

A few things could stand in the way.

1. If they have a bad year, heads may roll. Then we could be looking at the old Yankees. Nobody wanted their money. Remember the 80's.

2. What if Jones resigns with the Braves in the meantime? That one scares me a lot! I know they have a track record of letting these guys walk but this is Jones. They have to find a way to keep him...especially considering what he has done lately.

It is worth a shot though. Especially when you consider that they won't be passing up any stud defensive fielders to take this gamble.

This team needs Mickey Rivers. Except with an arm. Catch the ball. Hit .280, lead off and steal some bases. Unfortunately I don't see that guy out there right now.

A few things could stand in the way.

1. If they have a bad year, heads may roll. Then we could be looking at the old Yankees. Nobody wanted their money. Remember the 80's.

2. What if Jones resigns with the Braves in the meantime? That one scares me a lot! I know they have a track record of letting these guys walk but this is Jones. They have to find a way to keep him...especially considering what he has done lately.

I don't see either scenario happening, Max

1. The Yankees are too talented to go in the tank ... especially with the addition of Giles and a presumed focus on seriously addressing the bullpen

2. I think the first thing Jones agent will recognize when he views the baseball landscape in 2006 is the opening in CF that remains at Yankee Stadium ... and he'll know that spells the mother of all killings, so in order for his client to forego his impending date with free agency to re-up with the Braves, Atlanta would have to back up a Brinks truck at Jones place of residence and empty a fortune on to his front lawn :wink:

Who is his agent?

And I don't think the Yankees will tank either! But the Yankees don't have to tank for George to lose his mind. I have to think that if Torre doesn't win it all he will be let go this year. George only has so much patience left!

BTW, did you see todays Daily News, Max?

I said Johnny Damon will likely be asking for four or five years, and I felt that was way to long for a player who is already showing signs of breaking down physically

BUT GET THIS ...

Daily News says his agent {Scott Boros} is lookin for SEVEN YEARS!!

Geez, talk about dilusional :roll:

BTW, did you see todays Daily News, Max?

I said Johnny Damon will likely be asking for four or five years, and I felt that was way to long for a player who is already showing signs of breaking down physically

BUT GET THIS ...

Daily News says his agent {Scott Boros} is lookin for SEVEN YEARS!!

Geez, talk about dilusional :roll:

Damon for anything more than 3 is a MISTAKE. His power #'s are going to be down in the non-juice age we live in.

He should ALREADY be playing LF. He will have a hard time getting even 4.

Oh yeah, and the contract the Yankees reportedly are working on for Giles is only 3 Years

3 Years at around 30 million

That sounds about right. I am still shocked that Matsui got such a big deal. Really thought the market pulled back more.

I wanted to keep Matsui so I don't have a problem with it. He plays hard and is steady.

That sounds about right. I am still shocked that Matsui got such a big deal. Really thought the market pulled back more.

I wanted to keep Matsui so I don't have a problem with it. He plays hard and is steady.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but Verducci and Joel Sherman {Guests on the YES hot stove report} both felt the Yankees Got a fair deal for Matsui ... better than they suspected

Not saying I agree or disagree, but Verducci and Joel Sherman {Guests on the YES hot stove report} both felt the Yankees Got a fair deal for Matsui ... better than they suspected

Doesn't surprise me. I thought the market was on the decline last year and then some of those pitchers got insane deals.

I guess what it has become is this...a few players will get paid every year. The key is to not overpay the wrong guy because there will be barains later on.

Much like modern day football.

Personally, I think the Yankees overpaid for Matsui, the player. However, when you add up the intangibles, i.e., good clubhouse guy, never spouts off to the media, plays hard all the time, excellent clutch hitter, excellent RBI guy, then I can't complain one bit.

That's not counting the off the field stuff that Yankees Inc., benefits, such as the Marketing, the sales of Yankees merchandise in Japan, et al.

GJ&H and Max;

When you lay out the prospect of acquiring Jones in 2007, it make smore sense when yo consider the following also.

After 2006, Moose's contract ends. There is an option for 2007, but I doubt the Yankees will exercise. That is 17 or 19 million off the books, depending on whom you ask. That will more then pay for Jones.

AFter 2006, Sheffs contract ends. That is 9 million in current salary (there is deferred money there). That's at least 26 million off the books after 2006.

After 2006, Randy and Wright and Posada have 1 more year left, at the most (in Jorge's case, there is a buyout involved). Based on the published salaries, that is 36 million off the books after 2007.

The Jones contract will be able to be paid for without any payroll increase. And then there is plenty more coming off the books the year later.

I saw do this, even if it means overpaying for Giles right now.

GJ&H and Max;

When you lay out the prospect of acquiring Jones in 2007, it make smore sense when yo consider the following also.

After 2006, Moose's contract ends. There is an option for 2007, but I doubt the Yankees will exercise. That is 17 or 19 million off the books, depending on whom you ask. That will more then pay for Jones.

AFter 2006, Sheffs contract ends. That is 9 million in current salary (there is deferred money there). That's at least 26 million off the books after 2006.

After 2006, Randy and Wright and Posada have 1 more year left, at the most (in Jorge's case, there is a buyout involved). Based on the published salaries, that is 36 million off the books after 2007.

The Jones contract will be able to be paid for without any payroll increase. And then there is plenty more coming off the books the year later.

I saw do this, even if it means overpaying for Giles right now.

Exactly mbn ... no doubt the Yankees have crunched all the numbers and they know they will be in a Great position to make a run at Jones next year, win any bidding war, and not increase payroll from 2006 one iota

THEY KNOW THIS .. that's why their bringing in Giles to play CF one year, then move to the corner next year .. it keeps CF wide open for Jones in 07

Exactly mbn ... no doubt the Yankees have crunched all the numbers and they know they will be in a Great position to make a run at Jones next year, win any bidding war, and not increase payroll from 2006 one iota

THEY KNOW THIS .. that's why their bringing in Giles to play CF one year, then move to the corner next year .. it keeps CF wide open for Jones in 07

Have to agree. The Yankees have a far better handle on these salaries then I do. And they have others, like Womack, Sturtze, et al, in mind also. I just listed the big ones that I know of.

Love the player..but I got a hunch about him and roids. The guy looks like he's about 5' 8'' and he's hitting bombs with the best of em? Makes we wonder.

Jones in CF would be one of the best moves Cashman has ever made.

I seriously doubt the braves would let Andruw Jones just walk. We cant build a team by counting on other teams to not resign their best players. Our GM, who I like, has to take action. Aaron Rowand is on the block, and the Yankees are rumored to be in a 3 team trade to acquire him.

Rowand, Matsui and Giles > Sheffield, Giles, Matsui

I seriously doubt the braves would let Andruw Jones just walk. We cant build a team by counting on other teams to not resign their best players. Our GM, who I like, has to take action. Aaron Rowand is on the block, and the Yankees are rumored to be in a 3 team trade to acquire him.

Rowand, Matsui and Giles > Sheffield, Giles, Matsui

I read a couple of weeks ago that the Sox shot the Yankees down when they asked about Rowand. What 3 way deal are you talking about?

One consideration withg Matsui that sets him apart from everyone else save Ichiro-he fills the Yanks' coffers with Japanese money well in excess of his contract, being a Yankee makes him a giant in Japan. On top of ebing a solid player.

I read a couple of weeks ago that the Sox shot the Yankees down when they asked about Rowand. What 3 way deal are you talking about?

Mike and the Mad Dog, and Sweeney Murti reported the Yankees are looking into a 3 team deal where the Yankees acquire Aaron Rowand. I have no idea who the 3rd team is (marlins I did hear) or who the Yankees give up. I got this from nyyfans.com, hotstove section.

Personally, I think the Yankees overpaid for Matsui, the player. However, when you add up the intangibles, i.e., good clubhouse guy, never spouts off to the media, plays hard all the time, excellent clutch hitter, excellent RBI guy, then I can't complain one bit.

That's not counting the off the field stuff that Yankees Inc., benefits, such as the Marketing, the sales of Yankees merchandise in Japan, et al.

The Matsui situation is exactly what I figured would happen. The Yankees would not let him go because of the Japanese press and such. Matsui is a good to very good player. Is he worth that much as a player? No, but he had the Yankees by the balls, and I think the deal was about right considering what he brings in.

The Matsui situation is exactly what I figured would happen. The Yankees would not let him go because of the Japanese press and such. Matsui is a good to very good player. Is he worth that much as a player? No, but he had the Yankees by the balls, and I think the deal was about right considering what he brings in.

He still is a plus overall as a player, so it's not like they signed some stiff here.

One consideration withg Matsui that sets him apart from everyone else save Ichiro-he fills the Yanks' coffers with Japanese money well in excess of his contract, being a Yankee makes him a giant in Japan. On top of ebing a solid player.

Great point Bugg. Probably 1/3 of that salary was paid to him because the Yanks make a killing revenue wise by just having him on the team.

Many GM's predict this to be the best signing of the off-season when all is said in done. A few even say the Yanks got a steal because the return revenue is so great.

Archived