N.J Todd Frazier called up to the REDS

visajets

Frazier gets call up to the Cincinnati Reds

Posted on May 23, 2011 by Keith Sargeant

Todd Frazier was a three-year standout at Rutgers, helping the Scarlet Knights capture the Big East Tournament championship before being selected by the Cincinnati Reds in 2007. (Asbury Park Press file photo)A quest that began on little league ballfields in Toms River and continued at Rutgers University will materialize tonight for Todd Frazier.

A dream that began on little league ballfields in Toms River and continued at Rutgers University will come true tonight for Todd Frazier.

Frazier, who starred on the Toms River East American Team that won the 1998 Little League World Series title, was promoted the Cincinnati Reds late Sunday night and is expected to make his Major League Baseball debut tonight against the Phillies in Philadelphia.

While Cincinnati Reds media relations official Rob Butcher said a transaction such as Frazier’s promotion won’t be announced until “”all the players know, which is typically around 4 p.m.,” Frazier’s agency, CAA Sports broke the news on its CAA_baseball Twitter page earlier this morning.

Reached as he was headed to the airport, Frazier called it a “”dream come true” and said “”right now I’m on Cloud 9.”

“”At what point did I start thinking about it? Probably when I first started swinging a bat in T-ball,” Frazier said. “”As a little kid you always think about stuff like that, and when I hit my first home run in T-ball I thought, ‘Man, I wish I could do this for the rest of my life.’ ”

Selected by the Reds as the 34th pick overall in the 2007 Major League draft, Frazier was a four-year star at Toms River South before earning numerous accolades as a three-year starter at Rutgers.

Archived