Mets owner rips players

visajets

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2011/05/mets_owner_fred_wilpon_rips_pl.html

Fred Wilpon is a douche and is bad for baseball. The Mets will never succeed with this guy as owner.

Based on the article, it seems as though Wilpon let his guard down with the reporter, they were watching the game together and Wilpon let things out as if he is watching the game as a casual fan. BIG mistake.

We also do not know what is taken out of context and what was not included in the article.

Personally, I think it is stupid that an owner gives this type of access, but Wilpon is looking to muster some public sentiment his way. This is unfortunate collateral damage.

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2011/05/mets_owner_fred_wilpon_rips_pl.html

Fred Wilpon is a douche and is bad for baseball. The Mets will never succeed with this guy as owner.

"He then turned his eye toward Reyes, who will be a free agent this fall. “He thinks he’s going to get Carl Crawford money,” Wilpon said, alluding to Crawford’s seven-year, $142 million deal with Boston. He added, “He’s had everything wrong with him. We won’t get it.” "

If I were a Mets fan, I would be furious. Reyes may lose a step as he gets older, but this is the kind of player you pay and keep. Only a schmuck like Wilpon would think otherwise.The Mets are overmatched because their owner is a thieving cheap bastard.

"He then turned his eye toward Reyes, who will be a free agent this fall. “He thinks he’s going to get Carl Crawford money,” Wilpon said, alluding to Crawford’s seven-year, $142 million deal with Boston. He added, “He’s had everything wrong with him. We won’t get it.” "

If I were a Mets fan, I would be furious. Reyes may lose a step as he gets older, but this is the kind of player you pay and keep. Only a schmuck like Wilpon would think otherwise.The Mets are overmatched because their owner is a thieving cheap bastard.

Hey, it all depends on what type of prospects they can get. If they can get two everyday players (or one every day player and a 2 or 3 starter) in exchange for Reyes, then you have to consider it. Then use some of the money you use on Reyes on someone else.

That makes it a net gain.

The Mets poured their money into the Front Office this off-season-They better have some prowess in scouting and assessing.

"At one point, I mentioned to Wilpon the theory that the Mets might be cursed. He gave a sort of half laugh, and said, 'You mean' -- and then pantomimed a checked swing of the bat. Any Mets fan (I am one) would understand the reference. The Mets took the 2006 National League Championship Series to a seventh game against the Cardinals."

In the game Wilpon refers to, Beltran took a called third strike from Adam Wainwright to end it.

:lol: :lol:

Based on the article, it seems as though Wilpon let his guard down with the reporter, they were watching the game together and Wilpon let things out as if he is watching the game as a casual fan. BIG mistake.

We also do not know what is taken out of context and what was not included in the article.

Personally, I think it is stupid that an owner gives this type of access, but Wilpon is looking to muster some public sentiment his way. This is unfortunate collateral damage.

I'm not so sure. If this were a short rant during the implosion yesterday I could see it. Errors and mental mistakes can cause an outburst, but these were several thought out opinions on specific players. Obviously he should just STFU. Also, Toobin isn't just a reporter, he is probably as likely to write a book as an article. If it was a piece for the New Yorker I doubt it required critical comments about the players. Boras seems so reasonable by comparison.

I'm not so sure. If this were a short rant during the implosion yesterday I could see it. Errors and mental mistakes can cause an outburst, but these were several thought out opinions on specific players. Obviously he should just STFU. Also, Toobin isn't just a reporter, he is probably as likely to write a book as an article. If it was a piece for the New Yorker I doubt it required critical comments about the players. Boras seems so reasonable by comparison.

Dumb comments, no doubt. Not unlike the blowhards in the Bronx do on a regular basis about their players.

Looks like they were watching a game together, in what I am sure was several weeks they spent together, and it sounds like Wilpon got comfortable, and let his guard down--which a good reporter will get you to do.

What we don't know-is what else did he say. What was context? What wasn't reported?

Really, where is Wilpon wrong with any of his points? Just things he shouldn't let slip out.

Word. Toobin was on the radio today talking about the interview. Basically said that he interviewed Fred three different times for the piece, with the focus on the Madoff aftermath. The player comments came while they sat and watched a game. To nitwit Fred's credit, Toobin gave him the chance to revise or backtrack on his statements before it went to press and Wilpon manned up and stood by his words. Dumbsh*t, but at least he didn't weasel out. That said, f*ck Wilpon and I hope he sells the team to someone who walks in to CitiField and rips all that Jackie Robinson sh*t down and ships it out to the Dodgers where it belongs.

The Mets need to get back to their roots.

Pitching

When the Mets have had their best runs 1969-1973, 1984-2001 there strength was pitching. From Seaver and Koosman through Doc, Darling, Cone and on through even guys like Viola and Leiter.

To me if you can get a top pitching prospect and then some for Reyes you make the deal. It would not surprise me in the least if the Mets deal Beltran, and Wright for the right price should be available as well.

Start over, get the Wilpons out and build this team they way their most succesful teams have been built.

The Mets need to get back to their roots.

Pitching

When the Mets have had their best runs 1969-1973, 1984-2001 there strength was pitching. From Seaver and Koosman through Doc, Darling, Cone and on through even guys like Viola and Leiter.

To me if you can get a top pitching prospect and then some for Reyes you make the deal. It would not surprise me in the least if the Mets deal Beltran, and Wright for the right price should be available as well.

Start over, get the Wilpons out and build this team they way their most succesful teams have been built.

It has really been enlightening and entertaining over the past several weeks in seeing how young players can infuse a ball club and bring it energy. Having "hungry" players can bring it life.

Granted, you can't expect to win that way over the long haul, and talent will always win out over hunger, but I believe that Alderson will find a proper balance. It is nice seeing an infield, and knowing that every one of those players were home grown.

You are correct in your pitching analysis and that is where the Mets should concentrate. On offense, they will need to be a slash and dash type of team.

I think the Wilpons pay way too too too much attention to the sportstalk world which for the most part in NY is a bunch of opinions twisted and molded by Mike Francesa. What Wilpon said is simply what he thought the fans wanted to hear from an owner since it is what he hears them say on the radio. The "Carl Crawford Money" stuff is straight out of Francesa. Its like he just lifted whatever was said and told the reporter those comments. The fans are way down on the owners and he says these things to basically say "hey look Im one of you". Its how the Mets operate.

Ill never forget when Mike and Chris went on months and months of ranting about how awful Piazza was behind the plate and how he had to get to 1st base to "preserve his career". Mind you never once was there a peep from Mike about demanding they move Posada from behind the plate in his late days because of things like "who will you put in his place" and his classic "be careful about seeing catcher X fill in for 3 weeks and thinking he can be the guy. Posada has built up a great career you know what you will get". Finally the Mets gave in despite the fact that Piazza clearly did not want to play first base and more importantly could not play first base. It basically made his last year here a joke. It didnt preserve his career or anything like that. He was getting older and was done. After the experiement was over those two never made reference of it again until years later when Mike will make comments about how everything the Mets do ends up being wrong and bring up the terrible decision to move Piazza to first base, a move he demanded from the Mets and in turn made the fans demand.

I think the Wilpons pay way too too too much attention to the sportstalk world which for the most part in NY is a bunch of opinions twisted and molded by Mike Francesa. What Wilpon said is simply what he thought the fans wanted to hear from an owner since it is what he hears them say on the radio. The "Carl Crawford Money" stuff is straight out of Francesa. Its like he just lifted whatever was said and told the reporter those comments. The fans are way down on the owners and he says these things to basically say "hey look Im one of you". Its how the Mets operate.

Ill never forget when Mike and Chris went on months and months of ranting about how awful Piazza was behind the plate and how he had to get to 1st base to "preserve his career". Mind you never once was there a peep from Mike about demanding they move Posada from behind the plate in his late days because of things like "who will you put in his place" and his classic "be careful about seeing catcher X fill in for 3 weeks and thinking he can be the guy. Posada has built up a great career you know what you will get". Finally the Mets gave in despite the fact that Piazza clearly did not want to play first base and more importantly could not play first base. It basically made his last year here a joke. It didnt preserve his career or anything like that. He was getting older and was done. After the experiement was over those two never made reference of it again until years later when Mike will make comments about how everything the Mets do ends up being wrong and bring up the terrible decision to move Piazza to first base, a move he demanded from the Mets and in turn made the fans demand.

Francesa has absolutely zero clue on analyzing baseball and keeping things in context. For what he says about one player, he'll completely use a different angle on another regarding the same exact situation.

"Dis guy heah neva gets da big hit!!"

"Mike, every number known to man suggests otherwise."

"I've been doin dis 25 yeahs! I dont have to go by dose numbahs, ok!"

Francesa has absolutely zero clue on analyzing baseball and keeping things in context. For what he says about one player, he'll completely use a different angle on another regarding the same exact situation.

"Dis guy heah neva gets da big hit!!"

"Mike, every number known to man suggests otherwise."

"I've been doin dis 25 yeahs! I dont have to go by dose numbahs, ok!"

Is he still calling Yankee AAA catcher Austin Romine "Orson Romaine"? Some sort of salad involving Orson Wells?

Archived