Dirk is carving his legacy in Texas basketball history

Blackout

Why does Westbrook like to freeze out Durant in the last two minutes of these games again?

Starbury syndrome. Been saying it since midseason, OKC needs to trade him stat. They're coming up on a serious window of opportunity in that conference and the friction that's inevitably going to grow between him and Durant is going to kill it. Durant doesn't have enough Jordan in him to keep Westbrook in check, and Westbrook has just enough Steve Francis in him to never get over it by himself.

Starbury syndrome. Been saying it since midseason, OKC needs to trade him stat. They're coming up on a serious window of opportunity in that conference and the friction that's inevitably going to grow between him and Durant is going to kill it. Durant doesn't have enough Jordan in him to keep Westbrook in check, and Westbrook has just enough Steve Francis in him to never get over it by himself.

They're both 22 years old....Jordan didnt have enough Jordan in him at that age.

Im sure most of the offseason and early next season the rumors will be Westbrook for either Paul or Williams since both will be free agents and possibly going to bolt their respective teams. Watching Westbrook play at times is rough. Clearly he takes the ball down the court with the mentality that he can either beat everyone off the dribble or that he simply walk them down the lane and get to the rim. Hes more talented than Marbury and Francis, both those are both great examples. Stevie Franchise used to slow some of those games down to a crawl when he would get in the halfcourt set and then just dribble the ball for 15 seconds between his legs and then hoist up a shot. It was 1 on 5. Marbury just never trusted anyone, which is probably the worst trait ever for a PG.

There is no reason in the world for your point to be taking 20 some shots a game when you have the best offensive player in the NBA alongside him in Durant. Iverson and Rose I get. There are no options. Westbrook has a 30 PPG guy standing next to him and a freakish team of athletes that can run and jump. If they cant move him and he has another playoff run like this I guess the next step will be to play him off the ball which will probably make him demand a trade.

Im sure most of the offseason and early next season the rumors will be Westbrook for either Paul or Williams since both will be free agents and possibly going to bolt their respective teams. Watching Westbrook play at times is rough. Clearly he takes the ball down the court with the mentality that he can either beat everyone off the dribble or that he simply walk them down the lane and get to the rim. Hes more talented than Marbury and Francis, both those are both great examples. Stevie Franchise used to slow some of those games down to a crawl when he would get in the halfcourt set and then just dribble the ball for 15 seconds between his legs and then hoist up a shot. It was 1 on 5. Marbury just never trusted anyone, which is probably the worst trait ever for a PG.

There is no reason in the world for your point to be taking 20 some shots a game when you have the best offensive player in the NBA alongside him in Durant. Iverson and Rose I get. There are no options. Westbrook has a 30 PPG guy standing next to him and a freakish team of athletes that can run and jump. If they cant move him and he has another playoff run like this I guess the next step will be to play him off the ball which will probably make him demand a trade.

Durant isnt as good as you guys are making him out to be. Trouble creating his own shot. He's a really good jumpshooter. But hell, Maynor was waving his a$$ off too. He just stands around 25 feet away from the basket....he needs to be a lot more aggressive. But I dont even know if he's capable of it.

I'm happy for Rick Carlisle who is an excellent coach. He had the best team in the Pacers way back and was done in by The Malice at the Palace.

Happy for Dirk too. Witlock had a spot on article the other day saying that Dirk gets overshadowed because of Mark Cuban's buffoonery, and it's true. The same could be said for Carlisle now.

Agree 100%.

Trading Westbrook for Chris Paul in a package is a no brainer IMO. Westbrook is going to ruin that team.

And, Matt, I can see the "overrated" argument since I've always thought of Durant as a taller Reggie Miller.

I can't wait for the Mavs-Heat re-match 5 years in the making. Miami will probably win this time too but it should make an entertaining series.

Miami won last time too.

I think the Mavs would win, unless Cuban convinces his team to complain about the refs all the time like they did last series.

Was actually talking about the Nets as a possibility with a buddy after the game. The thing is, Williams is definitely going to be looking to get paid, you can just see it in him already, and OKC just doesn't seem like the type of franchise that's going to be breaking the bank for anyone, particularly for a guy who's already forced himself out of one place already. Have to say, part of me is happy that the Knicks don't have the pieces for him. Walsh was insanely high on him before the draft and his love affair with players tends to be never-ending. As much as I like him as a player, there's no way he'd mesh well with Melo in a million years.

New Orleans makes a ton of sense. I still think Boston's a great target. And I think LA's a sleeper as well with the shakeups that are headed their way. And how about Minnesota? Granted Rubio wants to be in a big market, but I don't think selling him on playing with Durant would be too far of a stretch. They certainly can't be sure of Flynn anymore, and they're supposedly high on drafting Knight as well.

Durant isnt as good as you guys are making him out to be. Trouble creating his own shot. He's a really good jumpshooter. But hell, Maynor was waving his a$$ off too. He just stands around 25 feet away from the basket....he needs to be a lot more aggressive. But I dont even know if he's capable of it.

This is proof only that OKC has two retarded PGs instead of one.

This is proof only that OKC has two retarded PGs instead of one.

More to do with Durant's passiveness than anything. You cant stand around 20 feet away from the bucket every time down the floor and expect to be getting the ball.

Was actually talking about the Nets as a possibility with a buddy after the game. The thing is, Williams is definitely going to be looking to get paid, you can just see it in him already, and OKC just doesn't seem like the type of franchise that's going to be breaking the bank for anyone, particularly for a guy who's already forced himself out of one place already. Have to say, part of me is happy that the Knicks don't have the pieces for him. Walsh was insanely high on him before the draft and his love affair with players tends to be never-ending. As much as I like him as a player, there's no way he'd mesh well with Melo in a million years.

I remember when you said Westbrook should be traded and my inital thought was that it might be extreme, but you were probably right. He's just brutally selfish with the ball. As a Nets fan, I'd be really torn to see a DWill-for-Westbrook deal. Obviously, on the one hand, the Nets would get a star player who is guaranteed not to bolt after the season, but on the other hand you'd be getting a guy who looks like a collosal douche to deal with. Personally, I'm still holding out hope that Prokhorov tricks DWill into signing the extension, even though realistically I know that the Nets have no way of acquiring enough players before next season starts to satisfy him, and Avery Johnson will eventually piss him off anyway.

If I'm OKC, I'd make a phone call and see if Cleveland would cough up the first overall pick and Baron Davis for Westbrook and change (Ibaka?), then go draft Kyrie Irving.

More to do with Durant's passiveness than anything. You cant stand around 20 feet away from the bucket every time down the floor and expect to be getting the ball.

Harsh. He definitely would be well-served to go and learn a post-up move this off-season, but there's no excuse for Westbrook to treat him like Chris Dudley in these games.

Harsh. He definitely would be well-served to go and learn a post-up move this off-season, but there's no excuse for Westbrook to treat him like Chris Dudley in these games.

Westbrook has a lot of growing up to do i'll tell you that...but Durant does have a habit of standing on the perimeter.

Westbrook has a lot of growing up to do i'll tell you that...but Durant does have a habit of standing on the perimeter.

Part of that is Durant not liking contact, but part of that is the style offense they play. They try to keep things open for the point and they want the big guys to fill up around the basket for putbacks. Durant's never going to be the finisher or driver that a guy like James is (though durants one dunk was pretty sick in the Mavs series) because his body isnt built for that kind of punishment. Still I dont know where its written that a guy has to drive the ball to be a great player. Maybe it limits a little what he can do in a late close game, but he has such great range and such a fast release thats hes a rough guard. Hes just a tremendous scorer. The thing he is going to have to learn to do more of is running around screens and working to get open without the ball then he does now. At some point he has to get more selfish too. If he had the mentality Kobe has Durant would average around 35 a game, though he would probably drop below 45% from the field.

Archived