Mets "Bleeding cash" per ESPN

Blackout

Bugg, when the story first broke, there was no story of a clawback.

I know you can't resist getting a good dig in, but get the facts right. We get it, you don't like Wilpon. Neither do a lot of us. But get YOUR facts right.

I don't know all the details. What facts does he have wrong?

There is nothing easier in this world than being a Yankee fan.

This is true, but it wasn't always so. The Yankees won the world series the year I was born (1962) and didn't win it again until I was 16 years old. In the meantime, I grew up as a Yankees fan in a family of them. Shortly thereafter, we had the 80s, which was a miserable time for Yankees fans, with Steinbrenner screwing things up and the team in complete disarray. So, I'm not about to apologize for the period from the mid 90s to now, with five championships and trips to the playoffs every year but one. I love it and I'm glad I'm a Yankees fan.

Besides, the Yankees are my reward for being a Jets fan. I feel sorry for you guys who are stuck with the Jets AND the Mets. That must be just be year-round misery.

This is true, but it wasn't always so. The Yankees won the world series the year I was born (1962) and didn't win it again until I was 16 years old. In the meantime, I grew up as a Yankees fan in a family of them. Shortly thereafter, we had the 80s, which was a miserable time for Yankees fans, with Steinbrenner screwing things up and the team in complete disarray. So, I'm not about to apologize for the period from the mid 90s to now, with five championships and trips to the playoffs every year but one. I love it and I'm glad I'm a Yankees fan.

Besides, the Yankees are my reward for being a Jets fan. I feel sorry for you guys who are stuck with the Jets AND the Mets. That must be just be year-round misery.

Im also an Islanders fan.

russian_roulette.gif

Bugg, when the story first broke, there was no story of a clawback.

I know you can't resist getting a good dig in, but get the facts right. We get it, you don't like Wilpon. Neither do a lot of us. But get YOUR facts right.

Anyone who didn't anticipate a clawback following the biggest Ponzi scheme in history is retarded.

Should someone suspect original principal to be included in a clawback? It is overreaching

Wilpon continues to trot a stupid and conflicting argument to claim victimhood,that he was stupid and trusting. If he's that dumb, he woulnd't have gotten this far as a real estate guy, nor been in a position to buy Doubleday out. Further anyone that dumb has no business running an MLB franchise. But also, someone that dumb doesn't have his partner/brother-in-law Sol Katz recruit marks, uh, investors for Madoff explicitly telling them to not ask any questions about the level of return Madoff claimed to be producing. Someone that dumb doesn't have his financial advisor explicitly contact Metlife to discuss an insurance policy covering a potential Ponzi scheme losses.And Wilpon was part of a settlement of a Ponzi scheme but a fe years earlier. if he wasn't asking questions about Madoff as he has claimed, he is either braindead or a stone liar. And someone that dumb doesn't start withdrawing funds from Madoff in the months preceding the collapse.

And if he is this dumb it's incumbent on MLB to get him out of the franchise, which was probably what happened yesterday.A hedge fund guy is not droppong $200 million for nothing more than some nice seats, even if the Wilpons think they fleeced Einhorn. Einhorn earlier this week as a big shareholder in Microsoft demanded Steve Balmer step down as CEO. Don't think he's going to want to see Jeff Wilpon make any major decisions. More likely as with Alderson this is Selig taking another step to getting the Wilpons out, if slowly. It's good to be pals with Selig if you want to own an MLB franchise yet again. Would expect that despite the inevtiable sale of the team the Wilpons will do evertyhing they can to hang on to SNY like cold death.

Scott what facts does he have wrong?

I am not here to defend Wilpons.

Bugg has a one sided view of them (and frankly any owner from what I see).

When the Madoff scheme was discovered, no one knew of a clawback, particularly a clawback that involved PRINCIPAL. From most lawyers I read, that is an extreme overreach by Picard, mainly because the Wilpons are public figures. There is not precedent for that.

Bugg says Wilpon is cheap and does not spend money. Ask any Yankee fan in this forum when they topic of payroll comes up, and they bring up the Mets immediately. Can't have it both ways. Wilpon has spent. You can question whether he has spent wisely, but that is not being cheap.

The defense for the Wilpons is pretty easy-How could they be aware of something that the SEC could not find out for themselves? After the SEC did regular digging?

The SI article last week on the Wilpons was pretty candid. They came off genuinely hurt and beaten. Yes, I know the skeptics will cry "alligator tears".

Again, my attempt is not to defens the Wilpons, but to be balanced. Buggs commentary was not that. He has had an obvious ax to grind for many years.

My hope is that the Wilpons slowly bow out, which it seems the wheels are in motion. It just will not happen quickly. For Mets fans, you have to hope they can build from within, which they set in motion last offsesason with the people they hired. They did not have to bring Dipodesto and Ricciardi in-they did. They seem committed to the youth movement.

Look Wilpons have to go for the good of this franchise- there is no way anyone here can say they know they deliberately made money when they should have known better. Certain people have an axe against the Mets and the owners here just like some Met fans have an axe against the Yanks and their owners. They see everything through rose colored glassses.

I am not here to defend Wilpons.

Bugg has a one sided view of them (and frankly any owner from what I see).

When the Madoff scheme was discovered, no one knew of a clawback, particularly a clawback that involved PRINCIPAL. From most lawyers I read, that is an extreme overreach by Picard, mainly because the Wilpons are public figures. There is not precedent for that.

Bugg says Wilpon is cheap and does not spend money. Ask any Yankee fan in this forum when they topic of payroll comes up, and they bring up the Mets immediately. Can't have it both ways. Wilpon has spent. You can question whether he has spent wisely, but that is not being cheap.

The defense for the Wilpons is pretty easy-How could they be aware of something that the SEC could not find out for themselves? After the SEC did regular digging?

The SI article last week on the Wilpons was pretty candid. They came off genuinely hurt and beaten. Yes, I know the skeptics will cry "alligator tears".

Again, my attempt is not to defens the Wilpons, but to be balanced. Buggs commentary was not that. He has had an obvious ax to grind for many years.

My hope is that the Wilpons slowly bow out, which it seems the wheels are in motion. It just will not happen quickly. For Mets fans, you have to hope they can build from within, which they set in motion last offsesason with the people they hired. They did not have to bring Dipodesto and Ricciardi in-they did. They seem committed to the youth movement.

I wish nothing but good things to Mets fans. The season is better when bother teams are in contention. But suspect Alderson, Depodesta and Ricciardi are there because MLB wants them there during the transition.

I see noway nor reason why anyone would defend Wilpon. he ahd to settle one Ponzi suit in 2007, and yet at that time he didn't stop for a moment and question Madoff? Horsesh*t. In fact he tried to get insurance. Fred is a lying sack of sh*t, Jeff is a spoiled brat tool. The sooner both are gone the better for everyone.

I wish nothing but good things to Mets fans. The season is better when bother teams are in contention. But suspect Alderson, Depodesta and Ricciardi are there because MLB wants them there during the transition.

I see noway nor reason why anyone would defend Wilpon. he ahd to settle one Ponzi suit in 2007, and yet at that time he didn't stop for a moment and question Madoff? Horsesh*t. In fact he tried to get insurance. Fred is a lying sack of sh*t, Jeff is a spoiled brat tool. The sooner both are gone the better for everyone.

I do not disagree with the fact that the Mets would probably be better without them.

They are also due full discoure of the process.

Bugg, I love your posts and passion, but you have certain burrs in your saddle and the Wilpons are chef among those. You can not talk about them objectively, for whatever reason that is personal to you. That is fine, but not fair to objectivity.

Bugg, I love your posts and passion, but you have certain burrs in your saddle and the Wilpons are chef among those. You can not talk about them objectively, for whatever reason that is personal to you. That is fine, but not fair to objectivity.

Scott, as a fellow Mets fan, the f*** are you talking about? Wilpon is the worst thing that has EVER happened to the Mets. And that is saying something. The fact that it takes a Yankee fan pointing this out, and you question it, tells me it is YOU that lacks objectivity on the matter.

Scott, as a fellow Mets fan, the f*** are you talking about? Wilpon is the worst thing that has EVER happened to the Mets. And that is saying something. The fact that it takes a Yankee fan pointing this out, and you question it, tells me it is YOU that lacks objectivity on the matter.

I am not trying to support Wilpon and his right to own the Mets, more so, I am trying to present an objective side to Buggs tirade. That is all.

I hope Einhorn owns the team in 3 years

If you think Wilpon is the wors Mets ownership you don't know your history. Charles Shipman Payson ws horrible and when he turned the keys over to De Roulet, it was the worst period in Met history. MUCH worse than now.

I am not trying to support Wilpon and his right to own the Mets, more so, I am trying to present an objective side to Buggs tirade. That is all.

I hope Einhorn owns the team in 3 years

If you think Wilpon is the wors Mets ownership you don't know your history. Charles Shipman Payson ws horrible and when he turned the keys over to De Roulet, it was the worst period in Met history. MUCH worse than now.

Common thread....both d***ed away tons of resources.

Archived