dolphann4life

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 2011 NBA Finals?

• Miami Heat
    • Dallas Mavericks

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the difference? JiF and TS are both making the argument that the emergence of postmodern dynasties will kill the NBA because they're not as marketable as traditionally constructed teams. Leaving aside the fact that the league isn't a zero-sum game in which every new instance of the former murders and devours an iteration of the latter, this season would appear to indicate that for all the hemming and hawing, people will watch teams they hate just as much as teams they love.

It's always been that way though. We watched the Bad Boy Pistons back in the day for the same reasons. You'd watch to see what Bill Laimbeer would do on a given night. You'd watch to see what Kevin McHale would be throwing at someone in the paint as well. I watched every Knick/Pacer game for because I loved the Knicks, but I hated Reggie Miller probably even more, and still do. The problem is you haven't had villainous teams of this magnitude in forever, and people have just forgotten. The only difference this time around is that it's in the reality television age, so it brings everyone that much closer to the personalities of the game, and Lebron sealed his fate with The Decision. However we've certainly learned that riding out the complete incompetence of Danny Ferry, rather than joining Amare, Rose, or Wade, would have been one of the worst decisions any athlete would have made in the history of the league.

However we've certainly learned that riding out the complete incompetence of Danny Ferry, rather than joining Amare, Rose, or Wade, would have been one of the worst decisions any athlete would have made in the history of the league.

Considering the sheer quantity of words written about LeBron since July, it's amazing how completely overlooked this has been. He's still an assbag though.

BTW, this just came out today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ys-forbes-tiger_worlds_highest_paid_athletes_060111

Lebron's the 3rd highest paid athlete in the world, despite being the 22nd highest paid player in the NBA. That's why he was able to do what he did. Exactly how many players are there in the NBA that can leave an extra $10 million on the table per year in salary alone and not blink an eye about it? Granted he'd probably be #1 on this list had he gone to NY...

What's the difference? JiF and TS are both making the argument that the emergence of postmodern dynasties will kill the NBA because they're not as marketable as traditionally constructed teams. Leaving aside the fact that the league isn't a zero-sum game in which every new instance of the former murders and devours an iteration of the latter, this season would appear to indicate that for all the hemming and hawing, people will watch teams they hate just as much as teams they love.

Thats actually not what I said. I really dont care about the profitability of the NBA. I'm more into the entertainment value and the competitive nature which was awesome in the NBA's hay day, which IMO, there isnt much when you have 1 or 2 teams competing for the same prize every year.

When the NBA was great, it was competitive. Lots of good teams, taking teams better than them to the wire. Thats not the case any more. How many series went 7 games this playoffs?

Awful collapse. We just lost the series. Were not winning 2 in Dallas. I'm ******* disgusted. 15 point lead with 6 to go and we lose and totop it all of i find this video on my facebook page last night.

Wade and Lebron had quite the shadow boxing routine however.

Really dude? More garbage from the media over analyzing the heat. http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/06/mavs-motivated-by-lebron-and-wades-premature-celebration/

Heres the video after Wade hit the 3....it's nothing over the top.

They did that sh*t right in front of the Mavs bench...they collapsed after that. Lebron taking hero shots, no defense...I loved every second of it.

Really dude? More garbage from the media over analyzing the heat. http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/06/mavs-motivated-by-lebron-and-wades-premature-celebration/

Heres the video after Wade hit the 3....it's nothing over the top.

Chandler said in postgame that it had a huge effect on them. Personally I don't see why you need any motivation other than the fact that it's the Finals, but whatever works I guess.

Thats actually not what I said. I really dont care about the profitability of the NBA. I'm more into the entertainment value and the competitive nature which was awesome in the NBA's hay day, which IMO, there isnt much when you have 1 or 2 teams competing for the same prize every year.

When the NBA was great, it was competitive. Lots of good teams, taking teams better than them to the wire. Thats not the case any more. How many series went 7 games this playoffs?

No, this is exactly the case anymore. Just because we haven't seen a Game 7 doesn't mean the playoffs haven't been competitive.

The league's been top heavy for over a decade dude, Miami had nothing to do with it. And this has probably been one of the greatest postseasons ever.

I doubt it bro. All those jumpers that Dallas has been missing are gonna fall when their on the home floor...i just know it.

There's that, but also the notion that it's pretty hard to bounce back from a collapse like that immediately. The Heat have been resilient as hell this season, but to do it in between games going on the road?

Donnie Walsh out as GM of the Knicks.

In the midst of extension rumors too. So happy about this. D'Antoni's rumored to be on the outs and a candidate for the Raptors gig. Thanks for the cap room, adios. Grade for his tenure, C+. The problem is that he was preceded by two F minuses which made him seem like a savior.

In the midst of extension rumors too. So happy about this. D'Antoni's rumored to be on the outs and a candidate for the Raptors gig. Thanks for the cap room, adios. Grade for his tenure, C+. The problem is that he was preceded by two F minuses which made him seem like a savior.

Hopefully they're on the phone with Phil Jackson as we speak.

Hopefully they're on the phone with Phil Jackson as we speak.

I really think Jackson's done. He can barely walk at this point. I think the Knicks will reach out to him, but Simmons wrote a good article on why Jackson's likely done forever and it was pretty convincing. Mullin and Houston are probably the leading candidates for Donnie's replacement, and the coaching gig is anyone's guess really. I think the tabloids are going to spin the hell out of a Zeke return, and you will probably too, but I don't think it'll happen. I think this is a decision based more on the fact that this team should have been a lot better than it is by now. Dolan gave Walsh an open checkbook and 3 years to put a winner on the floor. In exchange he received several bumbled draft picks, the Lebron fiasco (which included basically sacrificing 2 full seasons to clear cap room for their pitch), and finally having to get the Melo deal practically done on his own because Walsh couldn't swing it.

Archived