Transgender student makes history on prom night... Florida teen is first transgender person to be prom queen at a U.S. public school

THE ILK

andrew+viveros.jpg

By Christina Hernandez

NBCMIAMI.com

Just about every girl growing up dreams of being prom queen.

So did Andrew Viveros, who had his wish become a reality when he was crowned McFatter High School's prom queen Friday night.

Viveros, who for the past two years has gone by the name Andii, is a transgender who fought to get his name on the prom queen ballot. He is the first transgender to be named prom queen at a public school in the United States.

"I was in shock," Viveros said. "I was just smiling."

Viveros received the most votes over 14 girls for the coveted title at the Davie, Fla., technical school.

A few students didn't think Viveros should have been allowed to compete for the title and started a petition to get his name off the ballot for prom queen.

Viveros, who is also president of the school's Gay-Straight Alliance, wrote a speech to explain why he had a right to run.

"Why would I run for prom king? I'll have to wear a tux, which I'm not going to do," Viveros said. "I'm going to wear an evening gown."

The prom king, Juan Macias, is also a member of the Gay-Straight Alliance.

Viveros' parents were also proud of their child's accomplishment.

He's my child and I'm going to love him no matter what," Viveros' mom, Bernadette Viveros said.

Now, Andii hopes his crown and sash helps pave the way for other teens like him.

"It can open up doors for others who don't have a lot of encouragement," Viveros said.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43230133/ns/today-today_people/t/transgender-student-makes-history-prom-night/?gt1=43001

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

andrew+viveros.jpg

By Christina Hernandez

NBCMIAMI.com

Just about every girl growing up dreams of being prom queen.

So did Andrew Viveros, who had his wish become a reality when he was crowned McFatter High School's prom queen Friday night.

Viveros, who for the past two years has gone by the name Andii, is a transgender who fought to get his name on the prom queen ballot. He is the first transgender to be named prom queen at a public school in the United States.

"I was in shock," Viveros said. "I was just smiling."

Viveros received the most votes over 14 girls for the coveted title at the Davie, Fla., technical school.

A few students didn't think Viveros should have been allowed to compete for the title and started a petition to get his name off the ballot for prom queen.

Viveros, who is also president of the school's Gay-Straight Alliance, wrote a speech to explain why he had a right to run.

"Why would I run for prom king? I'll have to wear a tux, which I'm not going to do," Viveros said. "I'm going to wear an evening gown."

The prom king, Juan Macias, is also a member of the Gay-Straight Alliance.

Viveros' parents were also proud of their child's accomplishment.

He's my child and I'm going to love him no matter what," Viveros' mom, Bernadette Viveros said.

Now, Andii hopes his crown and sash helps pave the way for other teens like him.

"It can open up doors for others who don't have a lot of encouragement," Viveros said.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43230133/ns/today-today_people/t/transgender-student-makes-history-prom-night/?gt1=43001

Best school ever.

I'm to old to be in High School, BJ. But I fully support this very attractive young lady.

Congrats!!!

Being the Queen of McFatter is truly an accomplishment.

If I had a time machine i would be a graduate of McFatter high. Best high School name ever.

Yawn. Tech school prom? ******* tech school? Wake me up when this bitch gets crowned at Eastside High or something. Mediocre accomplishment doesn't even begin to describe what this is. Hey tranny, you're in tech school because you're stupid and ugly, and your prom's fake.

And who gives a sh*t that she's a tranny anyways? It's South Florida. The gayest place on EARTH. Literally, and figuratively too, but way more literally.

Good for them and good for the kids in the school.. the ones protesting are hate monger idiots

I agree, although I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the kids who voted for her/him did so as a joke.

Good for them and good for the kids in the school.. the ones protesting are hate monger idiots

And I just thought that "male" and "female" were the only designations we needed. How silly of me, I didn't know I was a hate monger.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. A drag queen was elected Prom Queen for George Mason University a few years back (http://www.aolnews.com/2009/02/21/homecoming-drag-queen-honored-at-george-mason-basketball-game/). What a crazy world we live in. Reminds me of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJiHp-2CmVY

Yawn. Tech school prom? ******* tech school? Wake me up when this bitch gets crowned at Eastside High or something. Mediocre accomplishment doesn't even begin to describe what this is. Hey tranny, you're in tech school because you're stupid and ugly, and your prom's fake.

And who gives a sh*t that she's a tranny anyways? It's South Florida. The gayest place on EARTH. Literally, and figuratively too, but way more literally.

Tranny and gay dudes in tech school? WTF is this world coming to?

Get back to Cosmetology and Fashion school where you belong you damn weirdo's!!!!

And I just thought that "male" and "female" were the only designations we needed. How silly of me, I didn't know I was a hate monger.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. A drag queen was elected Prom Queen for George Mason University a few years back (http://www.aolnews.com/2009/02/21/homecoming-drag-queen-honored-at-george-mason-basketball-game/). What a crazy world we live in. Reminds me of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJiHp-2CmVY

Why does it matter? This person is a human being too, somebodies son/daughter :D.. Just like it's not cool to discriminate based on color/religion/sexuality/etc, they should be afforded the same rights..

I think the younger generation showing more tolerance is good, i went to a high school where white kids regularly beat up/abused the small minority of black kids and they got millitant... it sucked

I agree, although I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the kids who voted for her/him did so as a joke.

Of course it is. This isn't a gay victory, it's a mock. Kind of like when I was in HS and we elected the 300 pound school pump class president. School disallowed it. Clearly this administration has a better sense of humor

Why does it matter? This person is a human being too, somebodies son/daughter :D.. Just like it's not cool to discriminate based on color/religion/sexuality/etc, they should be afforded the same rights..

I think the younger generation showing more tolerance is good, i went to a high school where white kids regularly beat up/abused the small minority of black kids and they got millitant... it sucked

I would be fine with the kid running.....for Prom King.

I'm not cool with this vague gender stuff going on. Either you're born male or female in my mind, and those who say "I FEEL like a woman" when born male, or vice versa, are pushing the envelope.

I'm not one to say you shouldn't do what you want, nor do I want to remove their rights and privileges, but to me its ridiculous, and I for one would never take someone seriously when they swap genders. And if this school wants to embarrass itself by doing this, have at it. Sucks for the ACTUAL females who really wanted to win too.

I don't think its a good idea to have multiple other options when it comes to Male/Female. I've even heard of universities opting to go with unisex bathrooms because of this movement. Pretty crazy stuff.

Of course he's a human being...but its his choice to dress up as a girl. I could see why an actual 17 year old girl would be annoyed at this.

In the long run who gives a sh*t, but these high schoolers take this stuff seriously.

My kids know a transgender girl -> boy in their school. Kid is super smart, talented, motivated, and is absolutely sure that she is a he. At 17, he's going for "top surgery" this summer to have his boobs removed. I give his folks a lot of credit, as liberal as I am with my kids, I'm pretty confident I'd make them wait until they were at least 18 for something so radical.

I feel for these kids. I'm glad they have actual communities within their schools - outside of being the club of kids who get beaten on everyday.

Now people see my lifestyle choice as being deviant, Im used to it. But this person is NOT a woman YET. Until he gets a fake vagina and some titties he's still a man. He shouldnt have been added to the ballot. How is that fair to the REAL females @ that school. Now if he were a post- op I'd have no problem with it, but hes still a dude with a schlong and a pair of nuts.

My kids know a transgender girl -> boy in their school. Kid is super smart, talented, motivated, and is absolutely sure that she is a he. At 17, he's going for "top surgery" this summer to have his boobs removed. I give his folks a lot of credit, as liberal as I am with my kids, I'm pretty confident I'd make them wait until they were at least 18 for something so radical.

I feel for these kids. I'm glad they have actual communities within their schools - outside of being the club of kids who get beaten on everyday.

Wow, I honestly have no idea how I would react to my kid confronting me with this. Parents deserve credit and sympathy. Tuff.

Wow, I honestly have no idea how I would react to my kid confronting me with this. Parents deserve credit and sympathy. Tuff.

"He" is their only daughter to go with two sons, too. Has to be amazingly hard on them. I know the mom pretty well (the parents are divorced making everything tougher), and she's a very cool lady who's taking it very well - on the outside, at least. Extremely supportive.

See, I disagree. I don't think it's discriminatory at all to say, 'you can't be prom queen because you have a cock.' That would be like me, RJF the Internet poster, protesting about how I couldn't play in the WNBA if I wanted to. Not that I do, I'm just saying that I'd ****in dominate those bitches of you stuck me on that court.

See, I disagree. I don't think it's discriminatory at all to say, 'you can't be prom queen because you have a cock.' That would be like me, RJF the Internet poster, protesting about how I couldn't play in the WNBA if I wanted to. Not that I do, I'm just saying that I'd ****in dominate those bitches of you stuck me on that court.

school is a public institution, wnba isn't..

in any event, it doesn't matter that much to me

I'm not cool with this vague gender stuff going on. Either you're born male or female in my mind, and those who say "I FEEL like a woman" when born male, or vice versa, are pushing the envelope.

I'm not one to say you shouldn't do what you want, nor do I want to remove their rights and privileges, but to me its ridiculous, and I for one would never take someone seriously when they swap genders. And if this school wants to embarrass itself by doing this, have at it. Sucks for the ACTUAL females who really wanted to win too.

I don't think its a good idea to have multiple other options when it comes to Male/Female. I've even heard of universities opting to go with unisex bathrooms because of this movement. Pretty crazy stuff.

Since I personally don't know what it feels like to be transgendered, I don't think it'd be fair of me to not take them seriously just because I can't comprehend what they're going through. All I know is I don't think they're taking it lightly at all ... coming out seems like it would be a huge decision, especially if you're doing something as public as running for prom queen. Not to mention those who go through with surgeries, etc.

Also see no problem with unisex bathrooms. My college had them (in addition to the regular bathrooms). I just used whichever one was closest.

I would be fine with the kid running.....for Prom King.

Have you ever talked to someone who identifies as transgendered? Even once?

Archived