Transgender student makes history on prom night... Florida teen is first transgender person to be prom queen at a U.S. public school

THE ILK

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

andrew+viveros.jpg

By Christina Hernandez

NBCMIAMI.com

Just about every girl growing up dreams of being prom queen.

So did Andrew Viveros, who had his wish become a reality when he was crowned McFatter High School's prom queen Friday night.

Viveros, who for the past two years has gone by the name Andii, is a transgender who fought to get his name on the prom queen ballot. He is the first transgender to be named prom queen at a public school in the United States.

"I was in shock," Viveros said. "I was just smiling."

Viveros received the most votes over 14 girls for the coveted title at the Davie, Fla., technical school.

A few students didn't think Viveros should have been allowed to compete for the title and started a petition to get his name off the ballot for prom queen.

Viveros, who is also president of the school's Gay-Straight Alliance, wrote a speech to explain why he had a right to run.

"Why would I run for prom king? I'll have to wear a tux, which I'm not going to do," Viveros said. "I'm going to wear an evening gown."

The prom king, Juan Macias, is also a member of the Gay-Straight Alliance.

Viveros' parents were also proud of their child's accomplishment.

He's my child and I'm going to love him no matter what," Viveros' mom, Bernadette Viveros said.

Now, Andii hopes his crown and sash helps pave the way for other teens like him.

"It can open up doors for others who don't have a lot of encouragement," Viveros said.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43230133/ns/today-today_people/t/transgender-student-makes-history-prom-night/?gt1=43001

Im not surprised. This is a "Lady Gaga" world now isnt it? These kids are growing up confused as hell.

My mom used to dress me up as a train conductor. I still get wood when Thomas the Tank Engine plays on PBS.

Holy crap, train conductor was the first Halloween costume I remember wearing and I was a HUGE Thomas the Tank Engine fan. High five.

Im not surprised. This is a "Lady Gaga" world now isnt it? These kids are growing up confused as hell.

but

she would have grown up in the 90's ;)

blame madonna I guess ? Bowie ? Boy George ? annie lennox ? sinead ?

It takes more than a pop star to make someone change thier gender I imagine

I see no reason to hate for any reason. (I do hate Chowds though) Funny how some like to bash gays, but the fact is we are a Free country thanks to a General who was Gay during the American Revolution.

So he was not gay before and after the American Revolution?

but

she would have grown up in the 90's ;)

blame madonna I guess ? Bowie ? Boy George ? annie lennox ? sinead ?

It takes more than a pop star to make someone change thier gender I imagine

True, in not necessarily blaming Gaga, She's an entertainer, which is saying alot when entertainers have more control over the children than the parents do. I used her name because the way that she's blatantly out there is in representation to how blatant it is in society. Now dont get me wrong, im not judging anyone, im simply observing. And trust me, im not a genius; and with that said it doesnt take a genius to know that this social media is causing massive confusion.

I've never seen so many feminine boys in my life. These male teenagers are soft, and I dont mean reserved, thats different. I mean they have feminine tendencies which as a man I can see plain as day. And these little girls show everything. They walk around in skin tights and have the nerve to call them "pants". The parents let them walk out the door like that.

All you can do is shake your head at the nonsense. I dont listen to any of todays crap. and I've learnt that the sh*t I grew up with (madonna etc.) was crap too....but its really bad today I must admit.

For your son to have a sex change and isnt even out of highschool....what does that tell you? he's not old enough to live on his own, work, support himself, but he's able to get a sex change? That sh_t is nothing but the influence and obvious lack of parenting.

Archived