Why do some people have better lives then others?

GlennFoley

Can you really say its all hardwork? Do you really think life is what you make of it?

In society's terms these days; to be successful you must get a girl(for a guy) get a good job, and make lot of $..

Can anyone do this? What about the people who weren't born with the greatest looks or the greatest brains? Or the greatest family(financially)? Where does society send them? Ill tell you... They send them to Iraq to fight for the kids who are good looking, smart, and rich....

Something tells me that unless I prove that I can be a very good pro boxer that I am going to end up in Iraq next year.. Sure I have a girlfriend, but I ain't the best looking or the richest, and probably closer to the dumbest then the smartest..

So what does that mean? That means that society is going throw me under the rug(Iraq) and praise the school athletes, rich, and smart kids...

Why do they have scholarships for swimming and not for boxing? I'll tell you... because the men of the 21's centrury are the equivalent to woman of the 20th century...

Can you really say its all hardwork? Do you really think life is what you make of it?

In society's terms these days; to be successful you must get a girl(for a guy) get a good job, and make lot of $..

Can anyone do this? What about the people who weren't born with the greatest looks or the greatest brains? Or the greatest family(financially)? Where does society send them? Ill tell you... They send them to Iraq to fight for the kids who are good looking, smart, and rich....

Something tells me that unless I prove that I can be a very good pro boxer that I am going to end up in Iraq next year.. Sure I have a girlfriend, but I ain't the best looking or the richest, and probably closer to the dumbest then the smartest..

So what does that mean? That means that society is going throw me under the rug(Iraq) and praise the school athletes, rich, and smart kids...

Why do they have scholarships for swimming and not for boxing? I'll tell you... because the men of the 21's centrury are the equivalent to woman of the 20th century...

Interesting post glen. My wife & I were sitting on our patio last night & were wishing for the good ole days when we were young & didn't have much money but we worked together trying to achieve a good life for ourselves. We're of the opinion that we invested too much time in work & climbing the success ladder & never invested enough time in ourselves & what really makes us happy.

I build condo's for the extremely wealthy & I have had many dealings with millionaires these last 20 years or so. Believe me when I tell you $$$$ doesn't buy happiness. while some are really great people many are miserable humans & think everyone is after their money. I have jamaican laborers much happier & content than many millionaires. I also have them who think the world owes them a living.

Do not go thru life thinking the grass is greener on the other side & that soceity has dealt you a bad hand.

go to the mall & see if you can spot the happy couples at any age. they are usually not the best looking & I venture to say are overweight most of the time.

just an observation by someone much older than yourself searching for the same thing.........happiness & contentment............trust me when I tell you it is not all about money

Glenn,

If you end up in Iraq it's because you, like the rest of those over there, volunteered. No one is forcing people into the military although I will agree that some young people's financial predicaments may make them do something along the lines of joining up. being young and trying to get it all together is rough brother and I don't envy you, but a lot of us have been there before. I myself did 4 years in the Army as an Artillery officer after getting the Army to pay for my college. Did I want to go in the Army? hell no, I wanted Air Force all the way. But along came the money and the Army I went. I did my time, deployed to Bosnia and Kosovo and I'm a better man for it. I come from an average middle class family, nothing more, nothing less.

We've all bee there bro and we know you can do it. Boxing is a rough sport to be in these days. What was once easily one of the best and most popular spectator sports in America was hijacked and thrown to the dogs by the likes of Don King and other crooks. The lack of boxing scholarships is a direct offshoot of the sport losing almost all of its importance in the overall American sports world.

All you can do is stick to your dreams and make the best of every opportunity. If your will is there like I think it is, it will all come together.

Your failures are not society's fault.

Don't want to go to Iraq? Don't sign up.

It sounds like the last place you want to go is Iraq and I can't blame you. Look man, you have the world at your feet. You have your health (you are obviously in shape being a boxer), you have a girl (and at your age girls are waaaaay overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love the ladies but at 18 there are more things to focus on) but as you have a girl you are obviously a decent guy, and you have time on YOUR side. Approaching 20 is a wierd time. I remember it and was thinking that I had to rush through college, get educated and then get married. Truth is, just do what you want to do and like to do. I graduated and rushed into a Masters at UMass. Rushing into the Masters was a bad move on my part, but it brought me to the this country where I eventually found my wife and also allowed my brother to visit and now he has family here. So what I'm trying to say is that even if you make a choice that you feel pressured into and or rush into then it doesn't matter as good can still come from it. And I believe life is what you make of it but don;t get too caught up in chasing money or women. Go with the flow. Some can't and need to chase and go flat out. All power to them. But we're all different and if you don't chase the $$$ it doesn't make you any less of a man. And a good woman will see that no matter what, so you still end up getting the girl! 8)

Go into boxing, see where it takes you. But don't feel the military is your only other option. It's not.

Glenn, it's all about perception.

Somewhere there is a rich guy, who can buy any women in the world but wish he was a boxer so he could kick his cousin a$$.

Fight hard for what you want and enjoy what you have been given.

Awesome point! Seriously people want what they can't have instead of just appreciating what they do have.

Everyone of us has something to be thankful for. Just wake up each day and appreciate life. We complicate things for ourselves.

Glenn,

Only you can make yourself happy. Money, skirts, the Jets, looks, none of that can do it. All those things can do is mask the symptoms of unhappiness for a while - hide them from you.

You're not going to Iraq if you don't want to go. No matter how dumb you think you are, there are tens of millions of people dumber. And the ones who aren't dumber may very well be lazier, or less driven. What you think you lack in ability, make up with effort. I know people who are brilliant that got rejected from bad colleges, and I know people who are dim who got accepted into great ones. I'm no genius, but I got into a great school because I wanted to and refused to fail. Effort - that was what separated me, not ability or good fortune. No matter how much money you have, someone will have more. No matter how good-looking you are, someone will be more. No matter how smart you are, someone will be smarter. No one wins, no one "has it all" no matter how it seems to you.

YOU and you alone are what determine the direction of your life. If you are worried about these things, just simply REFUSE TO FAIL. It's that easy. Day in and day out, you have to refuse to fail. You need to find something that makes you happy and go with it. Money comes and money goes, but true happiness is real wealth. We're out here on this spinning pebble in the sky, and we have a very short time to live. Don't waste your precious time dwelling on your shortcomings, utilize your precious moments to find people you truly love, things you truly enjoy and don't worry about getting into a pissing contest with the Joneses.

Good luck my friend!

Glenn,

Only you can make yourself happy. Money, skirts, the Jets, looks, none of that can do it. All those things can do is mask the symptoms of unhappiness for a while - hide them from you.

You're not going to Iraq if you don't want to go. No matter how dumb you think you are, there are tens of millions of people dumber. And the ones who aren't dumber may very well be lazier, or less driven. What you think you lack in ability, make up with effort. I know people who are brilliant that got rejected from bad colleges, and I know people who are dim who got accepted into great ones. I'm no genius, but I got into a great school because I wanted to and refused to fail. Effort - that was what separated me, not ability or good fortune. No matter how much money you have, someone will have more. No matter how good-looking you are, someone will be more. No matter how smart you are, someone will be smarter. No one wins, no one "has it all" no matter how it seems to you.

YOU and you alone are what determine the direction of your life. If you are worried about these things, just simply REFUSE TO FAIL. It's that easy. Day in and day out, you have to refuse to fail. You need to find something that makes you happy and go with it. Money comes and money goes, but true happiness is real wealth. We're out here on this spinning pebble in the sky, and we have a very short time to live. Don't waste your precious time dwelling on your shortcomings, utilize your precious moments to find people you truly love, things you truly enjoy and don't worry about getting into a pissing contest with the Joneses.

Good luck my friend!

Herm??

career advice: a sissy like you would make a lousy boxer....

who is sending you to iraq? thats gonna be all your dumb fault when islamists are making videos with you. there is no draft, so signing up is stupid. what you cant get a job like th rest of us? max isnt very good looking but he owns his own website, you know.

steam clean that gina, find a job and snap out of it son

Dude - it's a great thing you can open up and express your feelings, fears, and uncertainty about the future. Believe it or not it shows real courage. It's those without courage that put on like they have it all figured out. It sounds like you have your health and you've got enough smarts to go online with a computer - you do have the world by the tail. If you're not a great student - don't mistakenly think you're not smart. Some of the most clueless people I know have the most education. My daughter just joined the army after 2 years and 4 different majors at a state college - none of which she liked and therefore didn't do well at them. Then she went to cullinary school got a job as a chef and found out she probably wouldn't have another night or weekend free the rest of her career - for a whopping $32 G's a year. I wish I had half her intelligence, she scored a 29 on her college entrance exams and could have gone into anything she wanted to. I think the army is going to be a great thing for her and they gave her a small fortune to sign up. It doesn't have to be your deal though. One thing I can tell you from knocking around the business world for a few years is - technology wins 100% of the time. Look to get into something in communications, the many different aspects of the computer field, or transportation. You don't have to start off as the guy designing the new software or widget. Most progressive companies will pay for you to go to school if your street smarts are better than your grades were. Most importantly on money and wealth - I'll never say having money isn't important. You have to have some of it to live, but as others have mentioned here, it doesn't have a lot to do with your happiness. I've had lots of it and at times I've had little of it. The times with lots of it were far from my happiest times. It's a tough concept to grab at my age, let alone your age, but this fact is really true - It's not having what you want that makes you happy - it's wanting what you have.

One last thing - a person that spends a lot of time focusing on what they don't have but others do and resents the cards they were dealt, is up for a real crap life. The people who don't worry about such things and do what they need to do to get ahead - and are grateful - are the happiest. Fact.

Good luck Buddy.

max isnt very good looking but he owns his own website, you know.

Bro that is simply not fair. If you are going to list the things I have to overcome my intelligence (or lack there of) can NOT be discounted.

Let's be fair here. My looks hold me back, no doubt. But that is just ONE of the things I deal with on a daily basis!

Bro that is simply not fair. If you are going to list the things I have to overcome my intelligence (or lack there of) can NOT be discounted.

Let's be fair here. My looks hold me back, no doubt. But that is just ONE of the things I deal with on a daily basis!

...Your handsome Max...great inside and out. Glen your in a place where all of us here have been. Your trying to find yourself and your concerned about your future. You'll be fine as long as you remember to be yourself and to not hold resentment and spite for others. That will always hold you back. And like a few here have said...money doesn't always make you happy. I know a few with money that are just as miserable as they want to be. I don't have much money. I make enough to support myself and a fairly good lifestyle. Im happy and content though. I have my family, my friends, my health and I have faith that has seen me through it all. And lastly, you don't have to go to Iraq love. That will be a choice all your own. I must say though, don't join the army or any other service just for the money or because thats the only way you think you can get ahead...it'll never work. A girlfriend of mine did that. She credits the Navy only with giving her structure and discipline...which she needed...but she really didnt want to be there. money was the motive..she has some now, but she's somewhere she doesn't want to be. You can find yourself without doing that. And now I'll make you smile, when in doubt, lissten to what Newjetster said...I don't know if Im making sense right now or not. I hope everything works out for you and you find your nitch.

Mr. Foley:

I thought about this some more. And it is not fair.

People like Jets28 have it all. Traveling the world, popularity, money, fame and fortune.

While you and I struggle just to get by. I used to think it all balanced out somehow but now I realize it simply doesn't add up.

When you figure out what to do about it, you let me know! Thanks. :evil:

:mrgreen:

Regardless of what happens, remember this: "The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes."

(Charles R. Swindoll)

Carry on, young grasshopper.....

In society's terms these days; to be successful you must get a girl(for a guy) get a good job, and make lot of $

I think the crux of the issue is that you have to start defining success for yourself, rather than letting society define it for you. If success to you is how you define it above, go out and chase it best you can.

Maybe its an age thing, but my definition of success is having a job I enjoy, making enough of a living to be comfortable (not necessarily making "a lot of $"), maintaining relationships with family and friends, and being in a relationship with a woman that hopefully has a future (not just "getting a girl").

The other posters here most definately have their own definitions of success that will differ from mine.

Personally, I've been hired and fired, had years where Ive made more money, years where Ive made less. Ive lost family and friends, and gained new family and friends. And as others have mentioned, the years Ive made more money weren't always my happiest - they were stressful and involved a lot of long hours.

You're a boxer - you know its not about how many times you get knocked down...its about how many times you get back up and answer the bell.

if money the issue take a loan out for a small inexpensive community college (if you graduated high school there is some school tha twill take you).

That will keep you out of Iraq and wont be much to pay off low interest FAFSA loans. You dont have to repay until 6 months after graduation and you have like mucho years to pay back.

Mr. Foley:

I thought about this some more. And it is not fair.

People like Jets28 have it all. Traveling the world, popularity, money, fame and fortune.

While you and I struggle just to get by. I used to think it all balanced out somehow but now I realize it simply doesn't add up.

When you figure out what to do about it, you let me know! Thanks. :evil:

:mrgreen:

... :lol::lol: ...don't have this young man thinking I have a glamorous life. It's not that at all, but I love where I am and I love myself and my family and friends. One of which used to be you... :shock::lol: ...but thats whats important to me. Being happy, comfortable, and being loved. Money is always nice but not the end all be all. Take a page from Die Hard... :wink: , he hit it on the head with how you approach life and your attitude I firmly believe in that...and Black Label said it also...It's the relationships you make and hold onto as well as defining success for yourself. Good luck to you Glenn. I remember these times at your age. You will become comfortable with yourself. God Bless you.

It's not that at all, but I love where I am and I love myself and my family and friends. ...but thats whats important to me. Being happy, comfortable, and being loved. Money is always nice but not the end all be all.

Black Label said it also...It's the relationships you make and hold onto as well as defining success for yourself. Good luck to you Glenn. I remember these times at your age. You will become comfortable with yourself. God Bless you.

jets 28 I could not have said it better!!!!!!!! =D> =D>

life is what YOU make it!!!!! :)

jets 28 I could not have said it better!!!!!!!! =D> =D>

life is what YOU make it!!!!! :)

.. :oops::oops::mrgreen: ..Thanks JFBM..I just try to be a good person and enjoy this thing called life. And having good people is apart of it for me. I love you guys here but that Max has got to go... :shock: ...trying to make my life look glamorous. Now the life of a weblord.. [-o< . I wish I had that. Makes mine pale in comparison.. :lol:

because some people spend time trying to improve their lot rather than incessantly spewing out "woe is me" sh*t. dude you're like 17 or 18-- you don't even know difficulties yet. wait until you have a family to feed then you can't spend all day trying to make a martyr out of yourself-- sack up and quit being a ho. weakest damn boxer i ever saw.

(EDIT: for the record, foley is kidding, right?)

Archived