Who should NYJ bring back  

79 members have voted

1. 1. The NYJ can only bring back one receiver

• Edwards
    • Holmes

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holmes is a self-centered, egotistical, finger pointing, complaining B!TCH. If i would have got the ball more in the AFC Championship game WHAAA! He has no common sense 52 player on the roster and for some reason he is allays involved with some bull sh*t. Sure BE got pinched ( Brick could have displayed better judgment by not being in the truck with him) but he has keep his nose clean since and appears to be focused.

a$$ hole just take the ear buds out.. No way i pay that cat long money.

Mr. T bring back B.E.!

My brain says Holmes, my fear that Holmes' THC level is currently in the triple digits makes me vote Edwards.

So, you admit you're a pussy? Nothing new there.

Holmes is a self-centered, egotistical, finger pointing, complaining B!TCH. If i would have got the ball more in the AFC Championship game WHAAA! He has no common sense 52 player on the roster and for some reason he is allays involved with some bull sh*t. Sure BE got pinched ( Brick could have displayed better judgment by not being in the truck with him) but he has keep his nose clean since and appears to be focused.

a$$ hole just take the ear buds out.. No way i pay that cat long money.

Mr. T bring back B.E.!

As opposed to other great WR, who are never prima donnas.

As opposed to other great WR, who are never prima donnas.

1st off i don't post allot but I usually agree with about 90% of the stuff you post but you are missing the point. Do you really want to give a long term WR1 contract to a guy this is on positive test away from missing a season?

The Question is who would you prefer. Not only would I prefer him I think he is the better and more dependable WR and the stats support that. I like his attitude, He is a GREAT blocker he sprung many big running play this year, he wants to be be a Jet said so and said was willing to take a discount to do so. Holmes all ready is working at distancing himself from the team.

No he is in the middle of this gaming sh*t. F him!

Mr.T bring back BE!

He is a GREAT blocker he sprung many big running play this year,

+1. A much overlooked aspect. LaDainian Tomlinson didn't have his career renaissance just on his own. Getting rid of Edwards will hurt us in the running game, guaranteed.

the only people who think Edwards is better than Holmes is NY Jets fans.

The rest of the league KNOWS Holmes is better.

He's got a ring (super bowl mvp), he's got way more big plays, he's in the top 100. Edwards has none of these things.

You can replace Edwards far easier. Patrick Turner could be Braylon Edwards. Logan Payne could be Braylon Edwards. There is no easy replacement for a gamebreaker deep threat like Holmes.

and as a side note Holmes smoking weed X years ago doesn't equal Edwards getting cuffed for DUI in October.... and assaulting a CLE fan etc.

People are all worred about Holmes, you should be worried about Edwards. Holmes might be more likely to be suspended, Edwards is more likely to serve time.

He's got a ring (super bowl mvp), he's got way more big plays, he's in the top 100. Edwards has none of these things.

You can replace Edwards far easier. Patrick Turner could be Braylon Edwards. Logan Payne could be Braylon Edwards. There is no easy replacement for a gamebreaker deep threat like Holmes.

and as a side note Holmes smoking weed X years ago doesn't equal Edwards getting cuffed for DUI in October.... and assaulting a CLE fan etc.

People are all worred about Holmes, you should be worried about Edwards. Holmes might be more likely to be suspended, Edwards is more likely to serve time.

And it's official, you've officially lost any and all credibility you've ever had around here. What a ******* joke. Patrick Turner or Logan Payne could be Braylon Edwards? You did not seriously say that. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about whatsoever. None. I've disagreed with you on plenty of things before and that's one thing, but you've turned yourself into a joke with this topic. You're as bad as the worst Penningtologists on their worst day with this. It's not enough to throw out vague comments about why Holmes is unquestionably the best, with absolutely zero attempt to support it with anything concrete, you also need to go to ridiculous lengths to trash Edwards in the process just to make Holmes look better by comparison.

For some reason I just dont trust Holmes...Not that I know him but I can see him causing contriversy for whoever signs him to that big contract. BE seems like he is a company man these days. more mature.

Edwards just loves being in the Big City. He doesn't ever want to go back to the Cleveland's, or Buffalo's of the league.

He'll still play hard after his contract in NYC, he wants to stay

Patrick Turner could be Braylon Edwards. Logan Payne could be Braylon Edwards. There is no easy replacement for a gamebreaker deep threat like Holmes.

Edwards is not a deep threat?

Seems to me Edwards has caught a lot of deep balls since he's been here.

I'd prefer Edwards, but I really want both back. Or at least one of the two.

Also I think the bitonti plan has something to it. Patrick Turner=Braylon Edwards because they are both tall. Therefore, Scotty Mcknight=Santonio Holmes because they are both around the same size. It's science.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about whatsoever. None. I've disagreed with you on plenty of things before and that's one thing, but you've turned yourself into a joke with this topic.

jeez tell me what you really think.

by the way Holmes went to Camp Lockout... Edwards didn't.

http://www.espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/5687/thoughts-on-camp-lockout

Edwards is not a deep threat?

Seems to me Edwards has caught a lot of deep balls since he's been here.

Don't be ridiculous, while Edwards had 2.8 more YPC, 3 more catches of 20+ yards, 2 more catches of 40+ yards and a long catch 22 yards longer than Santonio's, he's clearly replaceable by JAG Practice Squad players and Holmes is an elite irreplaceable deep threat.

jeez tell me what you really think.

by the way Holmes went to Camp Lockout... Edwards didn't.

http://www.espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/5687/thoughts-on-camp-lockout

Glad to hear it. I think I've made it clear I want both guys back, so I'm more than happy to see Holmes is making that effort. Although I'm sure you saw it as inconsiquential when the opposite was true for Jets West, right?

As far as my comments, how exactly do you expect anyone to take you remotely seriously when you're trashing Edwards to make your point and comparing him to practice squad / camp fodder nobodies? Regardless of what you think of Holmes vs Edwards, that stance is really indefensible. You're either trying to troll or... I don't know what.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:54 AM

Drop Percentage

May 23rd, 2011 | Author: Khaled Elsayed

We’ve recently been running a series of articles, breaking down aspects of player performance, and next up we’re looking at wide receivers. Following on from an article we did last year, it seemed a good place to start would be in breaking down the drop issues wide receivers have.

Now the drop stat in itself is an interesting one. A glance can suggest which receivers have the more questionable hands in the league, but it’s not exactly fair to class all guys with 12 drops, for example, together. After all, one could have 24 receptions, and the other 124.

So in one of our simpler metric type articles, we’re bringing you our Drop Percentage for all receivers who had at least 50 catchable balls thrown their way (catchable balls determined by just adding together the number of receptions and drops).

Dependable in 2010

It’s not shocking to see that up near the top, we have a couple of guys who do most of their damage in catching shorter, underneath routes. Still, you have to give credit to Jordan Shipley and Earl Bennett for holding onto everything thrown their way. That’s the kind of dependency that should make life a lot easier for a potential rookie starter at quarterback in Cincinnati, and you would think it might make Jay Cutler seem a little less erratic.

When discussing the top receivers in a list like this, you’re never far from mentioning Larry Fitzgerald. Despite dealing with some terrible quarterback play that wasn’t just inaccurate, but would lead you into harms way often, Fitzgerald did more than you’d expect most mortals to do by dropping only three of the 90 catchable balls thrown his way. This was good enough for fourth, behind another guy who always finishes highly on this list, Kevin Walter.

Indeed, with their two best receivers in the top fifteen, you can’t argue the Texans aren’t helping out Matt Schaub in this regard. Walter has become one of the league’s most reliable targets, while Andre Johnson eliminated some of the drops that had always been a part of his game. Somehow Johnson managed to improve this season, and he did so on an injured ankle.

Elsewhere in the Top 10, you have a couple more guys who play mainly in the slot (Mike Thomas and Eddie Royal), and perhaps more surprisingly, one of the leagues’ best deep threats in 2010, Brandon Lloyd. The catches tend to be a bit harder the further downfield you go, but Lloyd displayed a previously unseen consistency to make plays on balls that you didn’t think he had any right to.

Just outside the top ten is a name that will surprise a few, Braylon Edwards. The New York Jet developed a reputation for drops after a 2008 that saw his star fall in Cleveland. He didn’t help himself with the odd terrible (but highly publicized) drop in 2009 and even now the label of a guy with bad hands sticks (every drop of his receives more press time than other top guys). Remarkable then that he only dropped four balls all year, a better rate than either of the other Jets to make this list. The ever excellent Santonio Holmes dropped eight balls and finished in 42nd, while the normally reliable Jerricho Cotchery put 10 on the ground for the third worst number in the league. Edwards’ name will come up later, making his improvement in New York all the more stark.

Wide Receivers, Top 15 Drop Percentage, 2010

Rank Player Team Receptions Drops Catchable Drop %

1 Jordan Shipley CIN 52 0 52 0.00%

2 Earl Bennett CHI 50 0 50 0.00%

3 Kevin Walter HST 51 1 52 1.92%

4 Larry Fitzgerald ARZ 90 3 93 3.23%

5 Eddie Royal DEN 59 2 61 3.28%

6 Lance Moore NO 70 3 73 4.11%

7 Mario Manningham NYG 60 3 63 4.76%

8 Brandon Lloyd DEN 77 4 81 4.94%

9 Anquan Boldin BLT 70 4 74 5.41%

10t Mike Thomas JAX 66 4 70 5.71%

10t Deion Branch NE 66 4 70 5.71%

12t Braylon Edwards NYJ 62 4 66 6.06%

12t Derrick Mason BLT 62 4 66 6.06%

14 Austin Collie IND 58 4 62 6.45%

15 Andre Johnson HST 86 6 92 6.52%

Things weren’t all good, and now we’re getting into dropping some criticism on players. While he may be as scary a deep threat as there is in the league, a one-dimensional player like DeSean Jackson never really scores that highly in our grading. You can attribute some of that to his league-leading 19.67% of drops on catchable balls – this Eagle is your vintage boom or bust receiver.

It’s more of a surprise to see Steve Smith just behind him, with injury and poor quarterback play seemingly having a huge impact on Smith’s ability to play to the level we expect from him. Given his stellar performance in recent years, you wouldn’t know how much of this was Smith being bogged down by the problems in Carolina, but it’s something for potential trade partners to consider.

Other noteworthy names near the bottom include Mike Williams of Tampa Bay. The rookie impressed many so much that his peers voted him into their top 100 players of 2011, though it does come as a surprise. He did show a tremendous ability to make plays after the catch, but with 11 drops you start to realize he’s got a way to go before he’s really earned a spot as one of the top receivers.

You could levy the same charge against Steve Johnson of Buffalo, who was capable of looking the real deal one game, and then dropping five passes the next. Consistency and concentration are key attributes of guys who finish highly in these rankings, and it would be fair to say both men could do with working on those attributes to take their already impressive games to the next level.

Wide Receivers, Bottom 15 Drop Percentage, 2010

41 Steve Smith NYG 48 6 54 11.11%

42 Santonio Holmes NYJ 61 8 69 11.59%

43 Jacoby Jones HST 51 7 58 12.07%

44 Michael Crabtree SF 55 8 63 12.70%

45 Wes Welker NE 93 14 107 13.08%

46 Brandon Marshall MIA 86 13 99 13.13%

47 Steve Johnson BUF 82 13 95 13.68%

48 Miles Austin DAL 69 11 80 13.75%

49 Jordy Nelson GB 66 11 77 14.29%

50 Steve Breaston ARZ 47 8 55 14.55%

51 Mike A. Williams TB 64 11 75 14.67%

52 Pierre Garcon IND 72 13 85 15.29%

53 Jerricho Cotchery NYJ 53 10 63 15.87%

54 Steve L. Smith CAR 46 10 56 17.86%

55 DeSean Jackson PHI 49 12 61 19.67%

Looking Deeper

To get a bit further into it, I’ve pulled all the data from the last three years to see who has that consistency over a longer period. The qualifying amount of catchable balls thrown goes up to 120, and the results get more interesting.

Up front, you’ve got two of the perennial favorites in this list with the aforementioned Walter and Fitzgerald showing 2010 was no fluke. Also in the top five, Vincent Jackson shows what Philip Rivers missed last year. His ability to go down the field and make tricky catches, is something that makes him one of the most in-demand receivers, even with a franchise tag on him.

Some of the other names that should be of interest are Austin Collie up in eighth, while Pierre Garcon finished sixth from bottom. They don’t play identical roles in the Colts offense, but you can put some of Peyton Manning’s 2010 struggles on the absence of Austin Collie (as well as Dallas Clark) and extra reliance on the less dependable Garcon.

Wide Receivers, Top 10 Drop Percentage, 2008-2010

1 Kevin Walter HST 164 5 169 2.96%

2 Larry Fitzgerald ARZ 325 11 336 3.27%

3 Eddie Royal DEN 187 9 196 4.59%

4 Vincent Jackson SD 150 8 158 5.06%

5 Lance Moore NO 149 8 157 5.10%

6 Jason Avant PHI 144 8 152 5.26%

7 Anquan Boldin BLT 258 15 273 5.49%

8 Austin Collie IND 135 8 143 5.59%

9 Michael Jenkins ATL 152 10 162 6.17%

10 Derrick Mason BLT 232 16 248 6.45%

Meanwhile down at the bottom you’ve got some pretty big names competing for title of “worst hands” over the past three years. It tells you about the improvements of Edwards that even though he finished just outside the Top 10 in 2010, he finished at the bottom of the three-year rankings (by and large due to those incredible 19 drops in 2008).

Wide Receivers, Bottom 10 Drop Percentage, 2008-2010

36 Santana Moss WAS 242 29 271 10.70%

37 Brandon Marshall MIA 291 37 328 11.28%

38 Nate Washington TEN 136 18 154 11.69%

39 Marques Colston NO 220 30 250 12.00%

40 Pierre Garcon IND 144 20 164 12.20%

41 DeSean Jackson PHI 187 26 213 12.21%

42 Randy Moss MIN 185 26 211 12.32%

43 Terrell Owens CIN 196 28 224 12.50%

44 Dwayne Bowe KC 205 33 238 13.87%

45 Braylon Edwards NYJ 168 29 197 14.72%

So there you have it. The numbers show some steadily good (like Walter and Fitzgerald), some steadily not-so (like Jackson), and even some capable of a huge turnaround (like Edwards). While none of it makes Walter flatly more valuable than the deep threat that is Jackson, maybe a bit more credit is due for the Texan and his role in their offense. Either way, more grist for the mill.

You smoke so much weed.

People are really criticizing Holmes for calling out Schotty in the AFC game??? SCHOTTY DESERVED TO BE CALLED OUT. Why not put your best playmaking receiver in on 3rd down, even if just to provide distraction. Schotty sucks.

1st off i don't post allot but I usually agree with about 90% of the stuff you post but you are missing the point. Do you really want to give a long term WR1 contract to a guy this is on positive test away from missing a season?

The Question is who would you prefer. Not only would I prefer him I think he is the better and more dependable WR and the stats support that. I like his attitude, He is a GREAT blocker he sprung many big running play this year, he wants to be be a Jet said so and said was willing to take a discount to do so. Holmes all ready is working at distancing himself from the team.

No he is in the middle of this gaming sh*t. F him!

Mr.T bring back BE!

You are entitled to your opinion, but the statistics certainly do not support Braylon Edwards being the better more dependable receiver. The stats you posted show that he is the single worst WR over the past 3 years in drops and his numbers were not significantly better than Holmes last season despite playing 25% more games. Holmes is not "in the middle of this gaming sh*t". The whole league is in the middle of this lockout sh*t. Cross that bridge when you get to it, but it is highly unlikely he will be disciplined.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the statistics certainly do not support Braylon Edwards being the better more dependable receiver. The stats you posted show that he is the single worst WR over the past 3 years in drops and his numbers were not significantly better than Holmes last season despite playing 25% more games. Holmes is not "in the middle of this gaming sh*t". The whole league is in the middle of this lockout sh*t. Cross that bridge when you get to it, but it is highly unlikely he will be disciplined.

Statistics as you call them..................dont show how many key blocks Braylon Edwards made during the season.

Holmes is the better player, but with absolutely no supervision from a team these last few months Id be terribly afraid that he is going to come to camp, fail a drug test, and get kicked out for the year. Id go with the safer option even if he isnt as good.

As far as my comments, how exactly do you expect anyone to take you remotely seriously when you're trashing Edwards to make your point and comparing him to practice squad / camp fodder nobodies? Regardless of what you think of Holmes vs Edwards, that stance is really indefensible. You're either trying to troll or... I don't know what.

just to clarify... Edwards does certain things well... he wins jump balls. he run blocks well. He's shown good hands in 1 year (previous year's he's had terrible hands). I think that skillset is more easily replaced than Holmes skillset. I dont want to disparage Edwards. I don't think what he brings is all that rare. Holmes is the deep threat gamebreaker and those guys don't come around all the time. They could replace Edwards with TO or Plex and see similar (not the same) production. Santana Moss from 5 years ago might be able to replace Holmes.

as a general note we don't know if either of these players will play hard on a 2nd contract with big money. We also haven't seen the NYJ give any WR 6-8 mil per year since Keyshawn... maybe some Coles before they traded him. It's been a while. They both could be gone.

Archived