79 members have voted

1. 1. The NYJ can only bring back one receiver

• Edwards
    • Holmes

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, Edwards isn't a play maker.

Dial back to 28 seconds Left in the Colts game. Jets trailing by 2. Sanchez comes to the side line on a 2nd and 9 with 28 seconds left. Begs Schotty to call a certain play. Seasons on the line. Schotty lets Sanchez call the play.

Pass down the right side line, to Who? Edwards. First down at the Colts 14 yard line. 02 seconds left. Jets kick a field goal that sends them to NE, where Edwards drags 2 Pro Bowl DB's into the end zone to move onto the AFC Championship game.

Nah, Edwards don't make no Game changing plays.

Good Grief

Edwards being a playmaker and making some big catches DOES NOT MAKE HIM A BETTER PLAYMAKER THAN HOLMES. Period. I find it hard to believe that you guys watched all the games and feel this way. He had a very nice year and in 16 games barely eclipsed Holmes numbers for 12. Last year (and the year before) he dropped the ball with insane regularity and the very posters that want to sign him at all costs now wanted to crucify him and replace him with Coles last.

Holmes is better. It comes down to the money, the years and the terms. I will happily take either or both. I'd be concerned if they let both walk. Edwards seems to have bought into being "a Jet" more than Holmes has. If that makes you guys want to sign him, good. That's what fans should do, root for their guys. OTOH, the front office should sign the one that is the best value and at equal dollars I think it's Holmes.

Edwards being a playmaker and making some big catches DOES NOT MAKE HIM A BETTER PLAYMAKER THAN HOLMES. Period. I find it hard to believe that you guys watched all the games and feel this way. He had a very nice year and in 16 games barely eclipsed Holmes numbers for 12. Last year (and the year before) he dropped the ball with insane regularity and the very posters that want to sign him at all costs now wanted to crucify him and replace him with Coles last.

Holmes is better. It comes down to the money, the years and the terms. I will happily take either or both. I'd be concerned if they let both walk. Edwards seems to have bought into being "a Jet" more than Holmes has. If that makes you guys want to sign him, good. That's what fans should do, root for their guys. OTOH, the front office should sign the one that is the best value and at equal dollars I think it's Holmes.

This opinion I can at least respect, even if I disagree with it, but you can't deny that the majority of the "Santonio fans" have spent more time trashing Edwards than they have giving any sort of reasoning why Holmes is better. While I may not agree, I get how some people could see both guys as being quality, play-making receivers, but having a preference for Holmes. Although I'm not sure where this idea that last year, or even the year before, Edwards was dropping that many balls. He was admittedly horrid in 2008 in that regard, but was significantly better in 2009 and by far the best on the team last year (that includes significantly better than Holmes).

The funny thing is that most people who prefer Edwards seem to be of the opinion that they also like Holmes as a player and would prefer the Jets keep both. That's certainly my opinion. But I've seen a number of those who prefer Holmes who had done nothing but trash Edwards and been unable to provide a single coherent argument as to why. I won't argue that Holmes is a very good player, I just happen to disagree that he's one of the very best in the league (or even better than Edwards) and when people try to compare Edwards to practice squad nobodies in order to justify that stance, it doesn't give a whole lot of credence to their opinion.

Holmes is the better WR. Bottom line.

No hes not. Braylon is a more complete WR and in our run oriented offense I would rather have a guy whos going to help block and not be afraid to catch a pass 10 yards over the middle. Unlike alliagtor armed Santonio.

Holmes is the better player, but with absolutely no supervision from a team these last few months Id be terribly afraid that he is going to come to camp, fail a drug test, and get kicked out for the year. Id go with the safer option even if he isnt as good.

And this

just to clarify... Edwards does certain things well... he wins jump balls. he run blocks well. He's shown good hands in 1 year (previous year's he's had terrible hands). I think that skillset is more easily replaced than Holmes skillset. I dont want to disparage Edwards. I don't think what he brings is all that rare. Holmes is the deep threat gamebreaker and those guys don't come around all the time. They could replace Edwards with TO or Plex and see similar (not the same) production. Santana Moss from 5 years ago might be able to replace Holmes.

as a general note we don't know if either of these players will play hard on a 2nd contract with big money. We also haven't seen the NYJ give any WR 6-8 mil per year since Keyshawn... maybe some Coles before they traded him. It's been a while. They both could be gone.

So being an all around good receiver is easier to replace ? Whats Holmes skillset ? Alligator arms, no blocking what so ever, Afraid to go over the middle ?? How many slants does Holmes have to drop before people realize hes a pussy,.

So being an all around good receiver is easier to replace ? Whats Holmes skillset ? Alligator arms, no blocking what so ever, Afraid to go over the middle ?? How many slants does Holmes have to drop before people realize hes a pussy,.

Agree

Holmes might be a better WR for teams like The Pats, or Colts, but for the Jets Scheme I'll take Edwards every time. I just hope he isn't to expensive to sign.

The thing in Cleveland with his probation might help that

No hes not. Braylon is a more complete WR and in our run oriented offense I would rather have a guy whos going to help block and not be afraid to catch a pass 10 yards over the middle. Unlike alliagtor armed Santonio.

And this

Besides completely contradicting yourself literally one post later, I still disagree.

Holmes is the better WR, its really not close. If the only reason why you think BE is better is because he blocks, then go get an Anthony Bect and just play him as WR all game so he block for your run first team.

Its pretty obvious Holmes is the better players. Bit said it best, only Jets fans would dare say that BE is a better player than Holmes. And I dont know how you are accusing Holmes of having alligator arms when 90% of his catches are across the middle.

If you're reasoning for not wanting BE over Holmes is because of characters issues, I get it, think thats pretty stupid, but I get it. But if you honestly think BE is a better overall WR, you need your head checked. There's a reason why Holmes was a top 100 players votes by the players along with a large group of WR's and BE didnt even sniff the list and there's a reason why a former DC who had to face both players twice a year, Rex Ryan, clearly thinks Holmes is the better player...its because he is.

Besides completely contradicting yourself literally one post later, I still disagree.

Holmes is the better WR, its really not close. If the only reason why you think BE is better is because he blocks, then go get an Anthony Bect and just play him as WR all game so he block for your run first team.

Its pretty obvious Holmes is the better players. Bit said it best, only Jets fans would dare say that BE is a better player than Holmes. And I dont know how you are accusing Holmes of having alligator arms when 90% of his catches are across the middle.

If you're reasoning for not wanting BE over Holmes is because of characters issues, I get it, think thats pretty stupid, but I get it. But if you honestly think BE is a better overall WR, you need your head checked. There's a reason why Holmes was a top 100 players votes by the players along with a large group of WR's and BE didnt even sniff the list and there's a reason why a former DC who had to face both players twice a year, Rex Ryan, clearly thinks Holmes is the better player...its because he is.

It's debatable what makes a guy a "better player." Is Holmes a more dangerous player after the catch? Sure. Faster? Yeah. But he's never come close to approaching the dominance of Edwards' '07 season if you're just strictly talking about numbers, so it's not like Edwards isn't capable of dominating. He's a special talent when focused and used properly. To compare him to Patrick Turner in terms of "skill set" is like comparing Vernon Gholston to DeMarcus Ware.

It's debatable what makes a guy a "better player." Is Holmes a more dangerous player after the catch? Sure. Faster? Yeah. But he's never come close to approaching the dominance of Edwards' '07 season if you're just strictly talking about numbers, so it's not like Edwards isn't capable of dominating. He's a special talent when focused and used properly. To compare him to Patrick Turner in terms of "skill set" is like comparing Vernon Gholston to DeMarcus Ware.

I never made that comparison.

I want them both back. BE totally won me over, but Holmes is the better player. That's the bottom line. I'm not predicting who we resign, as I have no clue, but I think its very obvious Rex would prefer Holmes, so would I.

This opinion I can at least respect, even if I disagree with it, but you can't deny that the majority of the "Santonio fans" have spent more time trashing Edwards than they have giving any sort of reasoning why Holmes is better. While I may not agree, I get how some people could see both guys as being quality, play-making receivers, but having a preference for Holmes. Although I'm not sure where this idea that last year, or even the year before, Edwards was dropping that many balls. He was admittedly horrid in 2008 in that regard, but was significantly better in 2009 and by far the best on the team last year (that includes significantly better than Holmes).

The funny thing is that most people who prefer Edwards seem to be of the opinion that they also like Holmes as a player and would prefer the Jets keep both. That's certainly my opinion. But I've seen a number of those who prefer Holmes who had done nothing but trash Edwards and been unable to provide a single coherent argument as to why. I won't argue that Holmes is a very good player, I just happen to disagree that he's one of the very best in the league (or even better than Edwards) and when people try to compare Edwards to practice squad nobodies in order to justify that stance, it doesn't give a whole lot of credence to their opinion.

Fair enough analysis.

By the majority of people you are talking about Bit.

Edwards dropped a ton of balls in '09 and some were SUPER blatant. Look at the stats FChowds supplied to support Edwards. He is BY FAR the worst over the last 3 years even though he was top 10 in 2010. His 2008 was horrible, but not THAT bad. We blame that on being on a new team mid-season with a rookie QB. The same things that might apply to Holmes playing a partial 2010.

I think Holmes is more dangerous on any given play and can make a homerun from an easy catch. Edwards works well down the field, but never looks comfortable on the short stuff and doesn't seem like he can do much with WR screens which are a mainstay of this safe offense. On the field I think Holmes is better and it's not even that close. I got this from watching the games. For the dungeons and dragons crowd, Football Outsiders ranks Holmes (32) over Edwards (34) for 2010 and that is with Holmes having a bad year and Edwards a good one.

I also don't think it's that big of a deal which one they get. I've said this before, but either will serve the purpose, but Ducasse at RT scares the living sh*t out of me.

I watched Edwards drop slant after slant in 2009. Worse, on more than one occasion I watched him quit on the slant route and have the ball picked. Let's forget about that.

These guys aren't perfect. They aren't Jerry Rice or Calvin Johnson. If they were they wouldn't be Jets and they wouldn't be FAs. Which one is scarier for the other team? Holmes. The only questions left are whether the money and how scary they are for your own team make it worth scaring defenses.

For the Jets how much bigger was the catch he made in the Colts game with 28 seconds left?

That was a play called by Sanchez

Great game to talk about.. 1st quarter Colts have the ball Pool comes up and makes a great solo tackle the Colts punt us the ball that idiot (Holmes)is back he knows he is not going to catch the ball but what does he do he stands there, does not get out of the way and lets the ball bounce between his ******* legs and it all most hits him. if Manning gets that ball back and marches down the field and scores it would have changed that games momentum big time. Next punt they put J.Co in there shows how much faith the coaching staff has in him. Plus lets not forget the games this year he refused to return kick off's this year. What a TEAM player.

For those who say BE wont go over over the middle 2nd quarter 10:15 left of that AFC Wild card game Mark is all over the place BE jumps up and snags one over the middle right in front of the safety for 24 yards. He is not afraid to go up and get a ball over the middle or run slants.

But to be fair Holmes runs the same little turn in rout on the other side with about 3 in left in the 2nd quarter for the same yardage.

Bigger in the clutch Bit?!? we are up 14-13 3:15 left in the 4th quarter in the same AFC Wild card game 3rd and 5 Mark has been all over the place all day but he put one right on the money to a completely open Santonio Holmes hands and what does he do DROP he catches that it would have forced them to take there time outs and another 1st down game over. how clutch is that?

but i would say BE was pretty clutch with 28 seconds in that game what say you???

BRING BACK BE!!!

Likely a moot point anyway. It looks like it'll be a psycho-compressed FA period. If Holmes ends up with UFA status for any reason, he'll bolt to the highest bidder even if it's Team Al Qaeda. I can see the Collts sneaking in and stealing him.

This is a power running team. Which of the two blocks?

Have any of you bothered to look at Holmes career numbers ? or all you all caught up in the SB MVP issue? The guy fumbles at an alarming rate, hes afraid to go over the middle and make the tough catch, and he wont block in the running game worth a sh*t. Braylons career numbers are slightly better over-all (yet JIF claims hes a far and above better WR ) but Braylon brings a lot more to the table in other areas and last year he made great strides in correcting his drop issues which some of you keep refering to 2009 I refer to now it seems its fixed.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HolmSa00.htm -- Santonio 13 fumbles 29 TD's

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaBr00.htm -- Braylon 5 fumbles 39 TD's

Yards From scrimmage are very similar.

The problem I have with those of you considering Holmes is how you say hes so much better a WR when NOTHING points to that fact other than him having one SB MVP. Without that MVP this guy is a freakin JAG never even sniffed double digit TD's. Braylon fits our offense better and I trust him to make the big catch to move the chains in a critical situation over the middle 10x more than Holmes who only seems to make the occasional Big play and even in that respect hes just about the same as Edwards. Find me one single stat where Holmes is above an beyond better than Edwards JUST ONE. And dont forget last year (the present) Holmes had a large number of Drops NOT EDWARDS.

I wonder how many of you would have Signed LArry Brown the Super Bowl MVP of the Dallas Cowboys based on that alone due to 2 gift wrapped TD's that Neil Odonnel Threw his way. Personally I would Dump Holmes and Keep Edwards and Sign Lance Moore as a FA and be in a much better situation for it.

Have any of you bothered to look at Holmes career numbers ? or all you all caught up in the SB MVP issue? The guy fumbles at an alarming rate, hes afraid to go over the middle and make the tough catch, and he wont block in the running game worth a sh*t. Braylons career numbers are slightly better over-all (yet JIF claims hes a far and above better WR ) but Braylon brings a lot more to the table in other areas and last year he made great strides in correcting his drop issues which some of you keep refering to 2009 I refer to now it seems its fixed.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HolmSa00.htm -- Santonio 13 fumbles 29 TD's

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaBr00.htm -- Braylon 5 fumbles 39 TD's

Yards From scrimmage are very similar.

The problem I have with those of you considering Holmes is how you say hes so much better a WR when NOTHING points to that fact other than him having one SB MVP. Without that MVP this guy is a freakin JAG never even sniffed double digit TD's. Braylon fits our offense better and I trust him to make the big catch to move the chains in a critical situation over the middle 10x more than Holmes who only seems to make the occasional Big play and even in that respect hes just about the same as Edwards. Find me one single stat where Holmes is above an beyond better than Edwards JUST ONE. And dont forget last year (the present) Holmes had a large number of Drops NOT EDWARDS.

I wonder how many of you would have Signed LArry Brown the Super Bowl MVP of the Dallas Cowboys based on that alone due to 2 gift wrapped TD's that Neil Odonnel Threw his way. Personally I would Dump Holmes and Keep Edwards and Sign Lance Moore as a FA and be in a much better situation for it.

You are comparing stats when BE has 18 more games under his belt. The fumbles are interesting...didnt know he was that bad. I thought the ones he had this year were flukes.

And stop saying he doesnt go over the middle. 90% of his catches were on the skinny post, thats going over the middle. And further, we dont have a QB that throws terribly accurate, so we dont really send our WR on crossing routes where receivers go deep over the middle...so thats kind of a silly point.

You can site everything you want and claim anything you want. BE has made huge strides and I like him a lot. Wouldnt be pissed with either...but Holmes is the better player. Just ask the players in this league and Rex Ryan, they'll tell you the same.

You are comparing stats when BE has 18 more games under his belt. The fumbles are interesting...didnt know he was that bad. I thought the ones he had this year were flukes.

And stop saying he doesnt go over the middle. 90% of his catches were on the skinny post, thats going over the middle. And further, we dont have a QB that throws terribly accurate, so we dont really send our WR on crossing routes where receivers go deep over the middle...so thats kind of a silly point.

You can site everything you want and claim anything you want. BE has made huge strides and I like him a lot. Wouldnt be pissed with either...but Holmes is the better player. Just ask the players in this league and Rex Ryan, they'll tell you the same.

You want me to ask Rex ? Rex always talks up his players and you know it so dont go there :rolleyes: . But your claiming Holmes is a better player with nothing at all to back it up/ if our opinions differ based on what we see then the best thing to do is agree to disagree but nothing suggests either player is better than the other when It comes to stats. As Jets both have contirbuted big plays I like Edwards because he is the Bigger target, He blocks in the run game (which is important contrary to others making light of it) and he wants to be a Jet and said he would take less to do it. I dont like Holmes Attitude at ALL he gives the first down sign in the patriot game when we were down by 30 + points I wanted to smash his freakin face in . hes an all about me type player and its no wonder the Steelers shipped his a$$ off for a 5th no way I would sign this guy for the money hes going to wANT

You want me to ask Rex ? Rex always talks up his players and you know it so dont go there :rolleyes: . But your claiming Holmes is a better player with nothing at all to back it up/ if our opinions differ based on what we see then the best thing to do is agree to disagree but nothing suggests either player is better than the other when It comes to stats. As Jets both have contirbuted big plays I like Edwards because he is the Bigger target, He blocks in the run game (which is important contrary to others making light of it) and he wants to be a Jet and said he would take less to do it. I dont like Holmes Attitude at ALL he gives the first down sign in the patriot game when we were down by 30 + points I wanted to smash his freakin face in . hes an all about me type player and its no wonder the Steelers shipped his a$$ off for a 5th no way I would sign this guy for the money hes going to wANT

Well there you have it...you're not even trying to have an unbiased argument. Which I clearly am.

I like both players, a lot. And want both back. But who the better player...by observation, stats and greater opinion. Holmes.

You just dont want to look at the stats that show BE was one of the worst WR's in Football over a 3 year span. You just like to use stats to spin you're biased opinion. Meanwhile, acting like his late game heroics meant nothing to this team and diminishing one of the greatest WR performance in SB history.

Well there you have it...you're not even trying to have an unbiased argument. Which I clearly am.

I like both players, a lot. And want both back. But who the better player...by observation, stats and greater opinion. Holmes.

You just dont want to look at the stats that show BE was one of the worst WR's in Football over a 3 year span. You just like to use stats to spin you're biased opinion. Meanwhile, acting like his late game heroics meant nothing to this team and diminishing one of the greatest WR performance in SB history.

JIF the poll says 37 to 11 in favor of keeping Edwards. No I dont want them both I think there are other FA WR's that are not so slef absorbed as Holmes is. Like I said we can agree to disagree on whos better, the stats are close. BUT if you look at Edwards situation, He lit it up with 16 TDs in 06 then Mangini stepped in and that offense went from one of the most promising in the league to a complete disaster and Edwards suffered as well in that scenario with revolving QB's. Then he came to the Jets in week 5 and had to learn a new system with a rookie QB at the helm and his numbers are still on par with Holmes who had One of the best Qb's in the game throwing to him in a very stable offense yet his numbers were just ordinary.

Once again the numbers are close but Holmes is half a WR IMO and Ill take the big target in the redzone everytime along with all the other things Edwards does that Holmes does not.

JIF the poll says 37 to 11 in favor of keeping Edwards. No I dont want them both I think there are other FA WR's that are not so slef absorbed as Holmes is. Like I said we can agree to disagree on whos better, the stats are close. BUT if you look at Edwards situation, He lit it up with 16 TDs in 06 then Mangini stepped in and that offense went from one of the most promising in the league to a complete disaster and Edwards suffered as well in that scenario with revolving QB's. Then he came to the Jets in week 5 and had to learn a new system with a rookie QB at the helm and his numbers are still on par with Holmes who had One of the best Qb's in the game throwing to him in a very stable offense yet his numbers were just ordinary.

Once again the numbers are close but Holmes is half a WR IMO and Ill take the big target in the redzone everytime along with all the other things Edwards does that Holmes does not.

Only Jets fan would dare say BE is better than Holmes. The top 100 list from both players and fans support that statement.

Doesnt really matter either way, but I think if you look at this season, its pretty clear Sanchez prefer Holmes too, he threw to him much more than BE once he was active on the roster.

Likely a moot point anyway. It looks like it'll be a psycho-compressed FA period. If Holmes ends up with UFA status for any reason, he'll bolt to the highest bidder even if it's Team Al Qaeda. I can see the Collts sneaking in and stealing him.

Agree

When all is said and done, Holmes goes to the highest bidder. I think the Jets will go with the guy who wants to be here for a million or so cheaper.

Doesnt really matter either way, but I think if you look at this season, its pretty clear Sanchez prefer Holmes too, he threw to him much more than BE once he was active on the roster.

I think whenever Sanchez gets a shiny new toy he gets tunnel vision. I agree that Holmes is the better WR than Edwards, but the above is a moot point.

but you can't deny that the majority of the "Santonio fans" have spent more time trashing Edwards than they have giving any sort of reasoning why Holmes is better.

I really don't see anyone in here trashing Edwards. Saying that Holmes is a better playmaker, isn't saying that Edwards sucks and is terrible. You just won't see him making those crazy corner endzone grabs that Holmes has made famous. I love Edwards, but it's obvious to anyone who watches football that Holmes is better at turning nothing into something, and as a playmaker. They both compliment each other well, though. I'd be happy with either or, but Holmes is the more valuable option for the future if we have to pick one.

You are comparing stats when BE has 18 more games under his belt.

last year Braylon had 4 more games than Holmes, but Santonio had 1 less catch (53 vs 52) and 1 less TD (7 vs 6).

yes technically Braylon had a more productive year but Holmes was more productive on a per game basis.

oh and by the way Edwards played in 16 games but only started 15. Why? cause he was ARRESTED MID WEEK.

i've yet to hear a Braylon defender explain that little tidbit away.

last year Braylon had 4 more games than Holmes, but Santonio had 1 less catch (53 vs 52) and 1 less TD (7 vs 6).

yes technically Braylon had a more productive year but Holmes was more productive on a per game basis.

oh and by the way Edwards played in 16 games but only started 15. Why? cause he was ARRESTED MID WEEK.

I want both. I like BE. My preference is Holmes, but I can see both sides. But I think Mark favors Holmes and so does the franchise.

We really need to do everything possible to bring both back. I don't doubt that Cotch isn't capable of a comeback season, but he was DREADFUL last year, be it due to Sanchez's throws or other factors.

I'd rather let go of Cromartie and, if necessary, other guy(s) if it means keeping Holmes and Edwards around. Lord knows our passing game will go back to sucking if we lose either.

There's no real reason to explain it away. It's easy, because Braylon is a dipsh*t. Holmes just happens to be a bigger dipsh*t. Neither one deserves to have their actions explained away. Right or wrong, the NFL just happens to take MUCH greater issue with Holmes' actions than Braylon's. Let's not forget, you're the one here who keeps trying to justify why Holmes' multiple failed drug tests and repeated statements he will not change his behavior is completely acceptable.

I would prefer if both were model citizens, but neither is. Welcome to the NFL.

Archived