The hardcore (music) scene is changing...

vinnys025

Larz just made me realize that you were the one that said this about Lady Gaga.

Very confused if you grew up on bands like the ones above and you have this opinion about Lady Gaga. lmfao

Yes, thats exactly why it was brought up, however those are Christian bands, so his attempt was futile. The bands I grew up on are a different story..that was decades ago. Are we going to talk about what we did 10 years ago now and bring up something from another thread altogether now?? Geez....you guys are relentless in here. lol

Never been a huge hardcore fan, but a bunch of gym acquaintances dragged me to a Lamb of God show like 9-10 years ago, scariest sh*t I've ever seen in my life. All of a sudden the lead singer announces it's time for this thing they do called the Wall of Death. The crowd blocks off in to two sides and then bumrushes each other like some sh*t out of Braveheart. Bodies strewn everywhere, there was this dude just waiting in the middle before everyone ran in that was daring everyone to come at him. My friend Rob, who's one of the most roided up psychopaths that's ever come out of Jersey, got right out in front and floored the dude as soon as the chaos started. Never seen anything like it before in my life. I had absolutely no qualms about standing off to the side with a beer and being labeled a pussy later on in the evening.

I did however, jump in the middle of a Slayer pit at Ozzfest once upon a time. Which was basically something my friend made me do because I lost a bet to him on Kaz Matsui, and he gave me the option of jumping in the pit instead of paying him. The bet was for like 200 bucks, and I was in college at the time, so in I went. The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli.

Anyway I guess my point is that at the couple of these shows that I was taken to, I remember seeing a few guys in their 30's there, and now that I'm in my 30's, I don't understand it. Don't you have work in the morning? Doesn't your back or your knees or your neck hurt everyday anyways? Your girlfriend or wife's cool with this? Does this remotely impress chicks at the bar? sh*t's for the kids. And I guess I get it, these guys have a reason to have a lot of pent up frustration. They're chubby, pasty kids who aren't athletic, are fairly dumb, and can't get laid. I'd want to go out and hit random people too. Horrible luck of the draw right there.

Anyway I guess my point is that at the couple of these shows that I was taken to, I remember seeing a few guys in their 30's there, and now that I'm in my 30's, I don't understand it. Don't you have work in the morning? Doesn't your back or your knees or your neck hurt everyday anyways? Your girlfriend or wife's cool with this? Does this remotely impress chicks at the bar? sh*t's for the kids.

On rare occassion, I will still go to a show, but it's always either to see a friend's band, or some other old band that has either been around for 10+ years or is playing a reunion gig. I go to see the band(s), have a few drinks, and hang out with some friends. I don't need to be showing up to my corporate job with a black eye, just like I don't need to miss a month of work to have my ACL reconstructed from a flag football injury, which is why I quit playing after seeing it happen to multiple friends/teammates.

And I guess I get it, these guys have a reason to have a lot of pent up frustration. They're chubby, pasty kids who aren't athletic, are fairly dumb, and can't get laid. I'd want to go out and hit random people too. Horrible luck of the draw right there.

That demographic is definitely represented, though it's actually a pretty odd collection of different types. It ranges from the kids who are outcasts that never fit in anywhere else, the meatheads and criminals who think shows are a good place to work out their roid rages and/or fulfill their sociopathic machinaitons, to brilliant, witty, charasmatic, athletic chaps like yours truly Interestingly enough, a lot of the kids from the "youth crew"-type straight-edge bands were jocks who wore varsity jackets who were usually from the 'burbs of Jersey or Connecticut. One common thread I found is a high concentration of short kids, which is more noticeable when you tower over 80% of the kids at any given show.

The way HxC kids dance nowadays....

All I see is a bunch of skinny dooshers throwing jabs (the kind that'll break their wrists if they connect) and doing gymnastics.

This is what metal and 2 generations of stupid kids has done to dancing at a punk rock / hardcore show.

So glad I'm all growed up already...

Archived